Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chadman's Draft Thread

Legend

User Info Menu

Chadman's Draft Thread

Over the last few years I've spent MUCH more time on this (this year has produced it's own challenges), so better late than never..

It'll be much briefer this year, without going over FA and all that stuff so much.

So far, leading up to the draft my take on the Steelers current situation is this:

Prior to FA- The Steelers needed to solidify CB, FS, NT, DE, OLB, WR with depth at RB, ILB & potentially OT.

Cuts/Extensions- By cutting Woodley, and resigning Worilds, the Steelers made their biggest FA move early. The committment is now on youth at OLB. Contract restructures for Polamalu & Taylor guarenteed them stating on, maybe dropping the 'need' at CB.

Signings/Losses- Signing Mitchell basically pushed Ryan Clark out the door. This was another instant upgrade, a good move. Signing Moore to replace Cotchery, Blount to replace Dwyer are both upgrades- Blount could be considered a dramatic upgrade. Heyward-Bey provides a better deep threat that Sanders, but probably isn't a significantly better WR, if at all. Moats is a solid back-up, which upgrades the non-existant Foote in some ways. Cam Thomas is a question. Not a bad pick-up, but as a DE, unsure if he upgrades even from Hood. Certainly not an upgrade on Keisel. If he moves to NT, he might not be a significant upgrade on McLendon (who was poor, despite some board love). Cam Thomas is essentially Al Woods replacement...the 5th DL. McCain, the CB from the Texans, is not an upgrade at all. Losing Keisel at this point could hurt, as no real replacement appears to be in place, unless McLendon is scheduled to shift across. (Not sure if that is even a suitable upgrade).

Players to Step Up- The most obvious players needed to step up next year would be Jarvis Jones (who was handed the starting ROLB job with Woodley's release), Mike Adams (if he can solidify the LT position, the OL is set for years) & Markus Wheaton (Sanders replacement?). If these 3 players can improve on last season, immediate help from outside the organisation is not required.

What will the Steelers look for in the Draft?

I have a number of theories in regard to how Tomlin/Colbert draft players.

Since their first draft, the Tomlin/Colbert mantra has been to alternate 1st round selections from Defense to Offense (perhaps to never allow one side of the ball to drop in player quality?).
    In 2007- Defense, 2008- Offense, 2009- Defense, 2010- Offense, 2011- Defense, 2012- Offense, 2013- Defense....2014?

Also, first round selections have MOSTLY involved LOS type players, or Front 7 types on Defense. Only Mendenhall was a 'skill player'. OL, DL & LB's are the focus.

The Steelers do not typically shy away from Jnr's in the 1st round, with a high number of Tomlin/Colbert 1st round picks being Jnr's.

Big school/Big production is the key to early draft picks. No small school players in the first 3 rounds. And Big 10, Big 12, SEC & ACC are the conferences of choice.

The Combine is not just for show. Not necessarily a guide for 1st round picks, but mid-round guys certainly- particularly WR's & CB's- who test well at the combine have been selected- Wallace, Sanders, Brown, Allen, Curtis Brown to name a few. Forget the 40, look for cone drills & jump drills.

Kevin Colbert DOES NOT LIE. When he talks pre-combine, when he gives an assessment of where the Steelers are at, he identifies key areas of need.

With these things in mind.....we can move on...
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Legend

User Info Menu

Draft Needs-

With all the moves made so far, it seems the areas most requiring upgrades in talent are:

WR, NT, DE, CB

2nd Tier-

RB, OT, ILB
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Legend

User Info Menu

Given that this is the Offense's turn to get a #1 draft pick, it would make sense that the target would be a WR.

Given that I've identified that WR's are 'Combine Viewable', with Vertical & Cone Drills being key attributes, here's a look at some early round options that fit the bill..

Marquise Lee- Rd 1- 38" vertical, 4.01s 20 yard

Odell Beckham- Rd 1-2 -38.5" vertical, 6.69s 3-Cone, 3.94s 20 Yard, 10.93s 60 Yard

Brandin Cooks- Rd 1-2 - 6.76s 3-Cone, 3.81s 20 Yard, 10.72s 60-Yard

Davante Adams- Rd 2- 39.5" Vertical, 6.82s 3-Cone

Allen Robinson- Rd 2- 39" Vertical, 4.00s 20 Yard, 11.36s 60-Yard

Donte Moncrief- Rd 2- 39.5" Vertical

Jared Abbrederis- Rd2-3 - 6.80s 3-Cone, 4.08s 20 Yard, 11.39s 60-Yard

Martavius Bryant- Rd2-3- 39" Vertical, 4.15s 20 Yard

Bruce Ellington- Rd3- 39.5" Vertical, 6.69s 3 Cone, 3.95s 20 Yard, 11.12s 60-Yard

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Legend

User Info Menu

Great break down. I have used your break downs in the past to tweak my mocks. Keeping last years break down in mind I made my current mock. With that said, if we do alternate and it's O, then the only two guys I can see going at 15 are Lee and Ebron. I see no way Evans falls, and the Steelers will not move up for him. IMO, 15 is a funk spot unless someone falls. I don't see the Steelers grabbing Lee, seems a bit too much like what we already have not really a complement to Brown. Ebron is a real possibility but my issue with Ebron is that he isn't known for blocking. Do the Steelers think they can coach up his blocking? Maybe. I don't believe safety is a need any longer and neither of the "first round guys" are #15 type guys. So that only leaves a hand full of guys.

1) Best DB on the board between Gilbert or Dennard. I think this is your pick if either falls.
    2) I see ILB more of a need than you do. Mosley would look real good out there.
    3) Nix, the big question for me with Nix is do the Steelers see him as a nickel defensive lineman. If so, he could be the pick.
    4) Barr might fall, but IMO he would be quite the luxury.
    5) As much as it scares me, if Lewan falls he will be on the Steelers radar.
    6) Hageman is a guy who makes much sense if the Steelers are in love with him, he fills one of the greatest needs on the DL.

IMO, the Steelers break their alternating O with D. WR is deep in round 2 talent. They wait. They grab D in the first.

1) Gilbert or Dennard
    2) Mosley
    3) Ebron
    4) Hageman or Nix

Barr and Lewan are on the table if either falls...crossing my fingers that neither are the pick.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Shawn your draft sucks.....
    champagne and oysters on the half shell! Congratulations!
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

It's fun for me to see all the info that you guys compile every year- especially since I pretty much quit watching NCAA ball. I don't know as much about the players coming in, but I do look at what the Steelers need. IMO, it looks like WR is the biggest need on O (still) although the heir apparent to Heath would be good to get on the roster. It seems like DE, ILB and CB are the most pressing needs on the D.

The good news is that the Steelers have covered themselves again so as to not absolutely need a rookie to start if the season started in June. This is the first year in a long time where I don't think they need to even sniff an OL at all in the draft, though they might find a value pick on down the line. BPA at a thin position will be the order of the day.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    Shawn your draft sucks.....
    champagne and oysters on the half shell! Congratulations!
    What? I think you had a bit too much of that champagne you are talking about.
    Trolls are people too.

Backup

User Info Menu

Very good post Chadman. We just disagree on the OL. Adams can't play LT IMHO. Beachum is better there. Also even if Adams could play LT the OL is not set. Adams had to play TE last year because Gilbert was so bad at RT. Also what will they do with Pouncey? He is a FA after this season. Gilbert's contract is up after this season. Then you have Adams, Foster and DeCastro coming up after the 2015 season.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    Very good post Chadman. We just disagree on the OL. Adams can't play LT IMHO. Beachum is better there. Also even if Adams could play LT the OL is not set. Adams had to play TE last year because Gilbert was so bad at RT. Also what will they do with Pouncey? He is a FA after this season. Gilbert's contract is up after this season. Then you have Adams, Foster and DeCastro coming up after the 2015 season.
    Well at least we know if you combine Gilbert with Adams they make one functional OLman. There is something to be said about that.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    Also what will they do with Pouncey? He is a FA after this season.
    Unless something unforeseen happens, I think the plan is to re-sign Pouncey. He is well respected in the locker room, the press and the coaches even if some fans don't share the love. That could change with additional major injuries (see Woodley), but the team seems happy with him.