Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Aaron Donald...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Actually, quite a few moch drafts have him going before #15. He was probably the best performing DL at the combine. I often wondered if he could be a Levon Kirkland like ILB?????

It's a shame we pass on talent like him because we are wedded to a system versus getting the best players.
    And how many players have thrived in Pittsburgh that wouldn't have been a good fit in other systems. For DPOY James Harrison is a perfect example. He is not a good fit in a 4-3, where he wouldn't have nearly the opportunity to rush the passer that he did in Pittsburgh.

I know you love the 4-3, but the Steelers or any other franchise would be absolutely foolish to change their system to accommodate a potential draftee.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    And how many players have thrived in Pittsburgh that wouldn't have been a good fit in other systems. For DPOY James Harrison is a perfect example. He is not a good fit in a 4-3, where he wouldn't have nearly the opportunity to rush the passer that he did in Pittsburgh.

I know you love the 4-3, but the Steelers or any other franchise would be absolutely foolish to change their system to accommodate a potential draftee.
    I don't disagree but JH isn't a good example... he's old.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

James harrison wasnt a "good fit" for a 34 either lol.

He was just a beast

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post

It's not about Donald, its about the many players we don't consider becauise of scheme and those who we do who can't "convert."

The 4-3 is a more flexible and forgiving scheme in terms of incorporating new talent. That's always been my issue.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    Schematically hes not a good fit.

Hes just plays ball though, some guys can just play.

Realistically at his size he can play any dline or even linebacker position for us. Bull rush on the outside, be a hammer on the inside.

Would feel soooo much better about taking him if he were a second round prospect though

Yes... as in, can you say LT Kelvin Beachum...?

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    It's not about Donald, its about the many players we don't consider becauise of scheme and those who we do who can't "convert."

The 4-3 is a more flexible and forgiving scheme in terms of incorporating new talent. That's always been my issue.
    And if there were any evidence of the 4-3 being more flexible and forgiving, I would agree...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I don't disagree but JH isn't a good example... he's old.
    Even when he was younger, he'd be miscast as a 4-3 DE or OLB.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Let's just change our scheme every draft just so we can make Ovi happy.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis View Post
    Let's just change our scheme every draft just so we can make Ovi happy.
    Just once will be fine, but thank you for the offer and consideration!
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Ovi fails to realize how many "Can't MISS" prospects fail every year in the 43 defense. Remember Courtney Brown? The DT from LSU? God, there's hundreds.