Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tomlin: Steelers must add depth at RB

Legend

User Info Menu

Tomlin: Steelers must add depth at RB

With a dearth of running back depth behind Le'Veon Bell, the Pittsburgh Steelers have been pecking around the veteran free-agent pool.

The Steelers brought in Maurice Jones-Drew last week and general manager Kevin Colbert confirmed the team will meet with running back LeGarrette Blount on Friday.

"We need to add quality depth to that position," coach Mike Tomlin said Sunday at the NFL Annual Meeting, per the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "Le'Veon Bell is talented player but also a young player."

Tomlin added he "felt good" about last week's meeting with MJD and are open to the possibility of signing him.

On the latest edition of the Around The League Podcast we discussed the probable destinations of the free agent running back group. Blount makes sense as a short-yardage pounding back in the Steelers' mold and a solid backup to Bell.

Some other notes from Tomlin and Colbert's meeting with the local media:

» Colbert said the team was aware of James Harrison's interest in returning to Pittsburgh, but the team will evaluate the market before making any decisions.

"Never going to close the door on any possibility, especially with a guy who was huge part of our success," the GM said.

» On signing veteran receiver Lance Moore: "Very smart, experienced receiver. There's still some good football left in Lance Moore," Colbert said.

» Tomlin on the Steelers free-agent signings: "We've had some positive developments. Guys like Mike Mitchell and Cam Thomas are important to us."

Colbert added that Thomas was signed as defensive end but could see time at nose tackle.

» Colbert on trading back in the first round of the 2014 NFL Draft: "It makes more sense in this draft than trading up. I'm sure everyone shares same thought."

[url]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000336198/article/mike-tomlin-pittsburgh-steelers-must-add-rb-depth[/url]
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Legend

User Info Menu

It wouldn't surprise me to see James Harrison sign post June 1. Other than that, I would prefer blount if given a choice.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Me too Ernie...and definately Blount. Throw in Kiesel as well and Im good on free agents.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Discipline of Steel View Post
    Me too Ernie...and definately Blount. Throw in Kiesel as well and Im good on free agents.
    Yep.. Kiesel, Harrison, Blount...

and let's go to the draft!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

I sort of hope they forego signing Blount. Re-sign LSH and maybe another low-priced FA, and draft a back to work into the rotation.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    I sort of hope they forego signing Blount. Re-sign LSH and maybe another low-priced FA, and draft a back to work into the rotation.
    If we had adequate depth on the roster, I'd be open to that idea. LSH is coming off of a season ending injury... so it's not like he'll be coming into camp with a full head of steam.

If we had kept Dwyer, I'd be behind you 100%

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    Yep.. Kiesel, Harrison, Blount...

and let's go to the draft!!!
    Yep, those are the three I would like to see the Steelers sign.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

So who will the four backs be? Bellcow...FA...LSH...Rook...Redman??!! WE NEED A FA RB!
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'm OK with Blount, because he still appears to have tread on his tires for spot duty and he should come cheap. He doesn't seem to add much in terms of change-of-pace with Bell, who both lack that home-run potential. D@mn that loser Rainey--if he could stop hitting women, he'd be a nice change-of-pace.

Legend

User Info Menu

We need a "Mewelde Moore". A cheap vet who can do it all well, but, nothing great. I'd pretty much get Knowshon, though MJD does fit that mold as well
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Early April Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama
    2.51 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.84 -Sedrick Van Pran-Granger, C, Georgia
    3.98 -<tbd>
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington