Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: QB's falling in the draft...does it help or hurt us?

Legend

User Info Menu

QB's falling in the draft...does it help or hurt us?

When it all started it looked like 3 QB's would be in the top 10....then it was 2.

Now some are predicting NONE will go before we pick at 15.

Is the draft deep enough that we get "our" guy or is trading back finally an option this year?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I think it could help in two ways. One team might be looking to trade up for a QB or secondly, a team may want to trade up to get a non-QB positional player they covet if all the top guys are going in the first 14.

I think some teams behind us in the draft order would expect, just like us, that there will be a QB or two taken in the top 10, letting another position guy be available.

Could be Carolina if there's a run on WRs.
    Last edited by thor75; 04-23-2014 at 11:13 AM.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

Legend

User Info Menu

I don't buy the idea that QBs won't be drafted early. I think that once one team grabs the first guy, the others will have to drop. There are too many teams with QB needs, and they have been meeting with all four of the top guys, and some team has fallen in love with someone - and that is all it takes.

Look at the QB needy teams...

Houston (Fitzpatrick, Keenum, Yates)
    St. Louis (Bradford) picks 2 and 13
    Jax (Henne)
    Cleveland (Hoyer)
    Oakland (Schaub for one year guaranteed plus essentially a no obligation option for year two)
    T Bay (Glennon)
    Vikes (32 y.o. Matt Cassel)
    Titans (Locker)
    Arizona (Palmer)

If any of these teams fell in love with one guy, and they are very different types of QBs, can you risk waiting until the next time you pick? One of these teams decides that they have to take their QB, and the pool gets smaller. If, for example, Jacksonville goes for the local kid Bortles, what does Cleveland do next? even if they have their eyes on Carr - the least outsider in the top 4 - they know that St. Louis has a second first rounder, Vikes are needy, Oakland is always a wild card, TB and Tennessee are iffy, and the Cards are almost a lock to go QB.

Once the dominoes fall, you could end up with the next tier going from being "third round prospects" to top of the second picks. Teams respond to rushes at certain positions, and QB could be this year's gold rush position. I think that is far more likely than none being picked in the top 15.

Backup

User Info Menu

We're not drafting a QB in round 1. The more that go before 1.15, the more guys fall to us. I'm hoping on draft day 4 go before we pick.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'd like to see 14 QB's taken before we pick. However, I think 3-4 will be picked in the top 14. We'll get someone awesome at 15, no doubt.
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mick'sTeam View Post
    We're not drafting a QB in round 1. The more that go before 1.15, the more guys fall to us. I'm hoping on draft day 4 go before we pick.
    but most "experts" are saying these guys will fall. What if teams wait until the 2nd because of all the other premium picks?

Legend

User Info Menu

Everytime a team picks a QB in the top 14, I will cheer loudly, because that means it is more likely that a guy we covet falls to us at #15. I'm hoping 4 get taken ahead of us, but it's looking more and more like 1 or maybe 2 (hopefully not none) get taken before we pick. If no QB's go in the top 14, though, then I'll have to settle for hoping that something like 8 QB's go between 16 and 45, giving us a better pick at #46.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

One way or another the Steelers are going to have a player fall to them I believe, if no quarterbacks go in the top 14, they won't get as good a first round pick, but my guess is that by the time the Steelers pick in the second 4 possibly 5 quarterbacks are drafted dropping 4 or 5 good players to 2.46.

The Steelers will get a plyer they didn't expect either in the first or second round, IMO.

Pappy
    Last edited by papillon; 04-23-2014 at 02:25 PM.

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    but most "experts" are saying these guys will fall. What if teams wait until the 2nd because of all the other premium picks?
    then that might help a good player to fall to us in the 2nd round...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    then that might help a good player to fall to us in the 2nd round...
    See above..

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount