Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should privately owned teams receive public tax $?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Should privately owned teams receive public tax $?

So, are the Rooneys getting public tax money to add seats to the stadium? Should they be allowed to do that? Is that fair to the tax payers?

Legend

User Info Menu

So you are asking if it's ok for a private organization to receive money from the public so they can overcharge the public for additional seating which will put more money into their pockets? Yeah, I'm thinking not.
    Trolls are people too.

Rookie

User Info Menu

This is the beloved capitalist model. If one given municipality won't pony up for an NFL franchise, the franchise has the option to move...

OTOH, 3,000 more seats = potentially 3,000 more meals eaten at local restaurants and perhaps 1,500 more area hotel rooms booked...not to mention parking, etc.

The Rooneys don't see any of that action...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If the Public backs it why not??
    Private Companies benefit from tax dollars everyday.
    As long as the public approves why not?
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Backup

User Info Menu

Or the government could give over $500 million to companies like Solyndra, $43 million to Beacon Power, $98 million to Nevada Geothermal or BILLIONS more to other companies with ties to the White House? If you are going to keep the Government out then keep them out.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    So you are asking if it's ok for a private organization to receive money from the public so they can overcharge the public for additional seating which will put more money into their pockets? Yeah, I'm thinking not.
    Too bad it isn't a perfect world, because I agree 100%. Especially when you see all the yellow seats that I seem to see (i.e. empty seats) more and more at Heinz. Truth is, I really don't know how this all works because baseball teams continue to throw money at everything/everyone, even though their games aren't packed... Sadly, teams can hold teams ransom over a city, leaving if they don't get what they want.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    This is the beloved capitalist model. If one given municipality won't pony up for an NFL franchise, the franchise has the option to move...

OTOH, 3,000 more seats = potentially 3,000 more meals eaten at local restaurants and perhaps 1,500 more area hotel rooms booked...not to mention parking, etc.

The Rooneys don't see any of that action...
    You forgot the $10.00 beers

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    Too bad it isn't a perfect world, because I agree 100%. Especially when you see all the yellow seats that I seem to see (i.e. empty seats) more and more at Heinz. Truth is, I really don't know how this all works because baseball teams continue to throw money at everything/everyone, even though their games aren't packed... Sadly, teams can hold teams ransom over a city, leaving if they don't get what they want.
    Yeah see, the Rooneys need Pittsburgh as much as Pittsburgh needs the Steelers. Holding the city hostage so they can "get a piece" of the other local economies is nothing but greed. If I own a business that brings people into the area that eat at local restaurants that doesn't entitle me to tax money to further build my business.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

It should go on the ballot for a vote. I'm funny that way with my money, I think I should get to decide of I want to help out a private business or not. I think the Rooneys would find out very quickly that the majority of citizens in Allegheny county really aren't interested in helping the Rooneys financially.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

stadium being payed by tax payers... isnt this the reason why the HS chamionships are played there every year (and in turn, chews up the field)