Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zach Kerr, NT, Delaware

Zach Kerr, NT, Delaware

I think this needs to be posted, for those of you who like Nix (dont get me wrong i do too, but not at 15). This guys is the real deal. Carries his weight extremely well like Nix, has an unbelievable motor, and is very athletic. Hes played against lower competition level and DID dominate (unlike Poe who really didnt tap his immense potential until he got to KC, he had some very bad game tape on some very bad memphis teams)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As0ACtkIgZc

Like most guys his size the struggle was conditioning, but that improved immensely over this last season.

Chief dline coach said

“…I continue to be drawn to the smaller school guys and couldn’t keep my eyes off of the big energizer bunny, Zach Kerr of Delaware. Though lacking a bit in finesse, Kerr displays a high rev motor and great enthusiasm for the game. Krumrie calls him ‘Delaware’ and offers advice and encouragement constantly. In later scrimmage type work Kerr inflicted some big hits on blockers and ball carriers. He has a knack for pushing the middle right into the pocket. He’s not running anyone down from behind, but he will chase.”

Kerr followed his strong showing at the Shrine Game game with an impressive workout at the NFL Scouting Combine. He was officially timed at 5.08 seconds in the 40-yard dash, which bested all nose tackle prospects by at least two-tenths of a second.

“Kerr had a good combine,” Dan Shonka of Ourlads’ NFL Scouting Services said in an email. “We graded him athletically ahead of (Arizona State DT) Will Sutton, (Florida State DT) Timmy Jernigan and (Louisiana Tech DT) Justin Ellis.”

Outside of the onfield drill work at the Combine, Kerr had a chance to speak with all 32 teams in attendance and they apparently came away impressed.

“They liked my motor and the passion I play with,” Kerr said. “They see that I’m a big guy that can move well for my size. A lot of them felt I could play anywhere on the defensive line. In fact, some weren’t sure where they’d put me. I credit that to my athletic ability and the different things I do well on the football field.”

Kerr’s combination of size, power and quickness indicate he’d be an ideal fit for the 3-4 nose tackle position where the Chiefs need quality depth behind starter Dontari Poe.

Fully aware of the Chiefs defensive scheme and personnel, Kerr is confident that it’s one in which he’d thrive at either nose tackle or defensive end.

“I’m definitely familiar with their 3-4,” Kerr proclaimed. “The big fellas up front are allowed to slant, shoot gaps and make plays in the backfield. I love that type of defense because at the end of the day everybody is playing ball. I think I could play anywhere on that defensive line from the zero-technique to the five-technique and be successful.”

Eric Galko, director of scouting at OptimumScouting.com, feels Kerr’s skillset makes him an ideal fit for an aggressive 3-4 scheme.

“I think Kerr is a very strong lower-half and upper-half built nose tackle,” Galko explained in a phone interview. “He can take on blocks and hold the point of attack against double teams as well as get that initial upfield penetration if he has a one-on-one situation with a center.”

Rob Rang, senior draft analyst for CBSSports.com and NFLDraftScout.com, agrees with Galko and adds that Kerr gives teams options.

“He’s a strong guy and a pretty good athlete,” Rang said via phone interview. “He’s pretty light on his feet for a man of his size and strength. I think he’s scheme versatile and it’s that versatility that will intrigue every team in the league.”

Still, more important than a player’s mere physical gifts are his intangibles. Kerr feels his charismatic yet intense personality and approach to the game will suit him well at the next level.

“I really love the game and I bring that passion and effort to work every single day,” Kerr stated. “Whether it’s practice, film study, or lifting and running, I bring that intensity every day. I also hate to lose at anything – arguments, video games – I just hate losing. Lastly, I’m a leader both vocally during games and by example in the film room and practice.”

Nonetheless, despite Kerr’s glowing positives, there remains room for improvement.

“Professional players are going to be able to use his lack of leverage against him,” Rang said. “His brute power was such that he was able to dominate his opponents at Delaware. But without better technique, he’s going to get knocked off the ball by NFL players. That’s the biggest concern I have about him. I see it taking a year for him to get acclimated to the greater speed and technique of the NFL.”

Kerr knows his leverage and pad-level must remain an area of focus in his preparation for the pro game.

“Staying lower and using my hands more consistently is where I need to get better,” Kerr admitted. “Also becoming a better pass rusher and perfecting my pass rush moves. Overall, I feel like I’ve received some good coaching in previous years. But there are still things I need to work on, especially going to the next level because it’s a whole different animal playing there.”

As Kerr continues to ready himself for his Pro Day on March 18th, the scouting community seems mixed on where he will be selected in the draft.

While NFL.com and CBSSports.com predict Kerr coming off the board in the sixth or seventh round, OptimumScouting.com sees him being picked no later than the fifth.

“I know people that I spoke with at the Shrine Game definitely like him as a mid-round prospect,” Galko shared. “Nose tackles that don’t have motor or conditioning concerns are not easy to find. There’s not many guys that big who can move that well and can also play five-tech. I think overall, given his scheme versatility and starter potential, he’s going to be valued somewhere between the early third round and early fifth round as a prospect.”

He could also probably play any of the spot on the D-Line. That's valuable. I've never seen hustle from the NT position like I've seen with Zach Kerr, he moves like hes 270, not 330, he also has no quit in him which is what you like to see from any player, but especially a dlineman that gets beat up play after play after play.

http://www.chiefsspin.com/chiefs-sho...t-zach-kerr-2/

So, who is on board?

Pro Bowler
    Seems like an interesting later round pick. 6'1"/325 (326 at combine, 323 at his pro day). Played at Maryland for 2 years before transferring to Delaware. His senior year he was All-CAA first team (2nd team his junior year) as well as Co-Captain of the team. Had 28 reps on the bench at the combine. Everything I read said the kid had a non-stop motor and was willing to work.

I see a mix of 2 small school NT prospects when I watch him. Dontari Poe coming out of Memphis and Sammie Lee Hill coming out of Stillman. Right now I think he grades out as a solid 3/4 rounder, he moves so much better than other NTs "ranked" higher than him. That fat slob Mccullers comes to mind

you're preaching to the choir on this one. I said in another thread that he was my second favorite NT in this draft, and I'm firmly entrenched on the "Nix as a possibility" bandwagon...

Not really sure i get your point, though, KTrain. you're going to encourage people to post other TEs and LBs and WRs instead of player ___ your favorite player...

I could certainly tell you mid-round CBs I'd prefer over Darquez, for example...
    Mock 3.0
    1. Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State
    2. Jordan Matthews, WR, Vandy
    3. Ed Stinson, DE, Alabama
    4. Lache Seastrunk, RB, Baylor
    5. Zachariah Kerr, NT, Delaware
    5a. Shaquille Richardson, CB, Arizona
    6. Marcel Jensen, TE, Fresno State
    6a Greg Blair, ILB, Cincinnati
    7. Kaleb Ramsey, DE, Boston College

2013 MNF Executive Champion!

Just general discussion, we wee talking about how NTs are important, but maybe not THAT important in the 2014 NFL. A guy like Kerr arguably has the exact same ceiling, is the same size, and carries his weight just as well as Nix but would cost much much less with a 3rd or 4th round pick.

To your point, I love when people tell me who they prefer...i generally have an opinion or will look further into it. For example I prefer Stanley Jean-Baptiste in 2/3 over dennard in 1, but wouldnt prefer SJB over gilbert in 1. I also like EJ Gaines from Mizzou a ton and he could probably be had in the 4th/5th.

Its a discussion worth having, especially when discussing possibly trading up for a Sammy Watkins, a real game changer, someone who would indefinitely make the team better from day one. in discussing possibly trading our second round pick and someone nabbing watkins people generally hate the idea. I, on the other hand would would do it in a heart beat because even though its a "deep" draft in that theres a lot of juniors, not getting julio jones and landing greg little in the second is a nightmare of mine lol

Its not just Watkins though, I would have traded a 2nd round pick to move up and get Earl Thomas, JJ Watt, Suh, guys that really change the foundation of a team. This year, that guy to me is Sammy watkins. So in my thought process of possibly doing this, we would have to look elsewhere for talent on the Dline/MLB/depth at RB/depth at CB and thats where a guy like kerr, SJB, Ej Gaines, Brent Urban, Ed Stinson, Shayne Skov ect really get me interested

Evans is another one they could move up a few spots for (fewer spots fwiw), but a little food for thought here on the possibility of getting watkins.

St Louis trades #2 (clowney) to atlanta for #6 and their 2nd/3rd round pick. They may want to move down further and do it on the cheap. might only cost a 2nd and #15 to move up 9 spots...st louis could potentially end up with #15, 3 second rounders and 2 3rd rounders

Sorry for the endless rambling, all very unlikely but id take Watkins/Evans and give up a 2 and take Kerr later than Nix and Allen Robinson in 1/2

Fair enough - and agreed - at first was thinking, "if that's directed at me, I already said I LIKE the guy... sheesh" LMAO

Now, I'm all in... Imagine if you could put together the best draft possible with all these guys... would be fascinating to put together a planet steelers "draft board"...not actual selections, but, Rank the CBs... Rank the WRs, rank the ___... then put that all together by position.
    Mock 3.0

No lol, not directed at you. Just wanted to expand on talking about Nix. I do think the team explores trading up for Watkins or Evans (most likely Evans but I can dream) and people scoff at it because the team has so many holes (dont entirely agree with, team has holes when it comes to impact players but has pretty decent depth at most positions and starters set at most spots)

Its "deep" at WR but very top heavy, cant just expect a 3rd round caliber guy to step in and start opposite brown..could happen, but wheaton and sanders couldnt do that, willie reid couldnt crack any lineup, sweed could never start.

Holmes and Burress did though, wallace was more of a #3 his first year...so it is hit or miss

Lets say they move up 5 spots and give up a 4th and a 6th or something next year.

1) Mike Evans Day one starter at #2 WR
    2) Kyle Van Noy OLB BYU
    3 Comp) Zach Kerr NT Delaware, 330 pounds but moves like hes 270 and has an incredible motor
    5) Brent Urban DE Virgina
    5 comp) EJ Gaines CB Mizzou
    7) Isaiah Crowell RB Alabama St (unlikely lol)
    7 comp) Colt Lyleria TE Oregon (highly unlikely but this is where i mock criminals lol)

Oline) Adams, Gilbert, Decastro, Pouncey, Beachum, Whimper, Foster, Wallace
    WR) Brown, Evans, Wheaton, Moye, sign Moore?
    TE) Miller, Lyleria, Spaeth
    RB) Bell, Crowell, JOnes/LSH?

DL) Sign Carrington or Keisel, Heyward, Urban, Kerr, Mcclendon, Thomas, Arnfelt/Williams
    OLB) Jones, Worilds, Van Noy, sign harrison?
    MLB, Timmons, Spence, Williams, harrison here too?
    CB) Ike, Allen, Gay, Gaines
    S) Troy, Mitchell, Shamarko, Allen

Just spewing examples, but a good draft can be had with less picks, especially as people like to call it...a deep draft, having a ton of picks hasnt really helped them lately, urgency to get the best players on the roster might help, they have depth and lack star power at several positions

Very off topic, but i mange to throw kerr in the discussion here and there lol

I wouldn't mind Evans, but, would hesitate to trade up for anyone. The team has too many holes to give up on a chance to get a potential star (I.e., part with draft picks).

Ya know, we need a true mock thread. Each person gets 2 mocks. "What I think they do" and "what I WISH they would do".
    Mock 3.0

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    No lol, not directed at you. Just wanted to expand on talking about Nix. I do think the team explores trading up for Watkins or Evans (most likely Evans but I can dream) and people scoff at it because the team has so many holes (dont entirely agree with, team has holes when it comes to impact players but has pretty decent depth at most positions and starters set at most spots)

Its "deep" at WR but very top heavy, cant just expect a 3rd round caliber guy to step in and start opposite brown..could happen, but wheaton and sanders couldnt do that, willie reid couldnt crack any lineup, sweed could never start.

Holmes and Burress did though, wallace was more of a #3 his first year...so it is hit or miss

Lets say they move up 5 spots and give up a 4th and a 6th or something next year.

1) Mike Evans Day one starter at #2 WR
    2) Kyle Van Noy OLB BYU
    3 Comp) Zach Kerr NT Delaware, 330 pounds but moves like hes 270 and has an incredible motor
    5) Brent Urban DE Virgina
    5 comp) EJ Gaines CB Mizzou
    7) Isaiah Crowell RB Alabama St (unlikely lol)
    7 comp) Colt Lyleria TE Oregon (highly unlikely but this is where i mock criminals lol)

Oline) Adams, Gilbert, Decastro, Pouncey, Beachum, Whimper, Foster, Wallace
    WR) Brown, Evans, Wheaton, Moye, sign Moore?
    TE) Miller, Lyleria, Spaeth
    RB) Bell, Crowell, JOnes/LSH?

DL) Sign Carrington or Keisel, Heyward, Urban, Kerr, Mcclendon, Thomas, Arnfelt/Williams
    OLB) Jones, Worilds, Van Noy, sign harrison?
    MLB, Timmons, Spence, Williams, harrison here too?
    CB) Ike, Allen, Gay, Gaines
    S) Troy, Mitchell, Shamarko, Allen

Just spewing examples, but a good draft can be had with less picks, especially as people like to call it...a deep draft, having a ton of picks hasnt really helped them lately, urgency to get the best players on the roster might help, they have depth and lack star power at several positions

Very off topic, but i mange to throw kerr in the discussion here and there lol
    Sign me up for any draft scenario that gets us an elite big wideout for Ben like Evans on day one and then makes our front 7 younger and stronger with guys like Van Noy and Kerr on day two. At that point, the day three picks are gravy for depth at positions like CB and RB.

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Sign me up for any draft scenario that gets us an elite big wideout for Ben like Evans on day one and then makes our front 7 younger and stronger with guys like Van Noy and Kerr on day two. At that point, the day three picks are gravy for depth at positions like CB and RB.
    I would rather address CB on Day 1 or Day 2, Zack Kerr will still be available on Day 3.