Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: MJD staying in Pitt for a second day

Pro Bowler
    Why wouldn't they pursue Blount instead of MJD? MJD has basically been hurt for two seasons in a row now. They have run his tires bare. It is POSSIBLE that he gets himself right and has a few more decent seasons left, but it is not likely. I would much prefer they go with Blount and re-sign Felix Jones why they are at it.

Hall of Famer
    In Summary....The Steelers are the only one interested & MJD's agent has put info out there that others are interested to increase the Steelers offer. The Steelers have said they are interested in signing a "vet" RB & information is floating around they will sign a RB before the end of the week. Only RB scheduled...Blount. MJD has said he is "willing to wait" for the market to turn. Posturing? I'll take Blount because he is younger & cheaper. He would fill a role at RB. Also a capable starter if needed. Draft one in the 5th back.

Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    Why wouldn't they pursue Blount instead of MJD? MJD has basically been hurt for two seasons in a row now. They have run his tires bare. It is POSSIBLE that he gets himself right and has a few more decent seasons left, but it is not likely. I would much prefer they go with Blount and re-sign Felix Jones why they are at it.
    I think MJD has a much higher ceiling...little risk for a guy who just recently led the league in rushing. He did play for the Jags u know? They gave him little motivation to do anything by not rewarding him with a contract extension or treating him like a valuable piece to their team.

MJD would probably be the better back if you had a contender and needed that last piece. But, Blount has some years left in him, and I really like the way he runs. Yes, he is a ball bat but he does the ball bat thing well.

MJD is more complete (when healthy). He's a 3 down back who can run, catch, pass protect and Blount isn't that guy. MJD could cover if Bell was injured and even spell Bell at any moment. Blount would be situational and would leave a need for a 3rd down back in the event Bell had to miss time... as most football players eventually do.
    Mock 3.0
    1. Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State
    2. Jordan Matthews, WR, Vandy
    3. Ed Stinson, DE, Alabama
    4. Lache Seastrunk, RB, Baylor
    5. Zachariah Kerr, NT, Delaware
    5a. Shaquille Richardson, CB, Arizona
    6. Marcel Jensen, TE, Fresno State
    6a Greg Blair, ILB, Cincinnati
    7. Kaleb Ramsey, DE, Boston College

2013 MNF Executive Champion!

Legend
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    There's no doubt MJD is the more rounded RB. The Steelers could likely pick up a Blount-type RB in the middle to later rounds of the draft. Not sure they could get an MJD type with the same pick.

Unless the Steelers want to bring back Stephens-Howling..
    Schiavone's Race Career:

Starts- 9
    Wins- 1
    2nd- 4
    3rd- 0
    Other- 4

Prizemoney- $28,050.00

Hall of Famer
    We really need two more backs plus a draft pick to get our 4. So either Blount or MJD is a must as a backup...then either LSH or Jones to cover 3rd down responsibilities.
    I would prefer Blount who still hasn't hit his apogee vs MJD and his high risk.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Steelers Free Agency: Maurice Jones-Drew willing to wait on market

By Neal Coolong on Mar 25 2014

The 2011 rushing champion feels he's worth $3 million a season and is willing to wait to sign with a team who's willing to pay that price.

Good things come to those who wait, says free agent running back Maurice Jones-Drew. Maybe not in those exact words, but according to Bart Hubbuch of the New York Post, who cited a source with information that MJD will be willing to wait on the market until a team is willing to pay him his alleged target salary of $3 million.

A few things stand out here. First, considering the running backs market is especially cool, waiting is likely his only choice. That does not mean, however, waiting will ensure he gets to that price. After other desired running backs have signed, like LaGarrette Blount and Knowshon Moreno, Jones-Drew will likely pigeon-hole himself somewhere around their value, whether they reach $3 million a season or not.

Second, it seems to be an indirect message to the Steelers, who will clear roughly $8 million in cap space after June 1, when the contract of LaMarr Woodley is cleared off their 2014 books. Whether the Steelers would pay a back-up roughly four times what their starter, Le'Veon Bell, will make this year is another matter.

Lastly, the decision to wait would be tantamount to saying he'll wait for an injury or something else to a starting running back before making a decision now to accept less money as a back-up. That's a valid idea, but it also hurts him from a leverage standpoint. It's as if he's saying "I want to be a starter," more than "I want $3 million." Both would obviously be ideal.

The Steelers are allegedly in the running for the running back, the price will be the biggest hurdle. A report early Tuesday suggests the Steelers will sign an "experienced running back" by the end of this week.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...ice-jones-drew

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    A report early Tuesday suggests the Steelers will sign an "experienced running back" by the end of this week.
    The part of the article i'm most curious about... sounds like MJD is unlikely, unless they extend Worilds this week...
    Mock 3.0
    1. Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State
    2. Jordan Matthews, WR, Vandy
    3. Ed Stinson, DE, Alabama
    4. Lache Seastrunk, RB, Baylor
    5. Zachariah Kerr, NT, Delaware
    5a. Shaquille Richardson, CB, Arizona
    6. Marcel Jensen, TE, Fresno State
    6a Greg Blair, ILB, Cincinnati
    7. Kaleb Ramsey, DE, Boston College

2013 MNF Executive Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    The part of the article i'm most curious about... sounds like MJD is unlikely, unless they extend Worilds this week...
    I thought the same thing, sounds like it's gonna be Blount to me since he's visiting us on Friday...