Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bill Polian: Steelers should steer clear of Ebron

Legend

User Info Menu

Bill Polian: Steelers should steer clear of Ebron

Polian: Steelers should steer clear of Ebron

May, 2, 2014
    By Scott Brown | ESPN.com

PITTSBURGH -- Mel Kiper Jr. and Todd McShay will critique draft picks that are made in less than a week. The ESPN analysts took their own respective turns in the hot seat Thursday night on ESPN2.

The two engaged in a head-to-head, three-round mock draft with Kiper picking for teams with even-numbered draft picks and McShay picking for those with odd-numbered picks. Their selections were followed by analysis from former NFL general manager Bill Polian and former NFL director of pro personnel Louis Riddick.

And Polian didn't opt for subtlety after McShay picked North Carolina tight end Eric Ebron for the Steelers at No. 15 overall.

"He's a Pittsburgh Steeler and he doesn't block. That doesn't compute," Polian, a six-time NFL Executive of the Year, said of Ebron. "I don't think he's ready to play in the NFL right now. I think he's too immature. I don't think his feet are firmly planted on the ground. Yeah, he has ability but that only gets you so far."

Ebron may be one of the more polarizing players in the draft.

The 6-foot-4, 250-pounder is the best tight end in the draft and an undeniable talent. Ebron, who caught 62 passes for 973 yards in his final season at North Carolina, has the size and athleticism to create mismatches.

And he is part of the new wave of tight ends who have become such a commodity because of their ability to put stress on opposing defenses.

Ebron would give quarterback Ben Roethlisberger a tall target, and he would add a pass-catcher to a group that doesn't have a reliable one after veteran Heath Miller.

But as a blocker he can most diplomatically be described as a work in progress.

Or, as McShay said recently, “He’s a buffet blocker if you will. He kind of picks and chooses when he wants to get interested. But what he does well it’s just hard to find guys that can do it at the level that he does as far as stretching the field vertically and creating after the catch.”

Ebron may be too much of a gamble for the Steelers to pick at No. 15, especially since they have more pressing needs. McShay picked him for the Steelers with Michigan State’s Darqueze Dennard off the board though with every other cornerback still available.

Riddick said he would have taken a cornerback for the Steelers, and he is especially high on Virginia Tech's Kyle Fuller. Polian added of Ebron, "I would not risk this guy in a Pittsburgh offense that requires you to block."

As for the Steelers' other two picks, Kiper took LSU wide receiver Jarvis Landry for them in the second round (No. 46 overall). McShay picked Clemson cornerback Bashaud Breeland for the Steelers in the third round (No. 97 overall).

[URL]http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/tag/_/name/darqueze-dennard[/URL]

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

1.) I think Polian is one of the most underrated football minds in the world. Sure, he has his ESPN gig for a reason, but I don't think the average fan realizes the three incredible team-building jobs this guy pulled off. 1. The 1990's Bills featuring Jim Kelly, Bruce Smith, Andre Reed, Thurman Thomas, James Lofton, Kent Hull, John Fina, Phil Hansen, Henry Jones, Talley, Nate Odems, et al. Yea, joke that they went to 4 straight Super Bowls and never won one, but fact is, that was an incredibly talented team and Polian was the engineer. 2.) The 1996 Carolina Panthers. For a 2nd-year expansion team to go 12-4 and make the conference championship, well, that is incredibly impressive, and it was BP's work. 3.) The 2000's Indy Colts. Endless div. championships, play offs and a SB win. That was his work. Sure, he had Peyton Manning, and who made that decision to draft him over Leaf? Can you imagine if they made the wrong call there?

2.) Prior to reading this article, I made the exact same points, obviously, with less information. So, now, I believe more than ever that Ebron is immature and mostly likely selfish. We simply don't need someone like that. Take him off our board. I'd be happy with Dennard, Gilbert or Mike Evans. Any of them would be fine with me.

Legend

User Info Menu

Hageman is growing on me if the 'top targets' are off the board..there's not many quality 3-4 DE's in this draft, not with his size & athletic ability.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Legend

User Info Menu

I agree with Polian. The life of my television would be at risk if Ebron is taken at #15.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Hageman is growing on me if the 'top targets' are off the board..there's not many quality 3-4 DE's in this draft, not with his size & athletic ability.
    Chadman, I am just very cautious about another first rounder spent on a DL man. I know that failure in the past does not guarantee future failure, but.......we used to find DEs in the 5,6,7th. Supposedly, due to the skills needed (plugging, gap control, but not sacks and tackles, so much) we should be able to find good ones later. That used to be the case any how.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Agreed that Ebron is immature, but then... what big-time pass-catcher isn't pretty extremely immature. I mean, there are examples. But in general, they are immature. Mike Evans is supposed to be the greatest thing since sliced bread, but he IS as immature and self-centered as a guy like Ebron.

Legend

User Info Menu

Stay clear of Ebron...got it. You hear that O?
    Trolls are people too.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I will be in search of a new laptop and a new tv if the Steelers select Ebron in the first.
    2022 NFL Mock Draft
    -------------------------------------------
    1. Malik Willis, QB; Liberty
    2. Daniel Faalele, OT; Minnesota
    3. Dante Stills, DT; West Virginia
    7. Riley Moss, CB; Iowa

Legend

User Info Menu

2014 Steelers mock draft: Todd McShay grabs Eric Ebron with 15th pick of a three-round dual mock draft

By Neal Coolong on May 2 2014

ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay and Mel Kiper took turns making picks over the current order of the first three rounds in the 2014 NFL Draft. The first pick was a bit surprising.

Wait a minute, what?

Neither of the most popular mock drafters, ESPN's Mel Kiper and Todd McShay, had sent North Carolina tight end Eric Ebron to the Steelers with the 15th pick. They combined on a mock draft Friday, with McShay taking the honors for the Steelers.

He seems excited with his selection.

Analysis: After Kiper reaches to take Pryor for the Bears, I get to select the 11th-ranked player on my board at No. 15. Ebron will give Ben Roethlisberger a big-time weapon in the passing game.

Kiper threw another curveball in the second round, taking LSU wide receiver Jarvis Landry (completing the trifecta of having a Jarvis Jones, a Landry Jones and a Jarvis Landry on the same team, and expecting the NFL to announce running back Jones Jones-Landry is automatically assigned to the Steelers in 2015).

Kiper's explanation throws out an immediate qualifier against criticism.

Analysis: Roll the tape and you won't care if Landry runs a 4.3 or a 5.3. I know this looks odd after Todd went with Ebron in Round 1, but I need another wide receiver, and CB (a need) at this slot is a value issue, especially with system fit in mind. I consider a prominent nose tackle option, but pass.

McShay rounds out the Steelers choices by grabbing Clemson cornerback Bashaud Breeland with the 97th pick.

Analysis: We have to get younger in the secondary and having taken two pass-catchers in this draft already, we'll go with our eighth-ranked cornerback in Breeland. His aggressiveness in run support makes him a good fit.

To summarize...the Steelers selected the "eighth-best" cornerback in the draft, a tight end that needs to develop and the 11th wide receiver taken. We have a pretty good feeling how this will be received by fans, and we're excited to read the comments.

[URL]http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2014-nfl-mock-drafts/2014/5/2/5675008/espn-kiper-mcshay-mock-draft-results-selections-list-nfl-2014-steelers?utm_source=behindthesteelcurtain&utm_medi um=nextclicks&utm_campaign=articlebottom[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Finally

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount