Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Are the Rooneys too greedy?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

On average, I get home to the 'Burgh for Steeler games 3x/regular game schedule--always December Browns, Bengals and 3rd one depends on my work schedule and who they are playing. I do not drink alcohol there as I generally drive back to home (to OH) and learned from Ruth about the designated driver option so will check that out. They do not have what I want to drink--coffee! We did, however, get free hot chocolate this past winter Bengals night game!

Sent off an email to the Steelers' headquarters asking where they are in the season ticket offerings. The reply "we are working on requests from 1995". So, as the older folks in my former neighborhood would say "I will be pushing up the daisies" before mine ever gets around (2009).

Kindle

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm not skimping on beer, parking, food if I'm only going to 1 game every few years.

I'm a stay at home fan but if I go I'm damn sure going to enjoy myself and make the most of the experience.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I'm not skimping on beer, parking, food if I'm only going to 1 game every few years.

I'm a stay at home fan but if I go I'm damn sure going to enjoy myself and make the most of the experience.
    And, here's the alternate option to us "I would rather stay at home" fans, if you go once a year, live it up, eat, drink and be merry!

Pappy

The 2024 Pittsburgh Steeler draft

1.20 - Troy Fautanu, T, Washington
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia
    3.84 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.98 - Payton Wilson, LB, UNC
    4.119 - Mason McCprmick, OG, S. Dakota St
    7.178 - Logan Lee, DT, Iowa
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

While I agree staying at home and watching on a big screen is more comfortable, cheaper and you don't miss any parts of the game. With that said nothing beats the atmosphere and excitement of watching the black and gold play. Seeing how the fans can pump up the players, turning to the guy next to you, who you don't know and giving him a high five or even a hug after the steelers do something great. That's why you go to the game.

I live in the DC area and my wife and I make the pilgrimage once a year and it is something we both look forward to. We start talking about it as soon as the schedule is announced, see what kind of deal we can get on tickets, and make hotel reservations. It gets to be an expensive trip but we love it. Nothing, I repeat, NOTHING beats going to a night game and they start to play Renegade. It always gives me chills.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    Nothing, I repeat, NOTHING beats going to a night game and they start to play Renegade. It always gives me chills.
    You are so right! It is awesome. Everyone is up on their feet and he noise is deafening.

The very first Steelers game I attended was on the day after Christmas when the Steelers were playing the Ravens. OMG...when Brian Billick and the Ravens came out of the visitors tunnel, I swear that stadium was actually moving.

Kindle

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post

That's why I usually go luxury seats or bust. It also comes with a VIP party pass, where they have free drinks, carved roast beef and lamb, etc. Nice spread, and you pay nothing.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Both things are true: In some ways staying home actually beats going to a game. But there is nothing like the chills of being there live. I like some of both. But, the older I get, the less the live pros beat the live cons. Fighting traffic, immense expense, drunk idiots, frigid temps (not here but up north) all make me want to attend live less and less. But I understand the awesome spirit you feel at a live game. I don't think anyone who calls themselves a "real fan" can make that claim unless they have been to a live game.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    I am now a stay at home fan as well, the comforts of home are too enticing to get me to attend in person. I typically will go to one game a year in person just so that I can say I went. As Ruthless mentioned in a different thread, I think, eat prior to heading out to the game or meet for a tailgate, I don't drink, so they could charge $19.00 for a beer and it wouldn't affect me one way or the other, I can tolerate my one, possibly two trips to the bathroom and since I've eaten before I walk in the stadium I don't pay for poorly cooked over priced food either. We park downtown ($5) and walk, it's a nice walk across the bridge (Fort Duquesne or Clemente) and allows for more time with friends and/or family.

By the way Ghost, I noticed you're a Stout beer fan, you might want to try a Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout (expensive, but worth it my book). I don't drink any longer, but when I did indulge that was my absolute favorite beer.

Pappy
    Thanks for the beer tip. I have has The Sam Smith. Here in the south the Highland Oatmeal Porter is quite good as is the Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout (also known as Wake and Bake) as well.

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers players weigh in on Sterling ban

April, 29, 2014
    By Scott Brown | ESPN.com

PITTSBURGH -- Several Pittsburgh Steelers applauded the NBA for imposing a lifetime ban on Donald Sterling in the wake of the racist comments the league says the owner of the Los Angeles Clippers made in a recorded conversation.

The controversy, which transcended sports, prompted players such as defensive end Cameron Heyward to express how much they appreciate playing for the Rooney family, which has owned the Steelers since their inception in 1933.

"I’m very blessed and humbled to be part of an organization that values their workers," Heyward said on Tuesday, shortly before NBA commissioner Adam Silver announced the Sterling ban. "It’s just an unfortunate situation with what’s going on out there. A lot of organizations can learn from it and just grow from it."

Steelers left tackle Kelvin Beachum said Silver did the right thing in taking a hard line against Sterling.

"I think it was needed," Beachum said. "What [Sterling] did was not right and was very disappointing. If I was a player for him I would be very disappointed to know that my owner spoke like that, especially being of African-American descent."

When asked if the controversy showed the contrast between Sterling and Steelers chairman emeritus Dan Rooney, Beachum chuckled.

"It’s not even a comparison," the third-year veteran said. "Ever since I’ve known the Rooneys they’ve been cordial. You never hear anything that’s negative in any way. Any man that can come up and shake your hand and talk to you and have a great relationship with you, and you know genuinely that’s how he feels, that’s a great thing. I’ve had that with [Dan Rooney and Steelers president Art Rooney II]."

Dan Rooney is in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, and he has long been at the forefront of promoting diversity in the NFL. He pushed for a requirement enacted in 2003 that requires teams to interview at least one minority candidate when hiring a general manager or head coach, and it is commonly known as the Rooney Rule.

Veteran wide receiver Lance Moore played the previous nine seasons in New Orleans before signing with the Steelers last month.

He said he is fortunate to have played for an owner like Tom Benson in New Orleans and now for the Rooney family.

“Tom Benson did things the right way. He made sure his players were taken care of, and the players in turn played hard for him,” Moore said. “The Rooneys, from the short time I’ve been here as well as what I’ve heard about them, they are awesome. They are all about their players and their organization and doing things the right way.”

[URL]http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/78782/steelers-players-weigh-in-on-sterling-ban[/URL]