Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Odds on our first rnd pick...

Legend

User Info Menu

If I were to place odds on the Steelers next pick it would be something like this...

1) Dennard-25%
    2) Gilbert-20%
    3) Mosley-20%
    4) Ebron-15%
    with the additional 20% scattered amongst the various other picks such as Barr, Evans, Hageman, Lee, and Lewan. I would put Benjamin at less than 1% and he wouldn't make my list.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mick'sTeam View Post
    Apparently, the decision has already been made.

[URL]http://www.pittsburghmagazine.com/Best-of-the-Burgh-Blogs/Pulling-No-Punches/April-2014/This-is-Who-the-Steelers-Are-Going-to-Draft-in-Round-One/[/URL]
    Writers name is Conboy. I think the con job is in. Anyone who deals in absolutes is just talking. Lions won't draft a wr because they sign Golden Tate...really. Evans is there he easily could go 10th. And for Conboy what if Dennard isn't there at 15? Article is weak and that does not mean I do not like Dennard.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Iron City Inc. View Post
    Writers name is Conboy. I think the con job is in. Anyone who deals in absolutes is just talking. Lions won't draft a wr because they sign Golden Tate...really. Evans is there he easily could go 10th. And for Conboy what if Dennard isn't there at 15? Article is weak and that does not mean I do not like Dennard.
    Lions probably won't draft a WR unless their DB of choice isn't there.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

While I agree with the articles premise...it will be Dennard if he is there....there is much nonsense in that article specifically when he talked about the Steelers not having a super star at WR. Brown is a top 5 NFL WR. The Steelers need two things to help him out...one is a big red zone target, and a guy to force safeties out of the box. They need a guy to take the top off, and a big possession type WR who can move chains.

Nix didn't flop last year, he was asked to do different things. He was looking at the stat sheet to assess the talent of Nix which is short sighted at best. He is going to be a very good interior DLman. With that said, I see almost no way the Steelers draft him.

I agree very much with his conclusion, but disagree with how he got there. But, we can agree the Lions draft Gilbert. If they don't I fear the worst. If the Lions go with the home town guy in Dennard, some other team will salivate over Gilbert's potential and leave the Steelers with no DB options besides Fuller.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Reading scouting reports on Mosley make him out to be an amazing talent.
    Im up and down and back and forth on mosely. Keith Rivers one moment, then dissecting plays with football ESP Kuechly style the next.

Not as good as Mcclain was, better than Hightower....although I loved hightower in a thumper role that could play all 4 LB positions

I think come draft day I am going to have Shazier a tick higher as a MLB

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Lions probably won't draft a WR unless their DB of choice isn't there.
    Most of my family lives up there and from what I hear Lions fans want Dennard. Bad. That's not to say that the team will actually listen to their fans...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

It really isn't rocket science. There is no way Gilbert, Dennard, or Evans gets by the Steelers. I think it is safe to say there is a 100% chance any of those names will come off the board. Even if Barr is there with one of those names...The pick will be "one of those names". It may be a good thing that Ebron did not do well at his Pro Day catching the ball. He may still be on the board & if the Top 3 guys are gone..I would be ok with him. I went back to do some more on his blocking & how much he played inline. I'm sure Haley could find a way to work him in as a Flex TE in the slot with Miller on the field.

I see it this way. The list of 13 below are players I view as value at pick #15. Not saying "Steelers picks"...Saying grade. Ebron made the bottom of the list. I still would be picking up the phone if Ebron is the last man standing. But if they have to pick & Ebron is the guy..The value is good at #15.

Clowney
    Robinson
    Matthews
    Bortles
    Watkins
    Mack
    Manziel
    Donald
    Barr
    Gilbert
    Evans
    Dennard
    Ebron

Here's the list the Steelers need teams to reach-overdraft on. These are the players that will help push some of the players in the list above down. It is likely some of these names could go before #15 with teams drafting need.

Lewan - Tackle needy team could take next man up. Its the story as old as the draft.
    Bridewater - Very possible 3 QBs go before Steelers. Here is the best bet.
    Jernigan - One of those position like LT & QB...If you need one you have to take one if the drop off to next pick is great.
    Clinton-Dix - 1st safety debate (with Pryor). Top 20 guys who fill need for team.
    Pryor - See above.
    Martin - See Lewan.
    Mosley - Without the hip injury...One could argue he should be in that Top list. He rebounded well. The "Need to know" is in the hands of the teams. Where he is drafted will tell us what they think.

Just need two to push one of the list above to the Steelers. Minus Bortles, Manziel, & Donald of course but they should be long gone. With QBs...There is always the reach factor & surprises. If Browns pass at #4 do they come back up from 26 to get a QB? Do the Rams prove "where there's smoke" & take a QB at their 2nd pick in the 1st at #13 because they do feel Bradford isn't their guy? I think there is a very good chance 3 Qbs come off before #15. Especially if the Texans decide Bortles is their guy & take him even if they can't trade back. So just one more player...Pick your winner. I don't think it is unrealistic to think that one of Gilbert, Dennard, or Evans slips though the cracks.

Legend

User Info Menu

Don't forget the name Ryan Shazier. I think he could be the surprise choice at #15.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Don't forget the name Ryan Shazier. I think he could be the surprise choice at #15.
    He and timmons would be amazing together. That could be the meanest inside cross blitz

Backup

User Info Menu

The fact is nobody really knows anything right now. Hell who thought Bey would be taken in the top 10 a few years ago? Also remember that teams put together their boards differently. For example; last year the Steelers had Jones as one of their top 6-8 players. We know this because Colbert said so in an article after the draft. But we also know that Dallas didn't even have him on their board. Now, we don't know why but we know he wasn't.

The point is that draft "analysis" try to put players with certain teams based on needs. But the fact is that all war rooms assess their team needs and player evaluations differently. That's why the best mock guys hit at less than 50% of their mocks. Teams put out false info all the time. During the draft players that people have never heard of will be drafted high and some pre-draft assured 1st rounders will last until late in the draft. It happens every year.

As long as the Steelers stay true to their board I'm good. Take the BPA in every round and they'll be fine. Don't reach for players and don't fall in love. I'd be fine if they traded down.