Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Steve McLendon primed for bigger role?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Steve McClendon kind of reminds me of how boxing analysts used to describe Evander Holyfield as a "pumped up heavyweight," which is basically saying that Holyfield was a natural light heavyweight trying to be an unnatural heavyweight. In McClendon's case he just keeps getting bigger and bigger to play the NT position but IMHO McClendon is a natural 4-3 defensive end posing unsuccessfully as a 3-4 NT.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Long before McClendon we all knew that overtraining can make a player weaker. What he's saying sounds plausible to me, so let's hope he has diagnosed the problem and fixed it. If he is as good an unnatural nose tackle as Holyfield was an unnatural heavyweight, that would be OK with me.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by The Man of Steel View Post
    Steve McClendon kind of reminds me of how boxing analysts used to describe Evander Holyfield as a "pumped up heavyweight," which is basically saying that Holyfield was a natural light heavyweight trying to be an unnatural heavyweight. In McClendon's case he just keeps getting bigger and bigger to play the NT position but IMHO McClendon is a natural 4-3 defensive end posing unsuccessfully as a 3-4 NT.
    Of course, Holyfield is now regarded as one of the top 10 (possibly top 5) Heavyweights that ever lived. He whipped on a lot of the supposedly "natural" Heavyweights. If we got anywhere near the same kind of legacy from the "pumped up" McLendon, sign me up immediately!