Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: At Least For The Rest Of This Offseason...

Rookie

User Info Menu

At Least For The Rest Of This Offseason...

...can we stop with the "The Steelers only bring in free agents for PR" stuff?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Who says that???

the Steelers rarely brought in Free Agents in the past b/c they drafted so well.

A few years of poor drafting and now we're needing to replace guys in F.A.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Rookie

User Info Menu

Who says that? Really?

Read some of the threads regarding FA visits (ie MJD)...

Legend

User Info Menu

Well, I'm one who says that some (not all) of the FAs they bring in for visits are not really serious looks, but mostly for PR. Let me ask you...do you think they were really serious about signing Louis Delmas? Or Alex Carrington? What would lead you to believe so? (Turns out they could have had him for $1.5 million for a year if they'd wanted him--they spent more than that on Cam Thomas). Do you really think they were serious about trying to sign Maurice Jones-Drew? They already knew what he was looking for, and it was more than they wanted to pay.

What about Elvis Dumervil and Dwight Freeney last year? Don't know if they ever brought them in for visits, but they were vocal about wanting to do so. Cash-strapped as the Steelers were, do you really think they were serious about making a play for those guys?

I stand by what I said. And if I think they're doing it again, guess what? I'll likely say so again! Last I checked, this is a board to register OPINIONS. Feel free to disagree, but don't expect me to quit saying what I believe just because you don't like it.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Alex Carrington visited, Cam Thomas was signed - defensive ends. Clearly serious visits.
    Louis Delmas vistied, Mike Mitchell was signed - free safeties. Clearly serious visits.
    MJD visited, Blount was signed - running backs. Clearly serious visits.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    Well, I'm one who says that some (not all) of the FAs they bring in for visits are not really serious looks, but mostly for PR. Let me ask you...do you think they were really serious about signing Louis Delmas? Or Alex Carrington? What would lead you to believe so? (Turns out they could have had him for $1.5 million for a year if they'd wanted him--they spent more than that on Cam Thomas). Do you really think they were serious about trying to sign Maurice Jones-Drew? They already knew what he was looking for, and it was more than they wanted to pay.

What about Elvis Dumervil and Dwight Freeney last year? Don't know if they ever brought them in for visits, but they were vocal about wanting to do so. Cash-strapped as the Steelers were, do you really think they were serious about making a play for those guys?

I stand by what I said. And if I think they're doing it again, guess what? I'll likely say so again! Last I checked, this is a board to register OPINIONS. Feel free to disagree, but don't expect me to quit saying what I believe just because you don't like it.
    You can say whatever you want to...even after you are proven wrong...that's cool...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    You can say whatever you want to...even after you are proven wrong...that's cool...
    That's pretty funny coming from you...

But you've "proven" nothing in regard to the Steelers' seriousness about signing all these players. I'll admit, I have no "proof" for my assertion...it's just my opinion. But I guess you have "proof"...so give us the juicy details of the team's inner conversations to back your assertion up.

Rookie

User Info Menu

The proof is in the new Steeler contracts given out...

Read D Rock's post...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

So do you dislike the Steelers bringing these guys in? or that the fans thinking that they have no chance in signing them - thus it is a PR move? I just don't see it as a PR move. Why waste the time and energy? They probably glean a lot of info from these guys coming in. What's their health, their football IQ, how they see themselves contributing, etc.

It could just be plain old information gathering, same as the combine, pro days for rookies. These guys are just vets.

The PR viewpoint is far fetched imo. Since when have the Steelers ran their operation according to fan polls?
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thor75 View Post

Since when have the Steelers ran their operation according to fan polls?
    I think that the Steelers, like other NFL teams, do a LOT of things to cater to what they think their fans might want.

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick
    The proof is in the new Steeler contracts given out...

Read D Rock's post...
    I did read his post. But there were no "Steeler contracts" given to Delmas, Carrington, or MJD. How do the contracts given to the other guys "prove" that the Steelers were serious about trying to sign Delmas, Carrington, or MJD?