Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: What if Jake Matthews falls to us?

Legend

User Info Menu

I would take Matthews and not look back. Let Adams and Gilbert fight it out at RT and Beachum fill a super-sub role.

To even consider a trade down when there is a blue chip LT on the board, you'd have to get a lot back. Something along the lines of trading back in the first this year and picking up another #1 next year.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Life View Post
    Keep in mind that if he's there & we don't take him - he falls to the Ravens rights behind us & you face him for the next 4-8 years.
    Excellent point! and on a side note....Delray beach? That is exactly 9 miles south of me. Where is your game day hangout?
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
    Not even close a ton of value at WR left but no LT even close can still get good WR in 2-6
    Evans is a game changer...I don't think it would be an easy decision.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Evans is a game changer...I don't think it would be an easy decision.
    I agree.. I guess the question is: is there value at LT in rounds 2-6 that equals value at WR in those same rounds? If not, then I think you have to go with Matthews..

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    I would take Matthews and not look back. Let Adams and Gilbert fight it out at RT and Beachum fill a super-sub role.

To even consider a trade down when there is a blue chip LT on the board, you'd have to get a lot back. Something along the lines of trading back in the first this year and picking up another #1 next year.
    $$$$$$$

I'm with you on this. It's a deep enough draft that we can address other areas of concern in the later rounds, but if the Steelers by some miracle get a chance to take Jake, I don't see any way they pass him up.

Legend

User Info Menu

yea, lets take another oline with a premium pick.
    how about evaluating the right guys and then coaching them up instead of just spending high picks and hope they work out
    steelers = 3 ring circus with tomlin being the head clown

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    yea, lets take another oline with a premium pick.
    how about evaluating the right guys and then coaching them up instead of just spending high picks and hope they work out
    I appreciate you like the skilled position players, but the game is won or lost on the line of scrimmage. When you get the chance to draft a top tier prospect at LT you should do it. I don't think there is much "hope" he pans out, I think it is pretty close to a sure thing.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thor75 View Post
    I appreciate you like the skilled position players, but the game is won or lost on the line of scrimmage. When you get the chance to draft a top tier prospect at LT you should do it. I don't think there is much "hope" he pans out, I think it is pretty close to a sure thing.

same thing was said about pouncey(average), decastro(good), gilbert (average) adams(below average).
    all these guys were drafted and every steelers 'fan' clamored about how they got a great player and would anchor down a spot for year to come. years later and we still are below average.
    steelers = 3 ring circus with tomlin being the head clown

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    same thing was said about pouncey(average), decastro(good), gilbert (average) adams(below average).
    all these guys were drafted and every steelers 'fan' clamored about how they got a great player and would anchor down a spot for year to come. years later and we still are below average.
    I don't remember anyone saying Gilbert or Adams would be "sure things"...I remember hearing a lot of talk about "potential" with them, but also concerns about whether they would ever really pan out.

I did hear pre-draft evaluations touting DeCastro as being a sure thing...and I think by the second half of last season, he was showing himself to indeed be a very good player.

Pouncey had a terrific rookie year, but his play has declined since then--I think a considerable part of that could be due to his injuries.
    Last edited by BradshawsHairdresser; 04-13-2014 at 11:18 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I would agree BHD...nice synopsis
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.