Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tomlin: Steelers must add depth at RB

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I wanted Blount in the draft (late), I wanted him when TN cut him, I wanted him after TB....Could have had him for real cheap in any of those instances. He's not a super star but he can get the job done, especially as a back up to bell.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    I'm OK with Blount, because he still appears to have tread on his tires for spot duty and he should come cheap. He doesn't seem to add much in terms of change-of-pace with Bell, who both lack that home-run potential. D@mn that loser Rainey--if he could stop hitting women, he'd be a nice change-of-pace.
    Both Bell and Blount can knock off 60 yard runs, and also get 3-8 all day. That's good enough to win games.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I would like to sign Blount, Moats and Keisel. I'd be pretty satisfied just to get Blount and Moats! Fill rest of needs in the draft and getting UDFAs after the draft.
    2022 NFL Mock Draft
    -------------------------------------------
    1. Malik Willis, QB; Liberty
    2. Daniel Faalele, OT; Minnesota
    3. Dante Stills, DT; West Virginia
    7. Riley Moss, CB; Iowa

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Blount would be our short yardage back and keep our superstar Bell from taking too much of a beating
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I am not sweating our RB situation. Here are some of the backs still out there, if my site is recently updated.

- Blount. Already discussed. He should be valued more than he is. When he sucker punched that kid in college, I didn't think it was that big a deal; it showed me he had a passion to win and losing made him ticked off and I liked that. I wasn't crazy in his uncontrollable aftermath, but I always thought he'd make a good Steeler back.

- Andre Brown. Oft injured, but can play well when he is healthy. Only the Raiders seem interested.

- Knowshon. Wouldn't want him as the starter, but he is more than capable as a back up.

- Mike Bush. See above.

- MJD. Will cost more than Rooneys will spend. Already seen that as reality.

- Felix Jones. I don't know why no one is talking about him. He didn't end up being worthy of a first round pick as Dallas made, but that doesn't mean he is junk. I like him as a back up. He is even decent as a kick returner. Why not bring him back for a low cost guy who already knows our system?

- Stephen-Howlings. In my opinion, he will never hold up to NFL tackles. But I'd be fine with giving him another shot and seeing if I am wrong. If healthy, he is an effective change-of-pace back.

Le'Ron McClain. He is sort of a FB/HB hybrid, but I like him. He always ran hard against us.

If they sign no FA, lots of good backs that can be taken late in the draft.

- Lache Seastrunk, Baylor. Short, compact, great body control. 4.5 speed. Might last until the 4th, which may be too early for Pgh to take a back. But I'd like the guy as a change-of-pace guy. Setting him off after Bell wears down a D could be special.

- Terrance West. Reminds me a little of Barry Bananas Foster. Short but built like a brick house. Not overly fast or quick, but powerful. Might not be the sharpest tool in the shed. But if he is all in, could fit.

- Andre Williams. A beast of a man. He is a mauler with power, but not likely to make much of a 3rd down back, as he has virtually no experience in catching the ball. Had zero catches last year. But at 5-11, 235 he could be a battering ram, if they thought they needed that type of back on the roster. But has injury history, although if his touches were reduced to 10 a game, he might hold up better than he did at Boston, who ran his legs off.

- Marion Grice. Think of Jamal Charles. This guy is a TD machine - very lean and quick. Can be got late. Now this is a guy I would be excited about. With Bell and Grice, we would run teams ragged.

Legend

User Info Menu

LaDarius Perkins, RB, Miss State; 5'7", 195. 4.46; wouldn't be surprised if this kid is eventually a starter in the NFL...

[URL]http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/ladarius-perkins?id=2543822[/URL]
    Draft Projection

Rounds 6-7 Bottom Line

Undersized, competitive, change-of-pace back who was bothered by an ankle injury as a senior, but offers enough of a balanced skill set, including good acceleration, to be a better pro than college player. Evaluators would benefit to revisit junior tape for best indication of his ability.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Early April Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama
    2.51 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.84 -Sedrick Van Pran-Granger, C, Georgia
    3.98 -<tbd>
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    Blount would be our short yardage back and keep our superstar Bell from taking too much of a beating
    I hope he becomes a superstar at some point.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    I hope he becomes a superstar at some point.
    Superstar in-waiting perhaps? Superstar-elect?

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers likely to have deal with experienced running back by the end of the week

By Jack Finn on Mar 25 2014

Alan Robinson of the Pittsbirgh Tribune-Review tweeted today that he believes the Steelers are likely to have a deal with an experienced running back by the end of the week. They have had multiple visits with Maurice Jones-Drew, and have a meeting scheduled for Friday with Legarrette Blount.

Alan Robinson of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review tweeted today that the Steelers will likely sign an experienced running back from the free agency pool by the end of the week.

Either Robinson is taking an educated guess based on the Steelers needs, or more likely he knows something some of us don't.

The Steelers have had multiple visits with former Jacksonville Jaguars running back, and former NFL rushing leader Maurice Jones-Drew, but he was reportedly asking for somewhere in the region of $3.5 million per year, too much for the cash strapped Steelers.

The Steelers also have a meeting with Legarrette Blount on the books, scheduled for Friday after the conclusion of the NFL owners meeting. Robinson could be referring to this meeting in particular , because Friday is the end of the week isn't it?

Knoshown Moreno, formerly of the Broncos, could also be somewhat of a wildcard as one of the few remaining veteran running backs on the market, however there has been nothing connecting him to the Steelers thus far.

Neal Coolong writes that Blount's meeting on Friday may have been the Steelers trying to send a message to their number one target, MJD, and that Blount is just a back-up option. In addition, Jones-Drew's asking price has reportedly been lowered from the original $3.5 million, presumably because he discovered there wasn't a great market for a 28 year old running back's services.

Whichever way it works out, expect a conclusion to the saga of the back up running back by "the end of the week", that is if Mr Robinson is correct.

[URL]http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2014/3/25/5545586/steelers-likely-to-have-deal-with-expereinced-running-back-by-the-end[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Blount, Blount, Blount. 3 years later than I wanted but better late than never.