Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tomlin looks forward to “significant step” from Markus Wheaton

Tomlin looks forward to “significant step” from Markus Wheaton

The Steelers have lost Emmanuel Sanders and Jerricho Cotchery in free agency, leaving the team with 113 catches to replace from last season’s offense.

The draft will likely bring some potential contributors in the passing game and Pittsburgh has signed Lance Moore and Darrius Heyward-Bey, but the Steelers will also be looking to one of last year’s draft choices to help fill the void. Markus Wheaton played 11 games after being selected in the third round, but caught just six passes and struggled with a broken finger. Wheaton had surgery to repair the injury after the season and coach Mike Tomlin said the team is looking for more from Wheaton in his second season.

“It’s tough to play wide receiver with broken fingers,” Tomlin said, via the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “I look forward to him taking a significant step for us. I know that we need him to.”

Antonio Brown and Heath Miller are the only real knowns as targets for Ben Roethlisberger at the moment, so the Steelers will need someone to step up to round out their passing attack. Wheaton has the most upside of any in-house contenders for the role, but potential will have to turn into results for Pittsburgh’s offense to thrive.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...arkus-wheaton/

Wheaton might be the biggest X factor for this season. If he can come into camp and win the starting #2 spot that would be big.

I hope. It's a bit disheartening to have so many newbies in the receiving corps.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    http://www.anewsong.com

My son's first Kansas Turkey!

Hall of Famer
    Honestly, the situation shouldn't surprise anyone if you follow the Steelers. It is an infrequent occurrence for the Steelers to re-up on a rookie WR contract.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Honestly, the situation shouldn't surprise anyone if you follow the Steelers. It is an infrequent occurrence for the Steelers to re-up on a rookie WR contract.
    I hope that Wheaton can prove worthy enough for the Steelers to break tradition again....

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    But isn't that as much or more because of the rookie receivers we've had than a general Steelers policy? Hines Ward and AB deservedly got 2nd contracts. Not sure I can recall many others in recent history worthy of a 2nd contract.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    But isn't that as much or more because of the rookie receivers we've had than a general Steelers policy? Hines Ward and AB deservedly got 2nd contracts. Not sure I can recall many others in recent history worthy of a 2nd contract.
    nah..I think it's policy.

We usually keep 1 chain mover/hard worker and let every other WR get rich in FA.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    nah..I think it's policy.

We usually keep 1 chain mover/hard worker and let every other WR get rich in FA.

too busy to look it up, but that's my sense as well....

I don't think it is a policy. Go look at the WRs taken the past few years. Who would they have paid? Wallace wanted way too much and Sanders wanted paid as well. Neither were worth the money. They had no problem re-signing Randle EL after he came back from Washington. But Holmes and Plex were knuckleheads.