Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Reluctant Steelers Team Might Find Itself On Reality TV

Legend

User Info Menu

A Reluctant Steelers Team Might Find Itself On Reality TV

PITTSBURGH, PA (KDKA) — Fans could get a bit more personal with their hometown Steelers as players could now be forced to be featured on HBO’s show “Hard Knocks.”

However, it seems as if no one in the organization is willing to participate in the show.

In the NFL Owners’ meeting in Orlando, owners could say that the Steelers must be a part of the reality TV show, “Hard Knocks.” The show is one that shows a team’s day-to-day activities on and off the field. Because the team has absolutely no say in the matter, the Steelers may have to bow down and do the show.

There are also two key qualifications that the Steelers need to have in order to be featured on the show. One qualification is that the Steelers have to have missed the playoffs in the last two consecutive years and they also have to have had the same coach for the same amount of time, both of which the Steelers have.

Steelers Head Coach Mike Tomlin is not a fan of the show or any reality show for that manner and does not want to participate at all.

“It is a joke and just because it happens to be popular, doesn’t mean I have to participate,” said Tomlin.

Tomlin also says that not only is it a joke, but it is a distraction to what his team is trying to do this coming season.

“I think you know, that time of year in terms of team development, there are a lot of complex things going on as it is,” he said. “It has many layers to it and to add to it, is not conducive to what we go there to do from my perspective.”

However, the Steelers are not the first Pittsburgh team to be on “Hard Knocks.” The Penguins were also in the show as well.

Steelers General Manager, Kevin Colbert, says that he was a fan of the Penguins show as a fan of hockey. But with his team, he sees it as a distraction.

“When you’re in the management side of it, how do you manage the extra distractions, I think is the thing you have to look at,” he said. “But if we’re picked, we’re picked, we have no choice.”

For now, the Steelers will have to wait for an answer as a decision will not be set for several weeks.

[url]http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2014/03/24/a-reluctant-steelers-team-might-find-itself-on-reality-tv/[/url]
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Legend

User Info Menu

As a die hard fan I'd love to watch them on Hard Knocks, but if its even a slight distraction I'd prefer they pick another team.
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

One positive that could come out of it.. Ben could use some good PR to overcome his tainted past in the eyes of some.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Bens best PR would come in the form of winning #7
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I really hope that they aren't picked. If Tomlin doesn't want them on, then I don't want them on. The head coach should have say in this kind of thing, IMO.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I cant imagine too many teams that would like to have a bunch of cameras around except maybe the Cowboys
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Discipline of Steel View Post
    I cant imagine too many teams that would like to have a bunch of cameras around except maybe the Cowboys
    Holy sh!t , so true...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I know it's ridiculous and contrived - but I must admit I enjoy watching the show and wish the steelers would do it. However, they must be willing participants and if they aren't - then they shouldn't be forced to do it.

Tomlin says the show is a joke. Well, he's right to a large extent. But what Tomlin forgets is that at a basic level, the NFL is there for the entertainment of the fans. something that increases that entertainment is a probably viewed by many as a good thing. you know, when tomlin gets dressed for the games - he goes to his locker and puts on the ensemble left there for him by the official outfitter of the NFL. Teams don't have throwback/alternative uniforms games just for the hell of it. they are promoting and selling a product and they are doing so in a fashion that tries to have fans more involved. I think hard knocks is simply more of the same.

still, tomlin thinks the show is a joke.

that certainly explains the bungles eagerness to do it twice...........
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Backup

User Info Menu

simple solution..don't miss the playoff's..

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blitz71burgh71 View Post
    simple solution..don't miss the playoff's..
    This, however, I hope they aren't forced to do it. Why would the NFL force a team to do it, when there are teams that appear to be willing and enjoy the moment? IMO, if your heart isn't in it then it will be boring and really contrived. Tomlin's against it, so the NFL should consider his wishes and find other teams that actually want to be part of it.

pappy
    Last edited by papillon; 03-25-2014 at 08:19 AM.

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount