Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kiper on CB Dennard: 'He's a Steeler'

Kiper on CB Dennard: 'He's a Steeler'

PITTSBURGH -- Mel Kiper Jr. has the Steelers taking LSU wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. with their first pick in his latest mock draft.

But a different player stands out to the ESPN analyst as the best fit for the Steelers at No. 15 overall.

“I think the ideal pick if you’re the Steelers is Darqueze Dennard,” Kiper said of the Michigan State cornerback during a conference call on Wednesday. “He’s a Steeler. Rough, tough, aggressive football player, plays with a chip on his shoulder, very good in coverage, plays faster than he timed. Just a whale of a football player.

So why doesn’t Kiper have the Steelers taking Dennard in his most recent mock draft? Easy. He has the Rams taking Dennard, the winner of the Jim Thorpe Award in 2013, two picks ahead of the Steelers.

Oklahoma State’s Justin Gilbert and Dennard are Kiper’s top-rated cornerbacks in the draft and his 14th- and 15th-best players overall, respectively. Gilbert has tremendous speed and has added value as a kickoff returner.

One concern Kiper has with Gilbert is whether he is a physical enough player to provide solid run support as well as get opposing receivers on the ground. Both are critical for cornerbacks in the Steelers’ defense.

“You’ve got to be able to tackle after the catch,” Kiper said. “That’s an underrated part of playing corner.”

That is also why he said Dennard would be the best pick for the Steelers if the 5-foot-11, 199-pounder is available at No. 15 and they want to address one of their most pressing needs.

“You look at that Steelers mentality, a Steelers kind of player, and I think it would be Darqueze Dennard from Michigan State,” Kiper said. “Pure football players [in the draft], he’d be on your top-10 list.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/po...-hes-a-steeler

I agree Dennard makes the most sense. He is a physical guy who can bump, tackle and cover. I see very little wrong with his game.

I think we go Dennard or Fuller at #15...

Dennard is a very logical fit.

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    I would love either guy.....

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    I wouldn't be disappointed with either. I wasn't as high on Dennard as I was Gilbert early on, but I watched some more of both and Dennard would definitely be a better fit. Fuller has always been my favorite, and had him in my sig mock for the 2nd round but took him out as he will probably go in the first.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

I really want Darqueze Dennard....but he's dropping apparently in stock. My back up (IF Dennard goes two picks ahead of the Steelers) would be Kyle Fuller.
    Rara's very early 2015 NFL Mock Draft
    Round 1- Jalen Collins, CB; LSU
    Round 2- Eric Lefeld, OT; Cincinatti
    Round 3- Tyler Kroft, TE; Rutgers
    Round 4- Geneo Grissom, OLB; Oklahoma
    Round 5- Jonathon Mincy, CB; Auburn
    Round 6- Jamil Douglas, OG; Arizona State
    Round 7- Spencer Roth, P; Baylor

Pro Bowler
    Watch the pick be Roby lol

Hall of Famer
    If he is on the board at #15...I have a hard time believing he wouldn't be the pick unless another name like Evans or Gilbert were there.

I was kind of lukewarm on Dennard, but I've kind of warmed up to him. He can play physical and create some turnovers. He seems to be a relatively safe pick as well.