Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Draftnicks.....be honest

Draftnicks.....be honest

A question for all you draft "experts".

How many of you were absolutely elated when we drafted Mendenhall and Sweed 1 and 2?
    I was stoked big time.

Here is a reminder:

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...t-history-2008

Have you EVER been more excited top to bottom with a draft by this current staff?

Not a one a current NFL starter. Sweed an absolute bust.
    Ironically only our last pick, career backup Mundy is the only player in that entire draft under contract with an NFL team.

Again, how did you feel after that draft? HONESTLY.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 04-29-2014 at 02:29 PM.

I'll admit, I was pretty excited in 2012. I loved the DD pick, and I thought that Ta'amu would be the answer at NT. I didn't love the picks of Adams or Spence, but I liked Rainey and Toney Clemons as later round picks.

I did not want Mendenhall at all. I was fine with the Sweed pick. Shame he didn't work out. Still, never did like Mendenhall.
    LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!
    Here We Go Steelers!

Draft 2.0

1. Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M
    2. Jason Verrett, CB, TCU
    3. Kareem Martin, DE, UNC
    4. Donte Moncrief, WR, Mississippi
    5a. Shaquille Richardson, CB, Arizona
    5b. Seantrel Henderson, OT, Miami
    6a. Kevin Pierre-Louis, OLB, Boston College
    6b. Glen Stanley, OLB, Albany St
    7. Beau Allen, NT, Wisconsin

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    A question for all you draft "experts".

How many of you were absolutely elated when we drafted Mendenhall and Sweed 1 and 2?
    I was stoked big time.

Here is a reminder:

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...t-history-2008

Have you EVER been more excited top to bottom with a draft by this current staff?

Not a one a current NFL starter. Sweed an absolute bust.
    Ironically only our last pick, career backup Mundy is the only player in that entire draft under contract with an NFL team.

Again, how did you feel after that draft? HONESTLY.
    I was happy with that draft (at least the top). Mendenhall had some good years and some big games, but ultimately fell short of expectations. Running Backs are a crapshoot and injuries played a part in his struggles and missed time. Sweed had the talent. He could have be a star. But, by all accounts he lost his marbles. It happens.

If your point is that all of this draft talk is pointless, then you might as well give up now. Go away and let folks have fun. No one here thinks they know it all. We enjoy the Steelers and the draft. We enjoy college football and the discussions about players. Actually, it informs and deepens my understanding and enjoyment of every NFL game as I see these players again on NFL teams and remember their college careers, scouting reports and, and the experts' projections. It is fun to see the art and science of the draft come together and to watch NFL teams try to beat the system and other teams attempt to assemble their championship team. Sure, there is a great deal of luck or good fortune involved in being successful. But, that is also true of many NFL games and seasons. That is part of what makes the draft fun and an interesting mystery worth discussing and analyzing.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    I was quite excited with the Mendenhall and Sweed picks...couldn't believe that either of them fell into our laps...never expected that to happen. I did not like the Bruce Davis pick...I was a Cliff Avril guy that year (and I think we brought Avril in for a pre-draft visit that year but did not bring in Davis, which made the Davis pick all the more puzzling when Avril was still available for us in round 3). I was indifferent about the Hills pick, but thought that it could be a decent value pick if he was able to recover from his injuries. I thought Dixon was intriguing where we got him because he was a Heisman candidate before his injury struck. Was indifferent about the last two picks at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    I'll admit, I was pretty excited in 2012. I loved the DD pick, and I thought that Ta'amu would be the answer at NT. I didn't love the picks of Adams or Spence, but I liked Rainey and Toney Clemons as later round picks.
    LOVED the DeCastro pick (as I'm sure many of you remember). Also really liked the Ta'Amu pick as well. Not a fan of the Adams pick at all (but nothing was getting me down from my DeCastro high, so I put up with it). I wasn't on the Spence or Rainey bandwagons pre-draft, but saw enough attributes that were sufficiently intriguing to make me like those picks at the time.

Mendenhall pick I was good with that. He had clocked I believe a 4.45 and seemed durable enough,shifty enough and at 218 or so big enough. Desire to be special I guess is something one can't always figure out. He had some good performances but what's going on between a prospects ears you just never know for sure.

Legend
    I was most excited about Sweed. And I still think he was a good football player even though he didn't pan out likely do to some other non football issues. In general I liked the draft at the time. But now it makes me nervous any time the experts say a guy fell to us that's a can't miss.

Made me worried about Pouncey, DD, and JJ for example.

I was disappointed with the draft b/c we needed OL in the worst way and we didn't get it done.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I was most excited about Sweed. And I still think he was a good football player even though he didn't pan out likely do to some other non football issues. In general I liked the draft at the time. But now it makes me nervous any time the experts say a guy fell to us that's a can't miss.

Made me worried about Pouncey, DD, and JJ for example.
    I'll be happy if flippy gets nervous because Mike Evans falls to us in a week-and-a-half.