Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Will CJ Mosely be BPA at 1.15?

Administrator

User Info Menu

Will CJ Mosely be BPA at 1.15?

Is it difficult to imagine Alabama's star ILB, CJ Mosley being BPA at a "position of need" when the Steelers pick at 1.15?

I wouldn't be upset with the pick because I think Mosley is a very good player. I hope Mosley isn't the pick for 1 reason and 1 reason only.... They know Williams/Garvin are not starting material and they feel Spence will never make a full recovery or be able to live up to the expectations that the team had when they drafted him (i.e. future starter). I'll admit that I'm in the Spence fan club so I'd love to see him come back and have a great career in the black & gold.

With that being said... The Steelers very rarely reach in the first round. They're strategy is BPA at a position of need. Do the Steelers feel that ILB is such a need that they are willing to use a 1st round pick on such a player? That is the million dollar question (quite literally). If so, Mosley could quite possibly be the pick.

CB - Dennard and Gilbert could both be gone
    WR - Watkins and Evans are likely gone
    LT - Unless Matthews drops, T isn't going to be the pick
    DE/DT - There is a need but I don't think there is a 3-4 DE or NT that will be considered BPA

That leaves me will TE and ILB and two names come to mind. Ebron and Mosley.

Ebron would make sense because Miller isn't getting any younger and Ebron is a receiving threat that could fill the "big target" role. He's basically a WR for the most part.

With that being said, Mosley would probably be BPA in the Steelers mind.... but do they see ILB as a position of need?

If so, Mosley could very well be the pick at 1.15.

Legend

User Info Menu

it depends on Spence's progress. If they feel he's on the road to total recovery, they'd let him and Vince Williams battle it out. If they still have their reservations, it'd be tough to pass on Mosely, who seems to be a young Timmons with athletic ability to fly around... I'd be happy with him as the selection.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Early April Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama
    2.51 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.84 -Sedrick Van Pran-Granger, C, Georgia
    3.98 -<tbd>
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

There is no way.

I think hes a mid 20s prospect. I personally have him at 24, only 1 QB in that top 24 and id be shocked if the other 22 players were gone before 15

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    There is no way.

I think hes a mid 20s prospect. I personally have him at 24, only 1 QB in that top 24 and id be shocked if the other 22 players were gone before 15
    when the college season ended, they said, "no way he'll be there for us to take"... i think it's amazing that guys drop 15 slots having not played a game.

3.98 -<tbd>

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm not on the Mosley bandwagon. Recent top-notch ILB prospects from Alabama have either been outright busts (Rolando McClain) or nothing particularly special (Dont'a Hightower). If you are going to take an ILB at #15 of a stacked draft, he better damn well be a Patrick Willis or Luke Kuechly level difference maker, and I'm not convinced that Mosley is at that level. Solid ILB prospects like Bobby Wagner or James Laurinaitis or Paul Posluszny are typically available on day two of the draft.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    when the college season ended, they said, "no way he'll be there for us to take"... i think it's amazing that guys drop 15 slots having not played a game.
    I never really saw him as a guy they wouldnt be able to draft. Hes got decent sideline to sideline ranger and terrific instincts, its just not the position teams take in the first round very often. If he ends up being like Luke Kuechly ill eat those words, but Kuechly has ESP for a linebacker reading a play, to me mosely looks an awful lot like Keith Rivers.

I think Shazier is a better MLB and a future impact player, my problem is we have a first round and top 10 (id argue top 5 MLB) in timmons...every year theres a sean lee, navorro bowman, daryl washington, bobby wagner ect ect that is taken later on in the draft, roudns 2-3 seem like money for MLBs and risky for OLB conversion guys

Legend

User Info Menu

I agree Mosley or Barr are likely to be BPA when the Steelers pick...IMO that's even if Dennard and Gilbert are still on the board.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    If you are going to take an ILB at #15 of a stacked draft, he better damn well be a Patrick Willis or Luke Kuechly level difference maker, and I'm not convinced that Mosley is at that level.
    i argued that we shoulda traded up and got Willis that year - i still think that woulda been a good move.

3.98 -<tbd>

Legend

User Info Menu

Dave-Te Thomas from Scout.com will be on in less than an hour, click on this click to listen for free:

[URL]http://pit.scout.com/2/1395781.html[/URL]

Join NFL Scout Tonight for Draft Chat

By Bill Huber
    Posted Apr 21, 2014

The NFL's longtime head scout, Dave-Te' Thomas, will field your questions tonight about May's draft. The chat, which will start at 7 p.m. Central, will be hosted by Packer Report's Bill Huber but will be open to fans of all teams and general draft conversation.

Longtime NFL scout Dave-Te’ Thomas will answer your questions about next month’s NFL Draft during a Monday night chat. The chat will begin at 7 p.m. and will last about an hour; he has a call with a team holding a top-five pick at 8 p.m.

Thomas has more than 40 years of experience scouting for the NFL. With the NFL Draft Report, Thomas handles a staff that evaluates and tests college players before the draft and prepares the NFL's official Draft Packet, which is distributed to all 32 teams prior to the draft.

[URL]http://pit.scout.com/2/1395781.html[/URL]
    Last edited by hawaiiansteel; 04-21-2014 at 07:14 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think that a lot of who is available will depend on which QBs are snagged in front of us. QB seems to be the wild card position that the Steelers have no interest in the first round. If one team surprises the rest and goes QB, then others might leap in believing that they can't wait like they thought they could.

I'd say that Minny is the one automatic QB pick. But before them at 8, only Atlanta would be a "for sure not" QB pick. Houston is doubtful, but suddenly St. Louis is being linked to a QB pick, and they choose twice before the Steelers. The likelihood of each team making the move increases every time another one comes off the board, and the dominoes could start to fall early. If St. Louis falls in love and decides to use #2 on a QB (as they are now being linked to) then everyone has to react. Jacksonville is already a good chance for QB, and one being picked already could force their hand. Cleveland now might realize that they can't wait until their second 1st round pick. Oakland needs one and they will lose out on the big four if they wait. TB, Minny, Tennessee - all QB needy teams. If all four go before 15, then someone has to fall.