Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers Should Have Waited Until 2014 to Draft Developmental QB

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    If the Steelers put Jones on the PS, then if a team takes him they have to make one of their 53, I believe. I just don't see that happening. You would have to be in dire straits to take Jones off of our PS and put him on your 53 man roster.

Pappy

If we cut him he can sign on to anyone's PS/53 man roster. If he first signs onto our PS, then he has to go to the 53 man roster of another team.

Josh Freeman has had seasons where he posted 25 TD/6 INT and 27 TD/17 INT. The 25/6 season definitely wouldn't happen from most backup QBS, and to pull a 27/17 season out of a backup would be a win.

I don't see any risk in bringing the guy in to be the #3 behind Ben and Bruce. Sit and learn the offense, no rush to be the star or savior, and see what he has.

for the record - I think Gradkowski would be fine playing with the 1st team offense. Not great, but he would be ok. Even Ben would suck behind the 2nd team O-Line.

Legend
    cut jones NOW

Pro Bowler
    They should bring back OMAR JACOBS

I was thinking that the Seahawks would likely end up putting Terrelle Pryor on the waiver wire but now I hear that he's playing pretty well and is the #2 QB up in Seattle. I know he has some charcter issues but I kind of liked him as a potential young backup to Ben.

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by Notleadpoisoned View Post
    I was thinking that the Seahawks would likely end up putting Terrelle Pryor on the waiver wire but now I hear that he's playing pretty well and is the #2 QB up in Seattle. I know he has some charcter issues but I kind of liked him as a potential young backup to Ben.
    He doesnt really have character issues.

He was a spoiled kid at OSU, and was suspended for taking "gifts" right? Tattoos i think.

He has passing the ball issues though, should really be a TE, ive always said that. He didnt want to play in pittsburgh though, he said he wanted to get away from his home town area.

Guy was one of the best basketball players ive ever seen

Speaking of Omar Jacobs, if 2013 was too soon to draft a developmental QB, then picking Jacobs in 2006 was 100X loopier.

Pro Bowler
    Well i think the general idea of drafting a QB to develop is to get a decent backup and a Matt Schaub, Matt Flynn, Matt Cassle kind of return on them. Basically you draft someone named Matt and trade them for a second round pick.

Drafting Jacobs and Dixon were trying to see if they could find a gem to back up injury prone ben and maybe trade them away, drafting Jones was more like a look to the future with the same idea that he could be traded away. I thought for sure they were going to take Tyler Bray, and even Mettenberger this season would have been ok with me if they wanted to grab him in the 5th or 6th

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by RobinCole View Post
    Speaking of Omar Jacobs, if 2013 was too soon to draft a developmental QB, then picking Jacobs in 2006 was 100X loopier.
    Don't forget the "wonderful" Tee Martin pick
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Quote Originally Posted by The Man of Steel View Post
    The Steelers should try to get Mike Reilly back on the roster. Apparently he's found himself a nice career up there in the CFL. For those who don't remember him, he was the QB from Central Washington that Ron Jaworski had a man-crush on and who also once boldly compared him to Tom Brady.
    I forgot all about Mike Reilly ever being on the Steelers roster. Looks like he's doing pretty well in the CFL.