Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 29 of 29

Thread: Biggest Mistake for the past 3 years...

  1. #21
    Legend Shawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    11,037
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Haley's side of the ball was on the upswing. It was Lebeau's side of the ball that has been failing more each year.
    Agreed, we are focusing on the wrong side of the ball. It's why I am a bit surprised you would advocate for a first round O pick.
    1. Carl Lawson-DE/OLB Auburn
    2. Marcus Williams-FS Utah
    3 Jake Butt-TE Michigan
    3B. Raekwon McMillan-ILB tOSU
    4. Ahkello Witherspoon-CB Colorado
    5. Eddie Vanderdoes-DT/DE UCLA
    6. Josh Malone-WR Tennessee
    7. Tarik "The Human Joystick" Cohen-RB/WR/PR, NCA+T

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    Except New Orleans IS his home and he said he took less to play there.
    Yes, he took less to play there. However he was willing to stay in Pittsburgh if they had offered him a decent contract. If you had seen the interview he made that pretty clear.

  3. #23
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    16,273
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Agreed, we are focusing on the wrong side of the ball. It's why I am a bit surprised you would advocate for a first round O pick.
    I advocate it because a player on "O" in Round 1 would not be a 2-3 year project. I have always said the Round 1 pick should be one who contributes early, especially when we pick in the middle of Round 1.
    1. Charles Harris-OLB, Missouri
    2. Rasul Douglas-CB, West Virginia
    3. Chris Godwin-WR, Penn State
    4. John Johnson-S, Boston College
    5. James Conner-RB, Pitt
    6. Nazair Jones-DT, North Carolina
    7. Garrett Sickels, DE/OLB, Penn State

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    Yes, he took less to play there. However he was willing to stay in Pittsburgh if they had offered him a decent contract. If you had seen the interview he made that pretty clear.
    I didn't get that from any interviews I read from him...

    The way I understood it, he was going to see if NOLA offered him something...he wanted to go home...

  5. #25
    Legend Shawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    11,037
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I advocate it because a player on "O" in Round 1 would not be a 2-3 year project. I have always said the Round 1 pick should be one who contributes early, especially when we pick in the middle of Round 1.
    That's a terrible reason to pick or not pick someone.
    1. Carl Lawson-DE/OLB Auburn
    2. Marcus Williams-FS Utah
    3 Jake Butt-TE Michigan
    3B. Raekwon McMillan-ILB tOSU
    4. Ahkello Witherspoon-CB Colorado
    5. Eddie Vanderdoes-DT/DE UCLA
    6. Josh Malone-WR Tennessee
    7. Tarik "The Human Joystick" Cohen-RB/WR/PR, NCA+T

  6. #26
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    16,273
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    That's a terrible reason to pick or not pick someone.
    I disagree. Picking in the middle of Round 1 a player of that skill level should be able to get playing time. Other teams seem to have no issue but we make excuses because we struggle to get them playing time.
    1. Charles Harris-OLB, Missouri
    2. Rasul Douglas-CB, West Virginia
    3. Chris Godwin-WR, Penn State
    4. John Johnson-S, Boston College
    5. James Conner-RB, Pitt
    6. Nazair Jones-DT, North Carolina
    7. Garrett Sickels, DE/OLB, Penn State

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I disagree. Picking in the middle of Round 1 a player of that skill level should be able to get playing time. Other teams seem to have no issue but we make excuses because we struggle to get them playing time.
    I wouldn't expect big contributions from any rookie on either side of the ball. There are a few positions - RB, ILB and OL - where rookies seem to contribute. Otherwise, throughout the league, most guys don't really make an impact until their second year.

  8. #28
    Legend RuthlessBurgher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Posts
    27,009
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    That's a terrible reason to pick or not pick someone.
    Agreed. Give me someone like Troy Polamalu who contributes very little as a rookie but then goes on to a Hall of Fame caliber career...all day, every day. We drafted another 1st rounder named Troy who had an immediate impact as a rookie (61 catches for 714 yards and 5 TD's) and then Mr. Edwards did jack squat after that. Immediate impact is vastly overrated. Best player over the long haul is where it's at, for sure.


    Ruthless 2017 Mock Draft:
    1.30 ILB Zach Cunningham 6'3" 234 Vanderbilt
    2.62 OLB Jordan Willis 6'4" 255 Kansas State
    3.94 CB Sidney Jones 6'0" 186 Washington
    3.105c DE Tanoh Kpassagnon 6'7" 289 Villanova
    4.135 CB Howard Wilson 6'1" 184 Houston
    5.173 FS John Johnson 6'1" 205 Boston College
    6.213 TE Michael Roberts 6'4" 270 Toledo
    7.248 RB Elijah Hood 6'0" 232 North Carolina

    2015 MNF Executive Champion!

  9. #29
    Legend hawaiiansteel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hawaii 5-0
    Posts
    17,181
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I advocate it because a player on "O" in Round 1 would not be a 2-3 year project. I have always said the Round 1 pick should be one who contributes early, especially when we pick in the middle of Round 1.
    with your drafting philosophy the Steelers would have never picked Troy or Timmons...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •