Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Post your Steelers Big Board

Legend

User Info Menu

here are 10 players I would be happy with at #15, just need one of them to drop to us:

1. Sammy Watkins
    2. Khalil Mack
    3. Jadeveon Clowney
    4. Jake Matthews
    5. Greg Robinson
    6. Mike Evans
    7. Darqueze Dennard
    8. Justin Gilbert
    9. Anthony Barr
    10. Eric Ebron

in order to get one of these players I'm hoping that QBs Blake Bortles, Johnny Manziel, Teddy Bridgewater and Derek Carr, safeties Calvin Pryor and Ha Ha Clinton-Dix and DTs Timmy Jernigan and Aaron Donald get chosen by teams drafting ahead of us.

in addition, there are 5 more players I would be happy to draft in a trade-down scenario:

11. Louis Nix
    12. Kyle Fuller
    13. Kelvin Benjamin
    14. Rashede Hageman
    15. C J Mosely
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I find it rather funny that there are some who think Jadeveon Clowney could come in a fit in a defense that he has never played in at a position he has never played. I believe he would be bust as an 3-4 OLB.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    I find it rather funny that there are some who think Jadeveon Clowney could come in a fit in a defense that he has never played in at a position he has never played. I believe he would be bust as an 3-4 OLB.
    I think he's gonna be a bust as a 4-3 defensive end let alone OLB

Legend

User Info Menu

first of all, Clowney is never going to fall to #15 so it's a moot point.

but if he were there, I would be thrilled because there would undoubtedly be teams trying to trade up with the Steelers in order to get him and I would love for the Steelers to trade down if the players they covet are all gone.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    first of all, Clowney is never going to fall to #15 so it's a moot point.

but if he were there, I would be thrilled because there would undoubtedly be teams trying to trade up with the Steelers in order to get him and I would love for the Steelers to trade down if the players they covet are all gone.
    I believe we will look back on his NFL career and say he should have fallen to 15 or even further down.

Chew on this. Clowney's 3-cone drill was a very pedestrian 7.27. That means as freakishly athletic as every seems to think he is, the reality of that athleticism is he will be very limited in what he can do in the NFL on a football field. Lateral tightness is a weakness and Clowney has been able to get away with that in college. It will bring him back to earth some in the NFL.
    Last edited by Dee Dub; 03-29-2014 at 01:00 AM.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

I believe we will look back on his NFL career and say he should have fallen to 15 or even further down.

Chew on this. Clowney's 3-cone drill was a very pedestrian 7.27. That means as freakishly athletic as every seems to think he is, the reality of that athleticism is he will be very limited in what he can do in the NFL on a football field. Lateral tightness is a weakness and Clowney has been able to get away with that in college. It will bring him back to earth some in the NFL.
    Clowney's work ethic is what bothers me, how hard is he going to practice and play once he gets a big contract?

nevertheless, Clowney will be chosen in the Top 5 selections of this draft.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

1) Sammy Watkins
    2) Khalil Mack
    3) Jadeveon Clowney
    4) Jake Matthews
    5) Greg Robinson
    6) Anthony Barr
    7) Justin Gilbert
    8.) Darqueze Dennard
    9) CJ Mosley
    10) Mike Evans
    11) Ra'Shede Hageman
    12) Marqise Lee
    13) HaHa Clinton Dix
    14) Louis Nix
    15) Kelvin Benjamin
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Does anybody remember Keith McCants or Aundray Bruce?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

My Big Board for Steelers:
    1. Greg Robinson
    2. Khalil Mack
    3. Jake Matthews
    4. Darqueze Dennard
    5. Mike Evans
    6. Anthony Barr
    7. Justin Gilbert
    8. Jadeveon Clowney
    9. Eric Ebron
    10.Sammy Watkins
    11.Kyle Fuller
    12.Ra'Shede Hageman
    13.Kelvin Benjamin
    14.C J Mosley
    15.Louis Nix
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Chew on this. Clowney's 3-cone drill was a very pedestrian 7.27. That means as freakishly athletic as every seems to think he is, the reality of that athleticism is he will be very limited in what he can do in the NFL on a football field. Lateral tightness is a weakness and Clownery has been able to get away with that in college. It will bring him back to earth some in the NFL.

Clownery playing 3-4 OLB in the Pros is an educated projection...So is every player projection coming out of college. What I will say is if I was a 4-3 team...I would value him more with his hand on the ground because of what he did in college. A 3-4 team will have more questions with his projection-fit...But the football player shows up first. Personally...I would be more hesitant on taking him high because of work ethic...Not projection or fit. College to Pros is a difficult projection no matter what. If it was an easy science...The "bust" rate of 1st rounder would be minimal. "Football is 80% mental...40% physical". The further you go up the football ladder...The truer that gets. That mental part includes work ethic along with many other things. THAT is what can't be measure in any drills.

In response to your "I find it rather funny that there are some who think Jadeveon Clownery could come in a fit in a defense that he has never played in at a position he has never played." That happens all the time. Years ago...Finding a 3-4 OLB coming out of college who played in that system was VERY difficult. The NFL teams still found 3-4 OLBs. Not doing it in a college system doesn't mean can't do it. Just go back through the list of Steeler 3-4 OLBs & see where they came from in college.

There are players that come in the NFL who played in a similar system in college but struggle in the NFL. System to system isn't the answer to projection. It is hard to project a collegiate player to NFL...period. College system to Pros could shed some light but it is no definitive answer. Your guy from last year is a perfect example. "Pencil him in as a Day 1 starter...Played in a 3-4 system." You were on the other side of the fence last year Dub. You said JJ's tape tells the only tale. Terrible work outs. FYI...Jone's 3 cone was 7.46. We found out JJ has work to do to get himself where he could play at a high level. So we see examples of both sides of the argument all the time.

The Steelers have no chance to get Clownery. But if the Steelers were in position to...They would do extensive work on him. Their interviews would shed light on his commitment to play 3-4 OLB or 4-3 DE. If they were happy with his work ethic as it relates to the NFL...They would have him doing private workouts in positional drills & seeing if he has the ability to play 3-4 OLB at the next level. If they found Clownery had the ability to be a 3-4 OLB at the next level....And he was committed to becoming WHATEVER player a team needed him to fit into...He would be on the Steelers board. He would be there because of the football player. 3-4 teams in reach of him aren't taking him off their board because he played 4-3 DE in college. IF they have him off their board it is because the don't think he could play OLB, he didn't sound committed in the interview process of playing OLB, or work ethic. Saying that...Because of the "football player" he is & where he will likely go....They won't use too much resources on him. Unless something surfaces from now until draft...He won't suffer a Jarvis Jones drop because of "football questions" about him.
    Last edited by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY; 03-31-2014 at 12:08 PM.