Thread: Tomlin's Twist to Extra Point Debate

Tomlin's Twist to Extra Point Debate

The Patriots have proposed a rule in which extra-point attempts would be snapped from the 25-yard line.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin, who is a member of the NFL competition committee, is in favor of moving up the line of scrimmage for extra-point attempts to add some strategy after a touchdown has been scored.

"His idea would be to move the line of scrimmage to the 1-yard line and that would cause people to think harder about going for 2 more often which I think would actually be a better change than moving it back to the (25-yard line)," Steelers president Art Rooney II told Steelers.com LIVE recently.

Making the point after touchdown less than automatic has been a topic of debate but Rooney doesn't expect any movement on the issue at the NFL owners' meetings, which start Monday in Orlando, Fla.

"I don't think there's consensus around this at this point so I'll be a little surprised if there's a rule change," Rooney said, "but I think there will be some discussion about it."

Expanding the playoffs from 12 to 14 teams also isn't part of the agenda in Orlando, but it is another topic that will generate plenty of discussion.

Rooney said the Steelers "have an open mind" toward changing the current format. But, he added, the Steelers are against seeding teams based on records and eliminating division winners getting higher seeds over wild-card teams.

As for expanding the playoffs, Rooney said the Steelers are comfortable with it as long as it doesn't entail adding more than two teams.

"Going beyond that." he said, "I think you'd have to ask the question of are we going too far."

http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-s...a-point-debate

Hall of Famer
    They should think of a way to keep the kicking aspect relevant... though, I am in favor of tweaking the (extra point) play because of its sure nature.

I've heard of the short FG proposal... I just think, if the sport is going to be called "FOOTball", it should have a strong element of foot in it. I don't know, the drop kick, do something.