Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: What if Jake Matthews falls to us?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

You take him...no questions

Guy isnt a mauler but he is sensational in space, something we do not have. This would be like getting Joe Thomas at 15

Legend

User Info Menu

Keep in mind that Mike Munchak and Bruce Matthews played together on the same o-line in Houston from 1983 to 1993. Jake Matthews was born in 1992, so Mike Munchak has known the kid for literally his entire life. When Mike Munchak was promoted from OL coach to head coach in Tennessee in 2011, he hired his old friend and fellow Hall of Famer Bruce Matthews to replace him as the Titans' OL coach through last season. If there ever was a perfect LT prospect to select for an OL coached by Mike Munchak, it's Bruce Matthews' son.

I've been on the Mike Evans bandwagon since the beginning of this draft process, but I'd be ecstatic to take his TXA&M teammate instead (and I'm not talking about Johnny Football). I think Gilbert and Adams proves that taking OT on day two is a crapshoot, whereas there is tremendous depth at WR in this draft in particular, and we have had success taking WR's on day two in recent years (with Sweed being the exception that proves the rule).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

A chance at a franchise left tackle? I don't think their is anything to debate. You run up to the podium and take the guy. That would immediately solidify a position that we aren't strong at. If necessary you look to trade Adams or Gilbert but with our recent history with injuries to O linemen we need all we can get.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    You pick him... no questions asked.
    how was that NOT the end of the thread?
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Early April Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama
    2.51 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.84 -Sedrick Van Pran-Granger, C, Georgia
    3.98 -<tbd>
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Discipline of Steel View Post
    Excellent point! and on a side note....Delray beach? That is exactly 9 miles south of me. Where is your game day hangout?
    Usually home...find the atmosphere of the bar too distracting, plus I've got two other things to account for - one, I like to replay certain sequences to get a better look & second I've got two teenagers I'm grooming to be Steeler fans

That said, there's a place in Downtown Delray that's advertising itself as a Steelers bar that I wouldn't mind checking out.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Life View Post
    Usually home...find the atmosphere of the bar too distracting, plus I've got two other things to account for - one, I like to replay certain sequences to get a better look & second I've got two teenagers I'm grooming to be Steeler fans

That said, there's a place in Downtown Delray that's advertising itself as a Steelers bar that I wouldn't mind checking out.
    Just googled it and never been there. Its right on Federal and Atlantic. There is another one I have been to in Lake Worth but they had the volume up on the Dolphins game before so that doesn't really count!
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Jake Matthews could play any line position. He is talented at both run blocking and in pass pro. You'd be a fool not to pick him. Gilbert is going to be a UFA after this season. Adams and Beachum will be a UFA the following year (2016). We don't have long term solutions at T yet.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Life View Post

What's it called? I often come down in December/January and we stay at my brother-in-law's place near there. I usually watch at his place as I've never gone to a bar that did not feature the Dolphins prominently. I'd love to find a Steeler bar to watch the game with volume.