Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Odds on our first rnd pick...

Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    NO rookie is going to just come in and start this year. I hope to hell they don't draft like that. The Steelers try to fill all their spots before the draft so they can get the best players in the draft. Drafting a DL because you need one is a horrible draft strategy.

Well who is our second outside starting WR ?...Not Moore or Wheaton. I mean Wheaton will likely be our slot option. But not our outside option. And if we are not drafting a DL to be a starter, then who is our starter ?...Kiesel ?...He's not even signed, and no other teams even looked at him. Our back-up is gone in Woods...so who ? Okay so maybe we do bring back Kiesel, and draft a DL fairly high to get him some early time to learn. Maybe we do start Brown and Wheaton, and bring Moore in as a Slot, and draft a Bigger, taller WR, and hopefully get him ready by the half way point of the season. But, a CB will never see the field for us...not until Gay is released, or Taylor is Cut.

So in this draft, where I see no big difference from the 1st CB in this draft to the 10th one....I can't see the steelers wasting the 15th on a CB.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by thetruthteller View Post
    Guys, I understand your reasoning for a CB. But, since we are set at that spot...for at least this year with Taylor, Gay and Cortez Allen....do you really think the Steelers are gonna take a CB, and at pick 15 when there is no open spot for him to start ?

Sorry my friends but I don't see it. No, I still think some sort of trade down will happen that can address two Major needs. One being the D-Line. I mean both Hood and Woods are gone. And who knows if " The Beard " will be back. No, I think we only stay at 15 if some how the Steelers 1st WR option, Mike Evans drops. If not, then we will look to trade down. Either with San Fran, Houston, and yes, even the Browns. And then we will add the best D-Linemen and WR in those first two picks.
    We never draft for a player to start in year 1. Ben didn't even start when he was drafted 11th.

If a player can beat out a starter he will play but we NEVER draft to fill holes with rookies.

Well who is our second outside starting WR ?...Not Moore or Wheaton. I mean Wheaton will likely be our slot option. But not our outside option. And if we are not drafting a DL to be a starter, then who is our starter ?...Kiesel ?...He's not even signed, and no other teams even looked at him. Our back-up is gone in Woods...so who ? Okay so maybe we do bring back Kiesel, and draft a DL fairly high to get him some early time to learn. Maybe we do start Brown and Wheaton, and bring Moore in as a Slot, and draft a Bigger, taller WR, and hopefully get him ready by the half way point of the season. But, a CB will never see the field for us...not until Gay is released, or Taylor is Cut.

So in this draft, where I see no big difference from the 1st CB in this draft to the 10th one....I can't see the steelers wasting the 15th on a CB.
    What happens the year following at the CB position if we don't draft one this year since they never start year one (supposedly)? You would have to start Gay and Allen, I say get a CB now and get him going. He just may start they haven't drafted one very high in a long while, you never know.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

Taylor has probably a year left. You are making the mistake of thinking that any rookie is going to come in and start. They won't. Why can't Moore start? He's a vet and has played at a high level. No DL you draft is going to start this year either. So it isn't about this year. The draft never is about the year the player is drafted in. You start drafting for "needs" and you'll end up like the browns.

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    We never draft for a player to start in year 1. Ben didn't even start when he was drafted 11th.

If a player can beat out a starter he will play but we NEVER draft to fill holes with rookies.

I'm sorry sir but I disagree. I mean Jones was drafted last year to be a starter....he just sucked is all. And Pouncey was drafted to be our Immediate starting Center cause Justin Hartwig retired after the 2009 season. Also, even though he got hurt early on, Dave Decastro was drafted to be our starting Guard. There are a lot more examples as well. So the Steelers have drafted for Immediate need in the past.

Legend
    I'm sorry sir but I disagree. I mean Jones was drafted last year to be a starter....he just sucked is all. And Pouncey was drafted to be our Immediate starting Center cause Justin Hartwig retired after the 2009 season. Also, even though he got hurt early on, Dave Decastro was drafted to be our starting Guard. There are a lot more examples as well. So the Steelers have drafted for Immediate need in the past.
    Jones wasn't drafted to start. Worilds and Woodley were our starters and Worilds struggled early on so Jones got a shot and failed.

Decastro and Pouncey weren't expected to start as well. Sure we hoped they would crack the starting line up but we always approach our draft with the anticipation they won't.

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Jones wasn't drafted to start. Worilds and Woodley were our starters and Worilds struggled early on so Jones got a shot and failed.

Decastro and Pouncey weren't expected to start as well. Sure we hoped they would crack the starting line up but we always approach our draft with the anticipation they won't.

If Pouncey wasn't expected to be a starter, then what Center did the Steelers sign in free agency to be their starter ? Cause I don't remember one. And as stated, our starter for years in Hartwig retired. That's why the Pouncey selection in 2010 was the easiest prediction for everyone that draft.

Starter
    To the guys who think a rookie CB is not going to potentially start in year 1...what are the chances that Ike (at 35)... C. Allen (who was hurt last year)...and W. Gay all remain healthy for the entire season?

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    To the guys who think a rookie CB is not going to potentially start in year 1...what are the chances that Ike (at 35)... C. Allen (who was hurt last year)...and W. Gay all remain healthy for the entire season?

I would hardly call Allen and his 2 games he missed being seriously Injured. And Ike didn't miss a game all last year. And Gay has never missed a single game ever in his entire career. Not to mention we already have depth based talent behind them already who have played, and know our system.

My final odds on these guys being our 1st rounder....R. Shazier is shooting up my board. Dude ran like a 4.4 40

D. Dennard CB M. State 16%
    CJ Mosely ILB ALA 14%
    *J. Gilbert CB OK ST. 13%
    K. Fuller CB Va Tech 12%
    Odell Beckham Jr. WR LSU 10%
    Ryan Shazier ILB OSU 10%

*An offensive Tackle (Lewan, Thomas) 7%
    E. Ebron TE N.Carolina 5%
    *M. Evans WR T A & M 5%
    *A. Barr OLB UCLA 3%
    L. Nix DT N. Dame 3%
    M. Lee WR USC 2%