Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 45

Thread: Your dream draft...

  1. #11
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,556
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    EJ is a zone guy built for Lebeau's scheme. He would be a dime zone guy and I think he fully capable of holding that position down...especially if it meant we got nasty in the front 7. The Giants beat the Pats up in the SB the year they went undefeated because they had a pass rush. Unless you can build a secondary as dominating as the Seahawks a secondary wont win you games nearly as often as your front 7...and that's what this Steeler team lacks.
    I am starting to worry about our scheme, being the problem. In order for you to get pressure on the QB in DL's 3-4 system, it requires your OLBs to beat OTs. Is that realistic? How difficult is it to find 3-4 OLBs who can consistently beat OTs one on one? It seems rather difficult. We had that working with Woodley and Harrison in their prime, but I find it increasingly difficult to find guys who can pull that off. You mentioned the Giants as a team who beat the undefeated Pats by applying pressure. They did that with a superior 4-3 DL. I think a quality DL in a 4-3 is more likely to offer a sustained rush than are OLBs in a 3-4. It seems more attainable to me.

    Edit: I am not saying I am giving up on J. Jones just yet, but here we used a mid-level first rounder on a 3-4 OLB and he got all of one sack. Just saying, I don't know if a 3-4 is a viable way to consistently reach the QB any more.
    Last edited by sick beats; 04-29-2014 at 06:59 PM.

  2. #12
    I actually agree with you. The benefit of the 3-4 is the ability to disguise blitzing schemes...but it's weakness is that you have at best a 250 bound LB trying to best a 300+ pound tackle. While you can get serious pressure at times, you have to usually use 6 guys to get it done...unless you have a Harrison...or a Woodley in his prime. Maybe we have that in Worilds...maybe not. But, don't see JJ ever becoming that power infiltrator in this scheme...but who knows with a serious off season weight program. Therefore a 4-3 has 4 big guys, more bulk along that line...big quick guys like Heyward. Are they easier to find? Maybe. But, the Giants succeeded where others failed because they got pressure with 4 and not 6. Guys like Manning will eat up a 6 man blitz all day.

  3. #13
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,556
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I actually agree with you. The benefit of the 3-4 is the ability to disguise blitzing schemes...but it's weakness is that you have at best a 250 bound LB trying to best a 300+ pound tackle. While you can get serious pressure at times, you have to usually use 6 guys to get it done...unless you have a Harrison...or a Woodley in his prime. Maybe we have that in Worilds...maybe not. But, don't see JJ ever becoming that power infiltrator in this scheme...but who knows with a serious off season weight program. Therefore a 4-3 has 4 big guys, more bulk along that line...big quick guys like Heyward. Are they easier to find? Maybe. But, the Giants succeeded where others failed because they got pressure with 4 and not 6. Guys like Manning will eat up a 6 man blitz all day.
    Most of the great Ds in modern history do it with a DL that gets pressure from the front 4. The best Bears, Eagles and Ravens D all did it with just sending the front 4. The SB Giants as well. I think Seattle got pressure with just the DL as well.

  4. #14
    Anthony Barr
    Stephen Tuitt
    Donta Moncrief

  5. #15
    1)-Kyle Fuller-CB-Va Tech- Best corner in this draft
    2)-Chris Borland-ILB-Wisconsin-plug him inside for the next 10 years and forget it
    3)-Jarred Abrederris-WR-Wisconsin-Hines Ward part deux
    4)-Daniel McCullers-DT-Tennesee-poor mans Hampton
    5a)-Brent Urban-DE-Virginia-Raw player much in the mold of a young Kiesel
    5b)-Brandon Thomas-OL-Clemson-second round value
    6a)-Aaron Colvin-CB-Oklahoma-second round value
    6b)-Prince Shembo-OLB-Notre Dame- special teamer and depth
    7)-Colt Lyerla-TE-Oregon-1 year ago I started a thread saying he should be our 1st round pick
    Last edited by steelerkeylargo; 04-29-2014 at 11:05 PM.
    2015 Draft

    1) P.J. Williams-CB-Florida St.
    2) Eric Striker-OLB-Oklahoma
    3) Jeff Heuerman-TE-Ohio St
    4) Taylor Kelly-QB-Arizona St.
    5) Jonathan Mincy-CB-Auburn
    6) Julian Wilson-CB-Oklahoma
    7) Spencer Roth-P-Baylor













  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo View Post
    1)-Kyle Fuller-CB-Va Tech- Best corner in this draft
    2)-Chris Borland-ILB-Wisconsin-plug him inside for the next 10 years and forget it
    3)-Jarred Abrederris-Hines Ward part deux
    4)-Daniel McCullers-DT-Tennesee-poor mans Hampton
    5a)-Brent Urban-DE-Virginia-Raw player much in the mold of a young Kiesel
    5b)-Brandon Thomas-OL-Clemson-second round value
    6a)-Aaron Colvin-CB-Oklahoma-second round value
    6b)-Prince Shembo-OLB-Notre Dame- special teamer and depth
    7)-Colt Lyerla-TE-Oregon-1 year ago I started a thread saying he should be our 1st round pick
    This is one of the best mocks I have seen. I like most the picks...with the exception of knowing little about Urban, Thomas and Colvin. I agree about Lyerla...best TE in this draft hands down...compares to Gronk in both good and bad ways. Borland is a lunch pail Big Ten guy, love Abberderis (but would prefer Jarvis Landry), I've warmed on McCullers...and Shembo is a solid pick that late.

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    Anthony Barr
    Stephen Tuitt
    Donta Moncrief
    This would be solid from a talent standpoint. Just would hate to use another first on an OLB.

  8. #18
    Legend hawaiiansteel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hawaii 5-0
    Posts
    15,146
    Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    I see EJ mock going in the 4th, but who knows. Seems like a pure zone guy, as it looks like most think he will be toast going on man with NFL level WRs. Says he is smallish and loses fight for the ball too often. We already have guys who can do that, or we did, in C. Brown. Sounds just like him. That guy gets toast every time the opposing team goes deep. Like taking candy away from a baby.
    EJ Gaines held Mike Evans to 4 catches for only 8 yards in their head to head matchup...

  9. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    EJ Gaines held Mike Evans to 4 catches for only 8 yards in their head to head matchup...
    Bingo, I think Gaines is a 4th round gem if he goes where CBS says he goes.

  10. #20
    Pro Bowler D Rock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    2,321
    1. Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State
    2. Allen Robinson, WR, Penn State


    I haven't looked into deeper rounds enough yet, but I definitely want those two.

    Other guys I am a little bit familiar with and would take in the third if available (especially if the top two weren't selected):

    Stanley Jean-Baptiste, CB, Nebraska
    Terrence Brooks, S, Florida State
    Jarvis Landry, WR, LSU

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •