Thread: New Steelers WR adjusting to Big Ben

Legend

User Info Menu

New Steelers WR adjusting to Big Ben

PITTSBURGH -- Lance Moore had yet to line up new living arrangements when he arrived in Pittsburgh last week for the start of the team's offseason program.

While he still may be bunking with teammate and close friend Bruce Gradkowski, this much is certain: when it comes to one of the Steelers' free-agent signees, things are moving briskly at his new football home.

Moore took part in passing drills Tuesday with the quarterbacks, wide receivers, tight ends and running backs at Steelers' headquarters, and the players-only workouts mark the start of his adjustment from one franchise quarterback to another.

After catching pass from Drew Brees in New Orleans for nine seasons, Moore is now getting used to Ben Roethlisberger and it is something that will take time.

“I would say that Ben has a little bit stronger of an arm, maybe a lot stronger arm,” Moore said. “Just from the last couple of days with him here, that's something that kind of jumps out at me. If you are kind of lazy with your eyes the ball will zoom right past you. That's something that I will have to adjust to. I feel like the quarterback should never really have to adjust to the receiver.”

Moore and the receivers have done more than just play pitch and catch with Roethlisberger and the other Steelers quarterbacks.

“(Tuesday) we were actually on the field doing more play stuff,” Moore said. “We aren't just throwing routes and stuff like that. That was kind of cool to bring that aspect in so early to try to get a leg up on what is going on when we start doing (OTAs) here pretty soon.”

Moore, who signed with the Steelers after getting released by the Saints in a cost-cutting move, said he anticipates filling the role that Jerricho Cotchery had last season as the Steelers' No. 3 wide receiver.

Like Cotchery, Moore may also be a veteran that youngster Markus Wheaton latches onto as learns the nuances of being a wide receiver at this level.

“He's a guy that is similarly built to me and I feel like I can definitely help him out,” Moore said. “We've been talking a lot about route running and stuff like that.”

New city, new organization and new teammates, but one thing hasn't changed for Moore: He is still playing with one of the top quarterbacks in the NFL.

He must be doing something right to go from Brees to Roethlisberger when some wide receivers play their entire career without an elite quarterback.

“I definitely count my blessings every day to be able to play with somebody like a Brees or a Roethlisberger,” said Moore, who played against Roethlisberger when the two were in college. “Honestly, leaving New Orleans was kind of scary for me because I had that comfort in a quarterback that had broken so many records and obviously won a Super Bowl. To get somewhere like the Pittsburgh Steelers that has a quarterback that has won a couple of Super Bowls, it is definitely something that I am thankful for.”

[url]http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/6175/new-steelers-wr-adjusting-to-big-ben[/url]
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm excited to see what Moore does in our offense.

Backup

User Info Menu

Sounds like a good guy. Hopefully he can step in and improve the offense with Cotchery gone.

Legend

User Info Menu

Lance Moore says Ben Roethlisberger has a stronger arm than Drew Brees

By Neal Coolong on Apr 30 2014

In what was probably flattery more than anything else, the new Steelers receiver is getting in good with his teammates as they continue through Phase One of the offseason program.

New Steelers wide receiver Lance Moore is fitting right in with his new teammates.

Flattery always helps that goal.

Speaking to reporters Tuesday after the team's Phase One workout, Moore was asked the inevitable comparison question between his current and former quarterbacks, Ben Roethlisberger and Drew Brees.

"I would say that Ben has a little bit stronger of an arm, maybe a lot stronger arm," Moore said, as quoted by ESPN's Scott Brown. "Just from the last couple of days with him here, that's something that kind of jumps out at me. If you are kind of lazy with your eyes the ball will zoom right past you. That's something that I will have to adjust to. I feel like the quarterback should never really have to adjust to the receiver."

Arm strength isn't everything, and few, if any, can criticize the track record or physical skill of either Brees or Roethlisberger. We feel Brees probably has the edge in terms of arm strength, through. Either way, though, Moore is saying the right things, including bits to Brown on helping second-year receiver Markus Wheaton with his route-running and the blessing he received going from one high-level quarterback in New Orleans to another in Pittsburgh.

Moore will be counted on to provide that kind of veteran leadership and it appears he's taking that role seriously early in the first phase of the offseason program. It's a very young receiving group, and with the likely selection of another young receiver in Pittsburgh, Moore's role will become as important off the field as it is on it.

If nothing else, he's already showed the wisdom of when to say the right things.

[URL]http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2014/4/30/5667570/steelers-receivers-depth-chart-ben-roethlisberger-drew-brees-comments[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Lance Moore hears it from Saints fans after comparing Ben to Brees

After eight seasons catching passes from Drew Brees in New Orleans, wide receiver Lance Moore went to Pittsburgh this offseason, where he has begun work with Ben Roethlisberger. Moore was recently asked to compare the two quarterbacks, and Saints fans weren’t all happy with what he said.

“I would say that Ben has a little bit stronger of an arm, maybe a lot stronger arm,” Moore told ESPN. “Just from the last couple of days with him here, that’s something that kind of jumps out at me. If you are kind of lazy with your eyes the ball will zoom right past you. That’s something that I will have to adjust to. I feel like the quarterback should never really have to adjust to the receiver.”

Saints fans who saw those comments went after Moore on Twitter, prompting Moore to respond.

“Everybody down south is mad now? Never said I disliked Drew or am not thankful for my time w him. Wouldn’t be where I am w/o him. Chill out,” Moore told Saints fans on Twitter.

Although Moore’s comment about Roethlisberger having a stronger arm than Brees got most of the attention, Moore had high praise for both quarterbacks.

“I definitely count my blessings every day to be able to play with somebody like a Brees or a Roethlisberger,” Moore said. “Honestly, leaving New Orleans was kind of scary for me because I had that comfort in a quarterback that had broken so many records and obviously won a Super Bowl. To get somewhere like the Pittsburgh Steelers that has a quarterback that has won a couple of Super Bowls, it is definitely something that I am thankful for.”

Those are comments that fans in both Pittsburgh and New Orleans should appreciate.

[url]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/30/lance-moore-hears-it-from-saints-fans-after-comparing-ben-to-brees/[/url]
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Legend

User Info Menu

Nen has that zip because he is a cold weather QB...