Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steelers need to improve linebacker depth in draft

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBucks View Post
    I'd take your mock 1st round pick over the both of them put together.
    Now we're talkin'. I think VW will be a helluva backup ala Foote, but Mosely has the football IQ and pass coverage ability you would like to see compliment Timmons.

I just haven't seen many ILB's with all the skills this year. I like Andrew Jackson from W. Kentucky but he is a two down run stopper. Mosely has the three down skills. Depends on whether the Steelers think he is worthy at 15. If not, I'm fine with CB Fuller.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBucks View Post
    IMO, we're lowering our standards at ILB if we start thinking Vince Williams is good.

hey, the standard is the standard
    steelers = 3 ring circus with tomlin being the head clown

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thor75 View Post
    He's serviceable, not great. But I would take him over Foote again. Last year and this year.
    I think serviceable would be an improvement for Vince Williams. Larry Foote, who has been crapped on by some for the entirety of his tenure with the team, was solid and still would have been solid last year. Vince Williams was not solid or serviceable. I think that he can be serviceable as a two down run stuffer, but I don't see much upside beyond that.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    I think serviceable would be an improvement for Vince Williams. Larry Foote, who has been crapped on by some for the entirety of his tenure with the team, was solid and still would have been solid last year. Vince Williams was not solid or serviceable. I think that he can be serviceable as a two down run stuffer, but I don't see much upside beyond that.
    As long as he keeps Kion Wilson from ever seeing the field I might throw out the term savior...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    As long as he keeps Kion Wilson from ever seeing the field I might throw out the term savior...
    Kion Wilson is living proof of the Steelers desperation at the position.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    I liked Foote before he went to Detroit and he was good in 2012. In hindsight, I liked that VW got 11 starts worth of experience so we can start getting rid of some of the older vets. I don't see where Foote would have made the difference to the defense last year. But its hard to speculate on a 13yr vet versus a rookie. Especially with the d-lines emphasis more on penetrating than occupying.

I agree VW is a 2 down run guy, but that experience will help him be the next Foote giving depth at a position of need right now, and in a younger body.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska