Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good article on Dennard

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by steelsnis View Post
    This may have no basis in fact, but I always look at CB as a position that you need to draft high to get a great one. I'm sure there are many good non-first-rounders out there, but it seems it's a good position to look at if you have a higher pick than you usually do.

Dennard is really good in run support as well, something that is always welcome in Pittsburgh.
    My point was that is what they said about Tye Hill and he was a huge liability as a tackler

I agree with you to a point, but if the scheme stands as it theres no point in taking one in the first...it could be beneficial if we are building for life after lebeau, but he may out live us all

To test your theory...off the top of my head:

Legit #1 CBs whether now or at some point in their career

Darrelle Revis
    Leon Hall
    Jonathan Joseph
    Antonio Cromartie
    Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie
    Pacman Jones
    Patrick Peterson
    Deangelo Hall
    Quentin Jammer
    Terrence Newman
    Nnamdi Asomugha

Servicable, yet unspectacular players or players with potential left

Antoine Cason
    Kareem Jackson
    Dre Kirkpatrick
    Mo Claiborne
    Vontae Davis
    Dunta Robinson
    Dee Milliner
    Prince Amukamara

Busts

Kyle Wilson
    Tye Hill
    Patrick Robinson

So off the top of my head I can name 3 flat out busts at Cbs in the first round...not as bad as I thought it would be

Now here I was thinking of someone else.. someone we drafted a while back.... You all are thinking (and maybe its because you all are younger than me) of the Leon Hall's of the world or the McFaddens....

I was thinking Rod Woodson when I was reading that......
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Pre-Injury Leon Hall was a helluva corner. I recall lots of speculation of the Steelers drafting him or Revis that year.

This may have no basis in fact, but I always look at CB as a position that you need to draft high to get a great one. I'm sure there are many good non-first-rounders out there, but it seems it's a good position to look at if you have a higher pick than you usually do.

Dennard is really good in run support as well, something that is always welcome in Pittsburgh.
    Run support isn't welcomed in Pittsburgh, it's demanded, if you are afraid to stick your nose in on a tackle, I'm pretty sure you'll be watching instead of playing.

Pappy

1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

Banned

Not just welcome, but mandatory. They rely on CBs to tackle backs in the flat, and if they can't, the D doesn't cut it. Richard Sherman is the exception to needing to draft them high. As is Mel Blount. Finding CBs who are 6-4 who can run and cut is excessively difficult.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    I like him. Another pick that wouldn't piss me off at #15...
    Probably better pick than any other of the possible defense options except for Gilbert or Mosley. I'd rate those three equally good picks.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    My point was that is what they said about Tye Hill and he was a huge liability as a tackler

I agree with you to a point, but if the scheme stands as it theres no point in taking one in the first...it could be beneficial if we are building for life after lebeau, but he may out live us all

To test your theory...off the top of my head:

Legit #1 CBs whether now or at some point in their career

Darrelle Revis
    Leon Hall
    Jonathan Joseph
    Antonio Cromartie
    Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie
    Pacman Jones
    Patrick Peterson
    Deangelo Hall
    Quentin Jammer
    Terrence Newman
    Nnamdi Asomugha

Servicable, yet unspectacular players or players with potential left

Antoine Cason
    Kareem Jackson
    Dre Kirkpatrick
    Mo Claiborne
    Vontae Davis
    Dunta Robinson
    Dee Milliner
    Prince Amukamara

Busts

Kyle Wilson
    Tye Hill
    Patrick Robinson

So off the top of my head I can name 3 flat out busts at Cbs in the first round...not as bad as I thought it would be
    IIRC, what got Tye Hill drafted in the first was his 40 time. As a collegiate corner, I certainly don't recall Hill coming with the credentials of a Dennard. I do see your Leon Hall comparison. I would like to throw in Revis into the discussion, just for discussion's sake. Because I don't really remember Revis as a collegiate, though I do remember lots of Steeler fans wanting him.

• Revis (though he seems very solidly built now), wasn't he similar sized to Dennard?
    • Did Revis blaze his 40? I'm guessing he just posted a solid, 4.4?
    • What potential do anyone see in projecting Dennard's potential as a "shutdown" corner? (It doesn't have to be "shutdown", but you know what I mean.)

My pick won't change...unless someone surprisingly drops to us at #15 (Such as Jordan Matthews)...and my cemented pick is Darqueze Dennard, CB; Michigan State.

He reminds me a lot of a former Steeler, but better...Keenan Lewis and a bit of Darrelle Revis too.
    Rara's very early 2015 NFL Mock Draft
    Round 1- Jalen Collins, CB; LSU
    Round 2- Eric Lefeld, OT; Cincinatti
    Round 3- Tyler Kroft, TE; Rutgers
    Round 4- Geneo Grissom, OLB; Oklahoma
    Round 5- Jonathon Mincy, CB; Auburn
    Round 6- Jamil Douglas, OG; Arizona State
    Round 7- Spencer Roth, P; Baylor

Quote Originally Posted by Rara View Post
    My pick won't change...unless someone surprisingly drops to us at #15 (Such as Jordan Matthews)...and my cemented pick is Darqueze Dennard, CB; Michigan State.

He reminds me a lot of a former Steeler, but better...Keenan Lewis and a bit of Darrelle Revis too.
    Rara makes a good point about the fact that we never know who may slide to 15 unexpectedly. I will say this Rara that if our first 4 picks are those in your mock I think that would be a grand slam for the black n gold!