Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nick Williams: 'I am very anxious'

Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post

I'd say 7th rounders don't do much of anything in the majority of cases.

Which you would probably expect from players who aren't taken until the 7th round.

But every few years, you might get one who can contribute. Hopefully, Nick Williams is that guy.

If he isn't, the Steelers will probably figure that out soon enough.

Wow, I didn't realize Williams injury was that serious. I thought they put him on IR to hide him and so he wouldn't take up a spot on the practice squad.
    <a href=http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2011/02/roger-goodell.jpg target=_blank>http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2...er-goodell.jpg</a>

Pro Bowler
    can you "bust" as a 7th rounder? its a speculative pickup.

Williams is a dark horse, hopefully hes at least better than hood (setting the bar real low)

Obviously, nobody is or should be counting on anything from a 7th round pick who hasn't played. When Williams was drafted, the Steelers acknowledged that he was very raw and would likely need a year on the PS.

He is still raw, though now he should have a better handle on the mental side of things. He had good physical tools and plenty of upside, even if his chance of reaching that upside is limited.

Backup
    Pretty much can't count on him this year.

With only Heyward and Mclendon having any real playing time, this is a thin position. Especially with who is behind these guys-Fangupo, Thomas and Arnfelt. $h!t. Even if we bring back Keisel. $h!t.

Makes getting a guy who can contribute immediately all the more important.

The only players who have a shot at contributing this year are the guys who have at least a year in the system...Mitchell won't go for anything else...

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    The only players who have a shot at contributing this year are the guys who have at least a year in the system...Mitchell won't go for anything else...
    If there isn't really any talent in the system I think a rookie has a chance at playing...look at Jarvis

Quote Originally Posted by focosteeler View Post
    If there isn't really any talent in the system I think a rookie has a chance at playing...look at Jarvis
    Different position coach...Cam Heyward is very talented and couldn't get a starting job until his third season..

Banned
    I think you doubting on Williams may be missing the boat. Remember, the Steelers could have easily just cut him, and let him go. But no. They chose to keep him, protect him. and rehab him. Why ?...cause there is something there. Most 7th rounders are selected by their teams vecause they wanna secure his rights for at least 4 years. Most 7th rounders could easily go undrafted, but undrafted players a team cannot guarantee they will sign with them. That is why the 7th rounders are used on them.

From a Physical stand point, Nicholas Williams may be MORE of a " Freak " then Clowney is this year. I mean Williams was 6ft, 4 1/2, 309 Lbs...and ran a 4.84 forty, and a 1.66 10 Yd split. And that was at almost 50 Lbs heavier then Clowney. Williams and his Damn near 310 Lbs had a vertical of 35 inches. I mean people, there are some Physical tools there to be excited about. I mean at 309 Lbs, he runs a 4.84 ??? Imagine if during his first year here, he was redirecting his body weight, and say drop to 295 Lbs, while working on his " Fast Twitch " flexer Muscles with our Professional Trainers ?? I mean Williams could easily be running in the 4.60 range now at 295 Lbs.

I don't know about you guys, but that is pretty scarey to me.

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Different position coach...Cam Heyward is very talented and couldn't get a starting job until his third season..
    He also had Aaron Smith, Brett Keisel and Ziggy Hood in front of him. There are no entrenched starters at the other DE postion this year. If they can get a guy like Tuitt in the 2nd who played 3-4 DE in college he might not have to learn a new position like Cam did. Just a new system