Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gilbert vs Dennard

Legend

User Info Menu

Gilbert vs Dennard

I didnt see much of Gilbert, so I cant make a fair assesment of the two. For those that watched both play, whom would you pick on what u have seen, from both, up to this point?

Dont go by who the media has declared the best, but from what you know.
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I can't say i've seen a lot of GILBERT but I like DENNARD. GILBERT seems like he has upside b/c of his speed, but DENNARD seems like the better all around CB that would fit great in Pittsburgh
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

[url]http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/42487-Gilbert-vs-Dennard-state-your-case[/url]

you might find some of your answers there

Starter

User Info Menu

Give me Dennard every time. I think Gilbert gets bumped ahead of him because of his combine performance. Sure he has good measurables but the CB skills, I just don't see them. I think Gilbert will be a good ST guy but I don't think he will be as good as Dennard as a Corner. Dennard is/will the better all around player.
    1. CB – Marcus Peters – Washington – 6/190
    2. OG – Josue Matias – Florida State – 6-6/320
    3. OLB – Geneo Grissom – Oklahoma – 6-4/250
    4. DL – Ellis McCarthy – UCLA – 6-5/330
    5. TE – Jeff Heurman – Ohio State – 6-5/255
    6. FS – Adrian Amos – Penn State – 6/200
    7. DT – Terry Williams – East Carolina – 6-1/340

UDFA
    DB – Justin Cox – Mississippi St. – 6-2/190
    OLB – Davis Tull – Chattanooga – 6-2/242

Legend

User Info Menu

This is what the draft analysts had to say about one CB now in the NFL:

Strengths

.... possesses rare height for a corner with enough bulk and speed. Effective when lined up at the line in press man coverage. Uses length well and established sound initial positioning. Flashes the ability to turn and run. Flashes the ability to high-point the football. Willing to help out in run support. Weaknesses

Can be baited out of position when in zone and a tick late to diagnose underneath routes. Tall, high-cut prospect who displays some hip-stiffness. Not explosive when transitioning or when changing direction. Lacks great recovery skills when beaten off the line. Can struggle tacking in the open field at times.
    with this description, would you pick the guy in the 1st Rd or a late Rd?

Legend

User Info Menu

I'd be thrilled if the Steelers get either one of these two...but from watching them play (and I'll admit, I've seen way more of Dennard), I'd choose Dennard.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    This is what the draft analysts had to say about one CB now in the NFL:

with this description, would you pick the guy in the 1st Rd or a late Rd?
    You've piqued my curiosity...I'd rather see him play before making a decision. But what the hay, I'll play along... spend a third-round pick on the dude.
    Last edited by BradshawsHairdresser; 04-01-2014 at 12:19 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Dennard is a DB shadow...haven't seen ay of Gilbert. Dennard was the star of one of the best college Ds I have seen in recent years. I believe you probably have a more polished product with Dennard than any DB in this draft...he is a guy who will get early PT in passing packages.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Gilbert is not a special teams prospect lol

Its not his speed alone that gives him immense potential, its ball skills and ability to sink his hips and pivot while playing zone. He could have asante samuel like zone skills in reacting to the ball. Not that Gilbert would be the pick machine in our defense that he was at school but its funny for how frustrated fans get at ike for not getting all the pickzzzz but they want the exact same type of player in Dennard, a CB that can run on the WRs hip and is aware enough to get his head around to "play the ball, not the receiver" and rarely make the interception

Im starting to think neither will be there though

Legend

User Info Menu

FWIW, Mayock has now moved Gilbert to #3, behind Fuller...

Wouldn't be totally shocked if he was the Steelers pick.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Late-March Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon
    2.51 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.84 -
    "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.98 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    4.117 - Jordan Travis, QB, FSU
    6.178 -Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Isaac Guerendo, RB, Louisville