Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Analyzing Steelers' Off-Season Moves So Far

This is by far the best year the Steelers have had signing FAs before the draft in a while. Mitchell has me optimistic from what I have seen. A good athlete and intelligent. Seems to be on the rise. I love the LeGarrette Blount signing. Running game, here we go. They got him so cheap. I wonder if the stigma of throwing a punch in college still follows him. Moore seems solid and steady. They have to go secondary high in the draft. Ike coming back for cheap is fine but that does not solve the secondary problems. Maybe a DL or WR. A couple in this group have to come on strong; Wheaton, Moye, Fangupo, Arnfeldt or Williams, (Nick and Vince)
    Last edited by Steelerphile; 03-31-2014 at 09:42 PM.

As usual, the Steelers have put themselves in a good spot going into the draft. Cam Thomas, Lance, Blount, and Moats all have their strengths. They may not be All Pros but they can collectively diminish the impact of those we were not able to retain. With this being a deep draft, we can get some nice picks to maybe contribute right away or give valuable depth.

A couple concerns:

1) WR - Brown, Moore, and possibly Wheaton make for a small group of wideouts. This may be addressed in the draft.

2) ILB - Timmons is solid, and I like Vince but most do not. He's not a 3 down backer though. CJ Mosely is good in coverage but lacks some bulk and has an injury history. IIRC its a dislocated elbow and hip, not normal recurring injuries but I'm no Doc, and if they felt comfortable with JJ's spinal stenosis, I would bet they'll do their homework on Mosely to see what is the risk.

3) CB - Cortez Allen and Ike will most certainly start the beginning of the year. This definitely needs to be addressed in the draft and two picks should be on tap imo. If Gilbert or Dennard are gone, I don't feel the second round holds good value for any of the remaining CBs. Kyle Fuller will most surely be gone. This could be one of the biggest areas of need.

4) S - What if one year wonder Mike Mitchell doesn't pan out? They still need to draft a FS for back-up. Golden may arrive but better safe than sorry. I have confidence that Shark will be a good SS. Love that guy.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

Hall of Famer
    We still have at least one more free agent signing to go...Brett Kiesel is pretty much a must have at this point, even if McClendon slides over to DE.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Quote Originally Posted by Discipline of Steel View Post
    We still have at least one more free agent signing to go...Brett Kiesel is pretty much a must have at this point, even if McClendon slides over to DE.
    I agree, re-sign 99!

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by thor75 View Post
    As usual, the Steelers have put themselves in a good spot going into the draft. Cam Thomas, Lance, Blount, and Moats all have their strengths. They may not be All Pros but they can collectively diminish the impact of those we were not able to retain. With this being a deep draft, we can get some nice picks to maybe contribute right away or give valuable depth.

A couple concerns:

1) WR - Brown, Moore, and possibly Wheaton make for a small group of wideouts. This may be addressed in the draft.

2) ILB - Timmons is solid, and I like Vince but most do not. He's not a 3 down backer though. CJ Mosely is good in coverage but lacks some bulk and has an injury history. IIRC its a dislocated elbow and hip, not normal recurring injuries but I'm no Doc, and if they felt comfortable with JJ's spinal stenosis, I would bet they'll do their homework on Mosely to see what is the risk.

3) CB - Cortez Allen and Ike will most certainly start the beginning of the year. This definitely needs to be addressed in the draft and two picks should be on tap imo. If Gilbert or Dennard are gone, I don't feel the second round holds good value for any of the remaining CBs. Kyle Fuller will most surely be gone. This could be one of the biggest areas of need.

4) S - What if one year wonder Mike Mitchell doesn't pan out? They still need to draft a FS for back-up. Golden may arrive but better safe than sorry. I have confidence that Shark will be a good SS. Love that guy.
    If Mitchell gets injured or doesn't produce, Will Allen is more than capable than stepping in and filling the void as we have seen in the past. I think FS is set for a while.

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    I agree, re-sign 99!

With the 8 million freed up after June 1... I look for the FO to re-sign Keisel and JH. I would almost bet they've told each of them to stay in shape...and get ready for camp.

After June 1st we'll get some money free from LW contract so I would think at that time depending on what we don't get in the draft we'll add a veteran.

Kiesel said he won't play for vet minimum so scratch that and JH is done he wasn't good his last year here with the injuries along with that plus a year older. I don't think those two are in the plans, from the reports they won't even return Kiesel calls.

The team is trying to get younger and faster, the last two years should tell you that.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelhere10 View Post
    Kiesel said he won't play for vet minimum so scratch that and JH is done he wasn't good his last year here with the injuries along with that plus a year older. I don't think those two are in the plans, from the reports they won't even return Kiesel calls.
    Harrison did pretty well his last year in Pittsburgh after he got healthy. He actually did pretty well despite the misfit for him in Cincy as well. The guy can still stuff the run about as good as anyone. He knows the system and I see no reason why couldn't be expected to be a solid contributor as long as he understands that he isn't coming in to start (sans injury).