Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: MJD staying in Pitt for a second day

Legend

User Info Menu

and my bubble just bursted... per my Team Steam alert, discussions end with no contract
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Early April Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama
    2.51 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.84 -Sedrick Van Pran-Granger, C, Georgia
    3.98 -<tbd>
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

It was exactly what I said it was: The Steelers feigning to be looking to add a fairly big name, the player using the meeting to create more market demand, and at the end of it all, Pgh low balled him on a level he wouldn't accept. I don't know how everyone doesn't see through this charade. And why add a broken down back to begin with? The team needs to add youth to begin with.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    It was exactly what I said it was: The Steelers feigning to be looking to add a fairly big name, the player using the meeting to create more market demand, and at the end of it all, Pgh low balled him on a level he wouldn't accept. I don't know how everyone doesn't see through this charade.
    Yep. Team wants to look as though they're really pursuing some big name FA talent in order to appease the fans.

Legend

User Info Menu

we did sign a big name FA in recent days...lol

WHIMPER!!!!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    Yep. Team wants to look as though they're really pursuing some big name FA talent in order to appease the fans.
    Yup, BradshawsHairdresser, they do it every year and it seems pretty obvious as to what the truth is. They constantly "bring a player in" who they know damn well they won't be signing. But the gullible fans look and say, "Well, they are trying everything they can to get better."

Rookie

User Info Menu

Yeah...it's a conspiracy...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    How does visiting with players appease fans? I don't see it.

The truth is that the STeelers don't have cap space and are looking for bargains. They are hoping they can sell themselves and get a relative bargain. It is smart business. Of course it was unlikely that MJD would sign.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Administrator

User Info Menu

And in the meatime of this MJD BS, we lost Cotchery.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Carolina wanted to pay him more...so it goes...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    How does visiting with players appease fans? I don't see it.

The truth is that the STeelers don't have cap space and are looking for bargains. They are hoping they can sell themselves and get a relative bargain. It is smart business. Of course it was unlikely that MJD would sign.

It appeases the fans by fooling them into thinking exactly what you are thinking--that the Steelers genuinely believe they can sign these players and are working hard to get them. The reality is, the team already has a pretty good idea of the kind of $$$ a player is looking for before he ever comes to visit.

Best evidence I can give you? They just spent a significant chunk of their remaining cap space to re-sign Guy Whimper. If they were really serious about landing players like MJD, they would have waited to sign Whimper. Nobody was beating down the door to take him away...and even if they lost him, they certainly could have found a serviceable backup OLman later on. Leaving themselves with less than $2.5 million in cap space tells me they aren't really looking to be a player for the better FAs.

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick
    Yeah...it's a conspiracy...
    It's called PR. Companies and organizations do this kind of thing all the time. What's surprising to me is that some sports fans are so blindly loyal that they don't think their team would ever go there.
    Last edited by BradshawsHairdresser; 03-20-2014 at 02:48 PM.