Thread: Your dream draft...

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    EJ is a zone guy built for Lebeau's scheme. He would be a dime zone guy and I think he fully capable of holding that position down...especially if it meant we got nasty in the front 7. The Giants beat the Pats up in the SB the year they went undefeated because they had a pass rush. Unless you can build a secondary as dominating as the Seahawks a secondary wont win you games nearly as often as your front 7...and that's what this Steeler team lacks.
    I am starting to worry about our scheme, being the problem. In order for you to get pressure on the QB in DL's 3-4 system, it requires your OLBs to beat OTs. Is that realistic? How difficult is it to find 3-4 OLBs who can consistently beat OTs one on one? It seems rather difficult. We had that working with Woodley and Harrison in their prime, but I find it increasingly difficult to find guys who can pull that off. You mentioned the Giants as a team who beat the undefeated Pats by applying pressure. They did that with a superior 4-3 DL. I think a quality DL in a 4-3 is more likely to offer a sustained rush than are OLBs in a 3-4. It seems more attainable to me.

Edit: I am not saying I am giving up on J. Jones just yet, but here we used a mid-level first rounder on a 3-4 OLB and he got all of one sack. Just saying, I don't know if a 3-4 is a viable way to consistently reach the QB any more.
    Last edited by sick beats; 04-29-2014 at 06:59 PM.