Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Will CJ Mosely be BPA at 1.15?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    when the college season ended, they said, "no way he'll be there for us to take"... i think it's amazing that guys drop 15 slots having not played a game.
    Only on message boards and mock draftniks, Kiper, CBS, etc.

Pappy

Trade 20 & 119 to Tampa for 26/57

1.26 - Graham Barton, OC/G, Duke
    2.51 - Xavier Leggette, WR, South Carolina
    2.57 - Braden Fiske, DT, FSU
    3.84 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    3.98 - T'Vondre Sweat, DT, Texas
    7.178 - Joe Milton III, QB, Tennessee
    7.195 - Omar Speights, LB, LSU

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I've banged the anti-Bama drum for a while, but the more I study the guy, the more I'd be pretty happy to have him in the fold. Mosley is another Timmons IMO. Maybe better.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think Shazier may be a more dynamic choice at LB than Mosley. Shazier fits more the "run and hit" type Tomlin likes.

Like Ruthless, I'm not a fan of Alabama defensive players
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I think Shazier may be a more dynamic choice at LB than Mosley. Shazier fits more the "run and hit" type Tomlin likes.

Shazier has the highest ceiling, little doubt about that. He is a freak of nature. His cat like quickness and straight line speed is hard to ignore. But, he isn't nearly as polished as Mosley. Mosley is a plug and play guy...as soon as he learns the system he is ready. Shazier will need to hit the weight room, and work on technique that he never developed because he could compensate with his speed. I think Mosley is very athletic and fits Tomlin's mold quite well...Shazier maybe even more so.
    Trolls are people too.

Administrator

User Info Menu

At first, I hated the idea of Mosley. I still wouldn't be thrilled about the selection because of needs in other areas. However, I want the Steelers to get the best possible player they can even if its not their greatest need. The more I see and read about Mosley, the more I think he could be the best player at a position of need. That's assuming Spence isn't an option and Dennard and Gilbert are off the board.

Mosley is a leader. He's a good communicator and that is something I believe this defense is lacking. Mosley is not like Timmons IMO. Timmons was drafted to be an OLB and was moved to ILB and that transition took awhile. 3-4 ILB is not easy by any means and Timmons struggled on the inside especially in the run game. Mosley reminds me of Farrior. A guy that was born to play inside in a 3-4 defense. He's got the instincts, he's got good vision to track the ball, he can cover, he can fight off blocks. He is a bit lean and his durability is a bit of a concern but he is about as sure of a thing as DeCastro was at OG.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post

I have not been a fan of Texas defenders, but Kenny Vaccarro (who I didn't want to draft last year for this reason) seemed to have a promising year for the Saints. Every player is different. Recent Ohio State picks (front 7) have not really set the NFL on fire either. Which is disappointing because I'm from NE Ohio.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    i argued that we shoulda traded up and got Willis that year - i still think that woulda been a good move.
    Timmons wasnt as good initially, he was undersized and really struggled against the run but since the gap has lessened significantly. Timmons is a top 5 MLB, willis is top 2

Sucks that woodley didnt pan out after his rookie deal, but timmons and woodley was a hell of a haul in 07

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think Mosley would make a quick impact on the defense. My big problem with choosing him is that gives us 3 1st rounders in the linebacker spot. We are already paying Timmons a boatload of money. Our non-first rounder, Worilds, is looking for a big payday. Then we have Jones immediately followed by Mosley when their rookie contracts are up. That would be a lot of big dollar contracts for one level of the defense.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    I think Mosley would make a quick impact on the defense. My big problem with choosing him is that gives us 3 1st rounders in the linebacker spot. We are already paying Timmons a boatload of money. Our non-first rounder, Worilds, is looking for a big payday. Then we have Jones immediately followed by Mosley when their rookie contracts are up. That would be a lot of big dollar contracts for one level of the defense.

Given the defense we run and the contract situation with Worilds and the jury out on Jones, we need another OLB before we need an ILB. Barr would be a better choice than Mosley or Trent Murphy in Round 2/3.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    I'm not on the Mosley bandwagon. Recent top-notch ILB prospects from Alabama have either been outright busts (Rolando McClain) or nothing particularly special (Dont'a Hightower). If you are going to take an ILB at #15 of a stacked draft, he better damn well be a Patrick Willis or Luke Kuechly level difference maker, and I'm not convinced that Mosley is at that level. Solid ILB prospects like Bobby Wagner or James Laurinaitis or Paul Posluszny are typically available on day two of the draft.
    I understand your thought here, however, Mosely is far more versatile than Hightower or McClain. Those two were primarily 2 down, down hill, run stuffers. Mosely is a much better athlete and can be moved all around. Has played some off the edge in a 3-4. And of the three he is the best in coverage. He's not great at it but he can hold his own. And with Mosely inside, he can cover a lot a lot more sideline to sideline than that of Hightower and McClain.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash