Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Who Would You Draft?

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I have never disappointed you. You can always count on me!
    Tis true...you are my rock.

Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    As most of you know, the combativeness in here is a cub scout pizza party compared to many of the old boards out there. There were some so contentious that the # of flame posts out numbered football posts.
    I've been to those boards, there is a reason I don't stay...well besides the fact that they usually ban me.

Part of the reason I like this forum is because most here can disagree without being disagreeable. The fly's in the ointment usually don't last long either. Not a lot of internet tough guys with their cyber-cement deodorant on here and that is welcome to me. I like to be around the knowledgeable discussion of my favorite team, not some arena to showcase the polemical bromides that infect so many other forums.

Hall of Famer
    We have our arguments & move along. I don't dislike anyone in here. There was one I think most had a problem with who was over on the trib board. For the life of me I can't remember his name. I don't see his flavor in here so I don't think he is under another name.

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    These are the 14 players taken before us.... and there are no trade down options

Manziel, Bortles, Bridgewater
    Clowney, Mack, Barr, Mosley
    Robinson, Matthews
    Watkins, Evans
    Ebron
    Gilbert, Dennard

Id probably go with either Lee or Benjamin, but fuller, hageman, and shazier would get my consideration
    Problem is with this scenario you are asking without considering what could be had in round two. Most teams now are drafting as such.

Why would I draft Benjamin in round one when I know I can get a Jordan Matthews or Donte Moncrief in round two? Benjamin may have huge upside but these two are far more polished and NFL ready, and to me, there isn't that much separation between the three.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    These are the 14 players taken before us.... and there are no trade down options

Manziel, Bortles, Bridgewater
    Clowney, Mack, Barr, Mosley
    Robinson, Matthews
    Watkins, Evans
    Ebron
    Gilbert, Dennard

Id probably go with either Lee or Benjamin, but fuller, hageman, and shazier would get my consideration
    If the draft fell this way then I might go back a few months and dust off Nix. The guy who seemed to be an early favorite and then slipped to oblivion.

Look at it this way...
    After Watkins and Evans, I see a whole bunch of guys who can be had in the second and third rounds who are pretty close in value, so no WR for me.
    After Gilbert and Dennard I see a big drop off, and don't think that there is any more first round value at CB.
    No TE, I am still on the fence about Ebron.

I still think that we need a big upgrade in the middle, and many see Nix as the best NT available, with a big drop after. Will he be a three down player? No - but at least he should help us get to third down.

I have two issues with Nix. One is he is at best a 2 down player. When they play against NE, Indy, Den etc... he maybe on the sideline for most of the game. Those are playoff teams. So having your #1 pick on the sidelines for the playoffs is just insane. All these teams are going to spread the Steelers out. So he'll either be stuck on the field sucking air and making it impossible to get pressure or he'll be standing next to LeBeau. The reason the Steelers and many other teams went away from having a thumper like Kirkland at ILB is because they need to play the pass better because of the changing NFL. Why go back to a 1990's style by drafting a guy that can only play on running downs?

Secondly, he has bad knees (plural). He has tendinitis in both knees. He is going to weight at least 330lbs and probably more the older he gets. Taking him at #15 overall is a bad move IMHO.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    If the draft fell this way then I might go back a few months and dust off Nix. The guy who seemed to be an early favorite and then slipped to oblivion.

Look at it this way...
    After Watkins and Evans, I see a whole bunch of guys who can be had in the second and third rounds who are pretty close in value, so no WR for me.
    After Gilbert and Dennard I see a big drop off, and don't think that there is any more first round value at CB.
    No TE, I am still on the fence about Ebron.

I still think that we need a big upgrade in the middle, and many see Nix as the best NT available, with a big drop after. Will he be a three down player? No - but at least he should help us get to third down.

Nix is slipping because people are seeing what he really is. He was way overrated because he was the #1 rated pure Nose Tackle and too many people don't understand how the game has changed in the last 10 years and how much less important a Casey Hampton-like player is. Plus add in a two-down player and potentially bad knee and ask yourself why you would draft Nix in Round 1?
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Nix could be a three down player...

Just not in this defense where an NT is expected to command double teams and hold the point...

IMHO, Nix could be a deadly 3 Tech in the Warren Sapp mode...

Pro Bowler
    I really don't think Mosely will go that high but with this scenario & the current lack of bodies for the DL are the reason I'd go for Hageman. It's possible that Fuller might be a "safer" choice but Hageman not only is as much a physically dominant player as Clowney (admittedly ones that needs polishing), he fills a need. Beyond that I'll surprise & say the other consideration should be Kony Ealy, who's an excellent if unheralded player that would be an excellent back-up in case Worilds doesn't pan out.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...