Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Pouncey Price to Go Way Up

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    Well how did he rate? You just gave us your opinion... The last I saw last year, Pouncey was rated 12th and Velasco was 13th amongst NFL centers... Clearly, isn't that the definition of middling?
    Pouncey was hurt in the first quarter of the first game, how could he be 12th?

Pouncey has a thin lower body, probably a better guard than center because it requires less anchoring and more lateral movement (which he is king at)

I think Velasco and Wallace played admirably, but the offense would have been better with pouncey in there and Decastro coming into his own by the first ravens game, and bell coming back 4 games into the season. That interior line should be dirty next season, I imagine they might franchise pouncey next season, because i think hes 3rd or 4th in line for an extension (Ben, Heyward) then you have guys that you might value more in the long term than Pouncey (Decastro, Cortez)

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    you can likley have an OL with 2 well paid players on it (as long as we dont overspend on defense again) so i doubt DD goes anywhere cause they sign pouncey.

the rest of the guys you listed? who cares.... they are average at best right now

yet pouncey is only a little better than average but people want to pay him 8+
    steelers = 3 ring circus with tomlin being the head clown

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    Pouncey was hurt in the first quarter of the first game, how could he be 12th?
    Because it was his ranking from his previous years body of work before he got hurt... obviously not last years because he had no ranking... shakes head...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    DeCastro's injury was also a freak injury...

while true, there's a much greater chance of being rolled up on then how pouncey got injured last year.

heck, i think pounce himself got rolled up on in the few games he's missed

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Because it was his ranking from his previous years body of work before he got hurt... obviously not last years because he had no ranking... shakes head...
    Oh right, first year with a new offensive play caller and zero threat of a running game, which completely negates bens best quality...his play action pass

If he was a top 12 center in 2012, he should be back up to being top 5-7 with an actual real threat of a run game behind him

Legend

User Info Menu

Hes been called overrated for so many years now I think hes rated just fine

Also, the offense didnt get better because he was gone...they had to scrap a lot of what they planned to do with the blocking scheme, but the line most certainly wasnt better minus pouncey
    This suggests to me that there was a significant drop in play at the center position after Pouncey went down, but many on here didn't see that drop. In my opinion, the level of play at the center position didn't decrease, but everyone else around the replacements (Velasco/Wallace) got better. There's also something to be said about the skill positions gelling later on in the year...coming together as an offense.
    Last edited by Ernie; 04-14-2014 at 04:56 PM.

Backup

User Info Menu

Oh right, first year with a new offensive play caller and zero threat of a running game, which completely negates bens best quality...his play action pass

If he was a top 12 center in 2012, he should be back up to being top 5-7 with an actual real threat of a run game behind him
    First let me say that there are some Steelers fans who just don't see the production vs. the hype with Pouncey... Compounding to this fact is that some of us just don't like him as a human being and wish he wasn't in a Steelers uniform. Nothing you can say will change or convince us otherwise.

Some of us older Steelers fans grew up and lived through the great era's of tough as nails Steelers centers, Ray Mansfield, Mike Webster, Dermonti Dawson... And they were great character people as well... The new NFL is filled with gangsters and plain ole punks... It is what it is...

Legend

User Info Menu

i'm amazed how many fans want the steelers to pay top dollar for all our upcoming FAs then wonder why we have no money to go after any impact FAs, are always up against the cap, or get stuck with bad contracts.
    steelers = 3 ring circus with tomlin being the head clown

Legend

User Info Menu

First let me say that there are some Steelers fans who just don't see the production vs. the hype with Pouncey... Compounding to this fact is that some of us just don't like him as a human being and wish he wasn't in a Steelers uniform. Nothing you can say will change or convince us otherwise.

Some of us older Steelers fans grew up and lived through the great era's of tough as nails Steelers centers, Ray Mansfield, Mike Webster, Dermonti Dawson... And they were great character people as well... The new NFL is filled with gangsters and plain ole punks... It is what it is...
    those days are gone...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

oh so its a race thing.....lol