9. Barr
    10. Ebron
    11. Hageman
    12. Mosley
    13. Nix
    14. Benjamin
    15. Clinton-Dix

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post

Clownery playing 3-4 OLB in the Pros is an educated projection...So is every player projection coming out of college. What I will say is if I was a 4-3 team...I would value him more with his hand on the ground because of what he did in college. A 3-4 team will have more questions with his projection-fit...But the football player shows up first. Personally...I would be more hesitant on taking him high because of work ethic...Not projection or fit. College to Pros is a difficult projection no matter what. If it was an easy science...The "bust" rate of 1st rounder would be minimal. "Football is 80% mental...40% physical". The further you go up the football ladder...The truer that gets. That mental part includes work ethic along with many other things. THAT is what can't be measure in any drills.

In response to your "I find it rather funny that there are some who think Jadeveon Clownery could come in a fit in a defense that he has never played in at a position he has never played." That happens all the time. Years ago...Finding a 3-4 OLB coming out of college who played in that system was VERY difficult. The NFL teams still found 3-4 OLBs. Not doing it in a college system doesn't mean can't do it. Just go back through the list of Steeler 3-4 OLBs & see where they came from in college.

There are players that come in the NFL who played in a similar system in college but struggle in the NFL. System to system isn't the answer to projection. It is hard to project a collegiate player to NFL...period. College system to Pros could shed some light but it is no definitive answer. Your guy from last year is a perfect example. "Pencil him in as a Day 1 starter...Played in a 3-4 system." You were on the other side of the fence last year Dub. You said JJ's tape tells the only tale. Terrible work outs. FYI...Jone's 3 cone was 7.46. We found out JJ has work to do to get himself where he could play at a high level. So we see examples of both sides of the argument all the time.

The Steelers have no chance to get Clownery. But if the Steelers were in position to...They would do extensive work on him. Their interviews would shed light on his commitment to play 3-4 OLB or 4-3 DE. If they were happy with his work ethic as it relates to the NFL...They would have him doing private workouts in positional drills & seeing if he has the ability to play 3-4 OLB at the next level. If they found Clownery had the ability to be a 3-4 OLB at the next level....And he was committed to becoming WHATEVER player a team needed him to fit into...He would be on the Steelers board. He would be there because of the football player. 3-4 teams in reach of him aren't taking him off their board because he played 4-3 DE in college. IF they have him off their board it is because the don't think he could play OLB, he didn't sound committed in the interview process of playing OLB, or work ethic. Saying that...Because of the "football player" he is & where he will likely go....They won't use too much resources on him. Unless something surfaces from now until draft...He won't suffer a Jarvis Jones drop because of "football questions" about him.
    Wow...you are usually better than this. This here above is about as lame as it gets.

Show me one Steeler draft pick who played as a 4-3 DE who ever came in and made the transition
    to 3-4 OLB from day one. The Steelers have had some very good 3-4 zone blitz LB's who played 4-3 DE in college (Kevin Greene, Joey Porter, Jason Gildon, LaMarr Woodley, etc.), and they all took time. Not day one.

In your effort to make me look bad about Jarvis Jones, you missed my whole point. Regardless of his struggle in year one, he goes down as the most successful year 1, 3-4 OLB in the history of the Pittsburgh Steelers. And despite "his" poor work outs, having played in a similar system in college, it helped "him" overrcome his deficiencies. And I personally believe, had he been given the job from day and they stayed with him all year, by week 12-16, you would have something to really get excited about.

Further to you not getting the point, you missed my point on Clowney as well.

Clowney actually blew the doors off of most of his work outs. Epecially the 40 yard dash and his verticle. He is extemerly quick and explosive. But he has never been asked to drop into coverage, read and react, stack and shed from a stand up point, or to ever hold contain off the edge. He's been asked to do the opposite. Explode immediately forward on nearly ever play. His sub-par 3-cone, and the stiffness in his laterall movement are reasons why I believe he would be a bust in a 3-4 zone blitz. A defense that requires constraints in the system . Then you factor in that he has never played the position, this type of defensive sheme, his poor work ethic, then I think my point becomes a whole lot different than the one I had about Jarvis Jones. See the difference?

And one last thing, the title of this thread is....

Post your Steelers Big Board
    Post your big board...top 15, strictly talking for the Steelers.

This is about what I would do, not the Steelers. But....to think the Steelers would always do their extensive work on a player and reveal a players committment from interviews, is forgetting all the players they have missed on. Recently, one LaMarr Woodley. A player who did well for a time being but his off field lack of dedication, work ethic, and him not being committed to "WHATEVER " player a team needed him to fit into, shows they arent always good at that whole process.

I dont believe that Clowney will fall in this draft. And a Jarvis Jones type of fall for Clowney will be avoided not so much because of work outs, scheme fit, or even work ethic. Unlike Jarvis Jones, he plays DE in a 4-3. There are 13 teams that run a 4-3 defense that pick between 1-15. In last years draft, Jarvis Jones went at number 17. Of those 17 teams, 9 teams used a 3-4, and 8 used a 4-3. For Jarvis Jones, his medical concern, and workouts, were reason for his drop, but this also played into why he dropped. And no one has ever question Jarvis Jones work ethic.

I guess it's even the offseaon for you too JPN.

You are better than this.

Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Strong! As in....

1-Jaelen Strong WR Arizona State

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Wow...you are usually better than this. This here above is about as lame as it gets.

Show me one Steeler draft pick who played as a 4-3 DE who ever came in and made the transition
    to 3-4 OLB from day one. The Steelers have had some very good 3-4 zone blitz LB's who played 4-3 DE in college (Kevin Greene, Joey Porter, Jason Gildon, LaMarr Woodley, etc.), and they all took time. Not day one.

In your effort to make me look bad about Jarvis Jones, you missed my whole point. Regardless of his struggle in year one, he goes down as the most successful year 1, 3-4 OLB in the history of the Pittsburgh Steelers. And despite "his" poor work outs, having played in a similar system in college, it helped "him" overrcome his deficiencies. And I personally believe, had he been given the job from day and they stayed with him all year, by week 12-16, you would have something to really get excited about.

Further to you not getting the point, you missed my point on Clowney as well.

Clowney actually blew the doors off of most of his work outs. Epecially the 40 yard dash and his verticle. He is extemerly quick and explosive. But he has never been asked to drop into coverage, read and react, stack and shed from a stand up point, or to ever hold contain off the edge. He's been asked to do the opposite. Explode immediately forward on nearly ever play. His sub-par 3-cone, and the stiffness in his laterall movement are reasons why I believe he would be a bust in a 3-4 zone blitz. A defense that requires constraints in the system . Then you factor in that he has never played the position, this type of defensive sheme, his poor work ethic, then I think my point becomes a whole lot different than the one I had about Jarvis Jones. See the difference?

And one last thing, the title of this thread is....

Post your Steelers Big Board
    Post your big board...top 15, strictly talking for the Steelers.

This is about what I would do, not the Steelers. But....to think the Steelers would always do their extensive work on a player and reveal a players committment from interviews, is forgetting all the players they have missed on. Recently, one LaMarr Woodley. A player who did well for a time being but his off field lack of dedication, work ethic, and him not being committed to "WHATEVER " player a team needed him to fit into, shows they arent always good at that whole process.

I dont believe that Clowney will fall in this draft. And a Jarvis Jones type of fall for Clowney will be avoided not so much because of work outs, scheme fit, or even work ethic. Unlike Jarvis Jones, he plays DE in a 4-3. There are 13 teams that run a 4-3 defense that pick between 1-15. In last years draft, Jarvis Jones went at number 17. Of those 17 teams, 9 teams used a 3-4, and 8 used a 4-3. For Jarvis Jones, his medical concern, and workouts, were reason for his drop, but this also played into why he dropped. And no one has ever question Jarvis Jones work ethic.

I guess it's even the offseaon for you too JPN.

You are better than this.

Really Dub??? #1...There was nothing in here trying to make you look bad. Your conscience bothering you or something? I was making a point & what you said about Jones last year was a great example. Get off your soap box before I knock you off it. You just spent allot of time typing to the point I was trying to make, Comprehension struggles again! I SAID the Steelers OLB came out of college as DE & made the transition. Very successful players. Never said Day 1! The point was players who even play 3-4 OLB in college struggle with the NFL transition. Example...Jones.

While you ran off at the mouth you skipped over where I said "Personally...I would be more hesitant on taking him high because of work ethic...Not projection or fit." If you can't see the print when you jump up on your soap box...Stay in your chair.

"I find it rather funny that there are some who think Jadeveon Clowney could come in a fit in a defense that he has never played in at a position he has never played. I believe he would be bust as an 3-4 OLB."

That was you Dub! You just typed 300 words contradicting that statement.

I have been a supporter the second Jones was picked even though I never wanted him & will continue to do so. He's old news & he is a Steeler. So don't make me get into what you said about JJ last year & how it to relates to what you are posting about Clowney this year. I will leave it at that. That's up to you where you want to go. I sure both of us can find a better way to utilize our time.

I stay in game shape all year long...I feed in the offseason! Apparently your mind gets hazy in the offseason. Don't ever tell me "You are better than this" when you can't recall what you said in the past.

Kiper Jr., McShay talk Steelers' draft

April, 2, 2014
    By Scott Brown | ESPN.com

ESPN draft analysts Mel Kiper Jr. and Todd McShay talked in-depth about the Steelers' draft earlier this week, and the two agree that cornerback is probably the team's biggest need.

But McShay isn't as enthused as Kiper is about the Steelers taking one with the 15th overall pick of the draft.

McShay said he is not sure there is a cornerback worth taking that high even if players such as Oklahoma State's Justin Gilbert and Michigan State's Darqueze Dennard are available.

“I think I would probably go wide receiver or offensive line in the first round depending on what's available and then maybe coming back cornerback in Round 2,” McShay said on ESPN's First Draft podcast.

Kiper and McShay agree that the Steelers have to focus on defense in this draft with the former saying that defensive line joins cornerback as the team's most pressing need. McShay offered more pointed comments about what the Steelers are facing as they re-tool their defense.

“They've had to get younger fast,” McShay said. “I thought for awhile they were doing that effectively but it hasn't worked out. I do think they are getting younger. I think they have to continue to get faster and more athletic in the back end and I think they know that.”

One of the biggest keys for the Steelers' defense this season is outside linebacker Jarvis Jones taking a huge step after he struggled as a rookie.

Jones, the Steelers' first-round pick last year, started eight games in 2013 but managed just one sack. The former Georgia star played better later in the season as he started thinking less on the field, but Jones needs to add strength as well as more pass-rushing moves during the offseason.

The development of secomd-year players such as Jones, safety Shamarko Thomas and inside linebacker Vince Williams is critical since the Steelers don't like to rely too much on rookies -- something they had to do at a couple of positions last season out of necessity.

“Dick LeBeau's defense takes time to understand it and apply what you know to the field,” Kiper said.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/pos...steelers-draft

a great updated Steelers' Big Board from Behind The Steel Curtain:

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...-list-steelers

Really Dub??? #1...There was nothing in here trying to make you look bad. Your conscience bothering you or something? I was making a point & what you said about Jones last year was a great example. Get off your soap box before I knock you off it. You just spent allot of time typing to the point I was trying to make, Comprehension struggles again! I SAID the Steelers OLB came out of college as DE & made the transition. Very successful players. Never said Day 1! The point was players who even play 3-4 OLB in college struggle with the NFL transition. Example...Jones.

While you ran off at the mouth you skipped over where I said "Personally...I would be more hesitant on taking him high because of work ethic...Not projection or fit." If you can't see the print when you jump up on your soap box...Stay in your chair.

"I find it rather funny that there are some who think Jadeveon Clowney could come in a fit in a defense that he has never played in at a position he has never played. I believe he would be bust as an 3-4 OLB."

That was you Dub! You just typed 300 words contradicting that statement.

I have been a supporter the second Jones was picked even though I never wanted him & will continue to do so. He's old news & he is a Steeler. So don't make me get into what you said about JJ last year & how it to relates to what you are posting about Clowney this year. I will leave it at that. That's up to you where you want to go. I sure both of us can find a better way to utilize our time.

I stay in game shape all year long...I feed in the offseason! Apparently your mind gets hazy in the offseason. Don't ever tell me "You are better than this" when you can't recall what you said in the past.
    Dee Dub's check list: Complete. Mission accomplished. Strike a nerve. Rent space in JPN's head to the point where he gets bent out of shape. Nice.

For being in shape all year long and feeding in the off-season, you just got owned. Maybe you should change your diet?

Lighten up Francis.

Just so you know, most 4-3 DE's in college don't make the transition to 3-4 OLB in the NFL. More fail than make it. It takes as special one. You said it happens all the time now.

Where?

http://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/positions/lb

Not a lot there. In the past 10 years, only a few (Aldon Smith, Brian Orakpo, Clay Matthews, Ryan Kerrigan, Kamerion Wimbley, DeMarcus Ware, and Shawne Merriman), have had immediate impacts. That’s only 8 in a ten year span. And really, there’s only a handful more made the transition, yet took a span of 1-3 years to do. (J.J. Watt, LaMarr Woodey, Anthony Spencer, Sam Acho, Jason Worilds)

Hall of Famer
    Dee Dub's check list: Complete. Mission accomplished. Strike a nerve. Rent space in JPN's head to the point where he gets bent out of shape. Nice.

For being in shape all year long and feeding in the off-season, you just got owned. Maybe you should change your diet?

Lighten up Francis.

Just so you know, most 4-3 DE's in college don't make the transition to 3-4 OLB in the NFL. More fail than make it. It takes as special one. You said it happens all the time now.

Where?
    http://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/positions/lb

Not a lot there. In the past 10 years, only a few (Aldon Smith, Brian Orakpo, Clay Matthews, Ryan Kerrigan, Kamerion Wimbley, DeMarcus Ware, and Shawne Merriman), have had immediate impacts. That’s only 8 in a ten year span. And really, there’s only a handful more made the transition, yet took a span of 1-3 years to do. (J.J. Watt, LaMarr Woodey, Anthony Spencer, Sam Acho, Jason Worilds)
    Didn't get owned by you & never will.

And again...Never said anything about "immediate". The Steelers have a pretty impressive list of OLB who played De in college. Stick around...You might learn something.

Didn't get owned by you & never will.

Again, lighten up Frances. I'm just playing with you.

And again...Never said anything about "immediate". The Steelers have a pretty impressive list of OLB who played De in college. Stick around...You might learn something.
    Name them. That list of successful ones, is only a handful. Remember, the Steelers have run this 3-4 defense for over 20 years.

Hall of Famer
    Again, lighten up Frances. I'm just playing with you.

Name them. That list of successful ones, is only a handful. Remember, the Steelers have run this 3-4 defense for over 20 years.

Sorry Spanky...I couldn't hear you from up here.

Add in the fact that the Steelers were one of a few who ran the 3-4 years back. That was part of the problem for years drafting trying to find a pass rushing LB. The traditional 4-3 Sam & Wil backer weren't know for pass rush abilities. 3-4 has become more popular today even in the college ranks. Worilds, Woodley, Gildon, Haggans, Porter, & Vrabel over that span came out of college as DEs. I think that is 4 out of the Top 10 sack leaders for the Steelers.