Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers Continue to Check Out Late First Rounders

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers Continue to Check Out Late First Rounders

Steelers Continue to Check Out Late First Rounders

by steelbydesign

The Steelers were in full force at LSU’s pro day on Wednesday with Mike Tomlin, Todd Haley, and Kevin Colbert all in attendance.

Wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. made it known in a radio interview that he had dinner with that group on Tuesday night.

OBJ fits the Todd Haley mold of receivers to a tee.

A smaller receiver that works very well in space and makes his money with precise route running and then working after the catch.

I’m a big fan of him, but I think his lack of size makes him a bit of a reach at the 15th pick.

I’m not one that has to get a 6’5″ receiver, but it would be nice to get a red-zone threat at the 15th pick.

It’s possible the Steelers like Beckham enough to take him at their current spot in the first round, but history suggests they won’t.

Draft stock fluctuates so wildly that I don’t have any hard numbers to back this up, but I can tell you what I’ve observed about the Steelers’ draft strategy in the past…

To me it seems the Steelers typically go with the “safe” value pick in round 1, and then tend to get a little more creative afterwards. I can honestly say the only pick in recent memory that really surprised me in round 1 was Ziggy Hood.

Guys like Jarvis Jones, David DeCastro, Cameron Heyward, Maurkice Pouncey, Rashard Mendenhall, and Lawrence Timmons were all considered to fit the range or in a lot of cases great values at their draft slot.

Where the Steelers “reach” (and understand I’m just talking according to all the clueless talking heads, myself included) is usually after round 1. Last season Jarvis Jones was considered a steal, and Le’Veon Bell was considered a reach.

I bring all of this up because it seems like the Steelers are paying a lot of attention to guys that according to most people, are late first round picks.

Odell Beckham Jr, Allen Robinson, Kelvin Benjamin, Jason Verrett, Bradley Roby, Ryan Shazier, Louis Nix, and Stephon Tuitt are all guys that seem to fit that description in my opinion.

It’s always possible the Steelers like someone a lot more than the general public. However, I also think that if guys like Gilbert, Dennard, and Evans are off the board the Steelers will try hard to move down.

Colbert has talked about how deep this draft class is, and it’s been said that maybe not many teams want to move up… but I think that’s the plan going in.

Once names start flying off the board though I think you’ll see teams get antsy and deals will be on the table.

[URL]http://www.steelcityblitz.com/2014/04/10/steelers-continue-to-check-out-late-first-rounders/#comment-81874[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Good theory. I do think the Steelers are looking to move down. Good luck with that.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Good theory. I do think the Steelers are looking to move down. Good luck with that.
    Yeah, it seems like this will be a tough year to try to move back.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    Yeah, it seems like this will be a tough year to try to move back.
    Never doubt how desperate teams without franchise quarterbacks get if Manziel, Bridgewater, Carr, or Bortles start to fall and there's a team in front of them with a need at quarterback. I think one of two things is going to happen for the Steelers and they are both good things, either 3 or 4 of these quarterbacks get drafted before 1.15 thus dropping a player that the Steelers never believed to be available right into their laps or only one or two of them get drafted early and a team gets desparate and wants to move up a couple spots to get their guy at 1.15.

Either way the Steelers win and get great value and a great player or they get an extra pick or two in a deep draft. I think the Steelers win big in this draft.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Maybe they are looking to move up in the second round if one of those guys falls?
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Discipline of Steel View Post
    Maybe they are looking to move up in the second round if one of those guys falls?
    or maybe a trade down in the first round and a trade up in the second?

Legend

User Info Menu

There are only so many kids worthy of a top 15 pick. The Steelers have seen them all. Gotta look at someone.....
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Beckham is being considered a mid round pick by some.
    If they think he's worth the #15 pick then he just might be that guy. Especially if they're desperate to get BEN some weapons.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Maybe its because everyone seems to get a "top 20" or first round grade and theres only 20-32 players that can be taken there. Theres going to be an opportunity to get a first round guy in the second....nix/tuitt come to mind for me

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    Maybe its because everyone seems to get a "top 20" or first round grade and theres only 20-32 players that can be taken there. Theres going to be an opportunity to get a first round guy in the second....nix/tuitt come to mind for me

I would love to see Tuitt available for our Round 2 pick
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"