Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Barr looks to be falling

Legend
    If he drops, I'd take him. This was the kid I wanted us to draft before I had any clue where guys would be selected. Then I've started ignoring him because I thought he'd go too high. If he drops, we should be all over him.

I'd seriously look to move JJ inside if we could get Barr.

Legend
    No... and I will admit the only reason I'm saying no is because I see the dreaded word "upside"

Upside should be in the 3rd to 6th round. I want a stud at 15.

Legend
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Only question I have is what side do you play him? Both Jones & Barr play the same side. Who goes to the left?
    Schiavone's Race Career:

Starts- 9
    Wins- 1
    2nd- 4
    3rd- 0
    Other- 4

Prizemoney- $28,050.00

23 and a half sacks 10 ff in his only two years starting the position runs a 4.4 forty? That is what he did and is raw at the position?l
    Dizz, I too have issues with "upside" guys, but it is with upside guys who have not shown anything as a player.
    12 sacks a year on average over two seasons ain't nothing to sneeze at.

Compare that to JJ who was weak AND slow but productive in college with 13 sacks a year, EXPERIENCED at the position,

Prediction:
    Not only will he "end up" better than Jarvis j, he will be a better rookie than Jones was.

There's as much hype about Barr as an edge pass rusher as anyone not named Jadeveon Clowney, but these spotlight videos show he still has plenty of work to do to become a complete edge player. That said, the speed, the burst, the closing ability, the fluidity and the athleticism are ALL evident. As a senior in 2013, he created mayhem in bunches. He'd have games in which he couldn't be blocked and then another contest in which he completely disappeared. Against Arizona in 2013, he didn't register one stat. Not one tackle. Not one sack. No real impact at all. That's my biggest worry...that he dominated competition with his speed and athleticism for so long that he'll struggle making the adjustment as a football player.

Case in point, against Stanford in 2012, his only sack/hurry in the game came when he twisted inside on T-E stunt. Stanford OT David Yankey did solid job on him. Barr played exclusively on the right side, forcing him to both play in space and fight against jumbo sets.

Against USC in 2012, UCLA allowed USC back in the game after leading 24-7, but as the game got tight in the fourth quarter, UCLA unleashed Barr on the Trojan offense. UCLA moved Barr around, putting him at a pseudo inside linebacker position. Then, it let him find the fastest path to the quarterback. He didn't do much from the perimeter, but when he moved inside and freelanced a bit, he became an animal. It's crystal clear that he's one of the most impressive athletes in this draft class, but his perimeter game needs work. He can't win with pure speed on every rush and he must prove he can use his hands better to get off blocks. Yet, when the game was on the line in the fourth quarter, Barr was involved in nearly every big play rushing former USC star QB Matt Barkley.

Barr will have everybody eating out of the palm of his hand with the Underwear Olympics about to unfold over the next few months. But, Barr, the football player, has plenty of work to do to make the transition to the next level.

Pros
    In sprinter's stance, his first step is blazing fast
    Clearly, athleticism is evident
    Smooth change of direction, speed, the whole package
    Excellent run/pass read when removed from the box vs. twins or trips
    On inside T-E twist, he's so quick G can't react.
    Showed positional versatility, lined up at ILB on delay blitz and drilled QB
    USC slid blocking scheme away from him in 2nd half; he evaded RB and then QB, twice
    Spin move is lethal

Cons
    Not violent at the point of attack against the run
    Doesn't disengage on contact - stays on blocks too long
    Straight up, feet square, teams can drive him off the ball
    Pass coverage/route recognition and understanding needs work, lost in coverage
    Showed little ability to get to the quarterback - no pass rush moves at all - faced TE and T at times though

http://www.thesidelineview.com/scout...t/anthony-barr

Very athletic that's for sure, but a lot of his plays are speed moves. Not a well rounded OLB at all. Mostly played on the right side, where JJ is at now. Tough call for me, I would rather pass on him. Would the FO appear to have given up on JJ? I didn't like JJ last year in the draft either, for many of the same reasons - weak, gets lost in traffic, easily blocked by TE at times.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

"He opened the 2012 season by recording a sack in six straight games on his way to a 13.5-sack season. Steelers linebacker Jarvis Jones, then at Georgia, was the only NCAA player with more" (Saavy career LBer JJ led the nation with one more sack).

Barr had never played the position prior to 2012.

Yes he has great upside, because he is so new.

But his starting point is already elite college productivity which tells me he will be scary good.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...wiC6FeYAnthony Barr

No thanks to Barr. I want a guy who I know has the tools to be great. Mosley is that guy.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Because you read his weaknesses you come to the conclusion that he is a project?

I'll say this, since I have seen him play all of his games the past two years, other than Khalil Mack, he is the most NFL ready 3-4 OLB in this draft. Some of you are missing the boat on Barr.
    I haven't seen every game, but I've seen a lot. And, in those games, he is usually a finesse player. He choses to run around blocks and cannot hold the POA. I don't think he is NFL ready (for first and second down at least).

BUT, I do love his athleticism and upside. I would think that Carnell Lake has plenty of contacts at UCLA still. If the Steelers believe they can develop him, they will not hesitate to pick him.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Quote Originally Posted by thor75 View Post
    Very athletic that's for sure, but a lot of his plays are speed moves. Not a well rounded OLB at all. Mostly played on the right side, where JJ is at now. Tough call for me, I would rather pass on him. Would the FO appear to have given up on JJ? I didn't like JJ last year in the draft either, for many of the same reasons - weak, gets lost in traffic, easily blocked by TE at times.
    Nevertheless, the only thing that kept JJ from a number of sacks was speed. He had PLENTY of "almost got there" despite not being that strong.

Here are is the major difference in the two.

JJ got his numbers in college based on hustle and experience.

In 2012 Barr was the most productive pass rusher not named Jones in all of college football not knowing what the heck he was doing because of pure talent and ridiculous speed. That in a sense is a good thing.

So much of the criticisms are things that come with experience, technique. That can be taught. He can be a very good prob just with that. That means he has little risk and is a safe pick.

Add strength, which he could easily do with that frame, he is so fast he could lose a step and be a fast freak. There is no ceiling for this guy.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 05-06-2014 at 11:13 AM.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    23 and a half sacks 10 ff in his only two years starting the position runs a 4.4 forty? That is what he did and is raw at the position?l
    Dizz, I too have issues with "upside" guys, but it is with upside guys who have not shown anything as a player.
    12 sacks a year on average over two seasons ain't nothing to sneeze at.

Compare that to JJ who was weak AND slow but productive in college with 13 sacks a year, EXPERIENCED at the position,

Prediction:
    Not only will he "end up" better than Jarvis j, he will be a better rookie than Jones was.
    Every time I read "upside" I think of Sweed...lol. I can't help it.

I'm also skeptical of Pac 12 defenders because a lot of those games are high scoring affairs.