Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: This is why so much that you read is BS

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    You don't really see Blount creating holes...or making himself small to get through cracks in the OL. He isn't known as a pass catcher. Where he thrives is when you give him a hole and he can hit the linebackers and secondary with a head of steam...when an OL give him that...he is capable of putting together some ohhh and ahhh type runs. They are very different backs IMO. Bell is a big man who has very good vision and can run like a small guy when he needs to...and that last year helped him out. I will agree though that the OL did play much better towards the end of the season.
    Dwyer averaged 4 yards per carry last year with his limited carries. I think Blount would have been fine with our O-line.. I agree that Blount isn't a known pass catcher....and they are very different RB's.. that's part of why I really like this signing.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    Dwyer averaged 4 yards per carry last year with his limited carries. I think Blount would have been fine with our O-line.. I agree that Blount isn't a known pass catcher....and they are very different RB's.. that's part of why I really like this signing.
    49 touches... I would be very upset if Blount had 50 touches this year.

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    49 touches... I would be very upset if Blount had 50 touches this year.
    No doubt. I'd like to see him have 12-15 a game...

Hall of Famer
    Blount would have had more success running the football behind last years OL than Bell but Bell brought more to the table as an overall back. Blounts a one cut downhill guy with very good vision. He could find the crease or create one no matter how small & break arm tackles. Bell showed good vision & patience his rookie year but Blount is a better garbage back at this point. It is a pretty good combination in the backfield. Bell showed the traits of an all around feature. He should get better. Blount with be the situational guy & capable starter.

The thing I like about Blount is now you have a closer. When the Steelers line up at the end of the game & the defense knows they are going to run....You really have a 2nd option to go to. Blount would be a very good option to close out the game. You really don't give anything up by turning to him in that situation because we see "22" & if they play action out of it....W Johnson is your hands out of the backfield. If the game is in hand...You don't put miles on Bell. If the game is close & the Steelers are just trying to eat some clock & move the chains a couple times...You have the chance to rest Bell an extra series or two. That doesn't sound like a big deal...But at the end of the day...A fresh RB against a worn down defense can give you those chunk plays that seal the win. Blount showed that with the Pats.

Hall of Famer
    Put it this way...16 games out of Bell & Blount at 100+ carries means the machine is working. That's a pretty good rotation to utilize & putting those carries on Blount will make Bell more productive.

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Blount's a Bam Morris type (minus Bam's affinity for "blounts" hopefully ). Straight-forward, no-nonsense, plow right over you...a solid complimentary piece to your RB arsenal.

Bell has the potential to be a Steven Jackson type. A versatile, can-do-a-little bit-of-everything-well back who was dominant in his prime either on the ground or through the air.

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Blount's a Bam Morris type (minus Bam's affinity for "blounts" hopefully ). Straight-forward, no-nonsense, plow right over you...a solid complimentary piece to your RB arsenal.

Bell has the potential to be a Steven Jackson type. A versatile, can-do-a-little bit-of-everything-well back who was dominant in his prime either on the ground or through the air.
    I think Jackson brought a little more horse to the game, meaning a little more power than Bell. Too bad Jackson was wasted on all those bad teams. He was really quite a good back. I feel Bell is a little more versatile than SJ though.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    You don't really see Blount creating holes...or making himself small to get through cracks in the OL. He isn't known as a pass catcher. Where he thrives is when you give him a hole and he can hit the linebackers and secondary with a head of steam...when an OL give him that...he is capable of putting together some ohhh and ahhh type runs.
    I agree with your assessment of Blount...plus, I might add, I don't think he's all that as a blocker...hopefully, he will improve that part of his game--seems like he should be able to if he so desires.

Hall of Famer
    Just saw some vintage video on Earl Campbell..... that kind of RB will send chills down your spine!

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Just saw some vintage video on Earl Campbell..... that kind of RB will send chills down your spine!
    More like snap it in half.