Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trading Down

Legend

User Info Menu

Trading Down

I know some advocate trading down for extra picks and others would rather stand pat. The biggest obstacle to trading down, typically, is finding a trading partner, well there may be a trading partner on draft day. With Steve Smith gone now from the Panthers their 4 starting WRs are gone, they have nothing, zip, zero, nada, zilch!

Would they be open to moving up to 1.15 from 1.28 if Evans is available. They would need 390 points to make it an even trade, their 2nd and 3rd would be 432, they probably wouldn't go for that, but what about their 2nd, 4th and 5th, that's 377, to get the extra picks in this draft if I were Colbert I'd take it in a heartbeat.

It now appears that Jericho Cotchery may very well be a Panther (He hasn't left Carolina) which will make this trade more likely, the Panthers could have their veteran WR, now they need the stud, Evans, but they have to move to get him, that's were Colbert and company step in and give them a helping hand.

Then the following: (These players are just one thought of what could be had with the added picks)

1.28 - Ra'sheed Hageman/Kony Ealy/Louis Nix - DE (I think one of them will be there at 1.28 )
    2.47 - Verrett/Roby/Roberson - CB (whichever is available and in that order of preference)
    2.60 - Jordan mathews - WR
    3.97 - CJ Fiedorowicz - TE (comp pick)
    4.114 - Shayne Skov - ILB
    4.124 - Cameron Fleming - OT
    5.145 - Prince Shembo - OLB
    5.156 - Justin Ellis - DT

I think this would be a great year to pull something like that, since the Panthers could very well be looking to move up based on the fact that they probably don't have an NFL caliber WR on the roster right now.

Pappy
    Last edited by papillon; 03-17-2014 at 11:23 PM.

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

They would 100% not move if evans was there, the only was i see a move down is if evans is officially out of the question

Ealy is a terrible fit for us btw. Hageman, Verrett, Matthews, Fied, and Skov would be one hell of a haul though

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    They would 100% not move if evans was there, the only was i see a move down is if evans is officially out of the question

Ealy is a terrible fit for us btw. Hageman, Verrett, Matthews, Fied, and Skov would be one hell of a haul though
    You think the Steelers would rather take Evans than pick up 3 more picks in a deep draft? Are the second round WRs that much different in talent than Evans to give up three picks in a deep draft that could restock the roster rather nicely?

I was just throwing names out there that might be available at the respective draft positions. I'll take your word on Ealy not being a fit.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think they will covet Evans on draft day where you wont be able to stop them from getting to the podium if hes there at 15

If hes gone I could see a move down.

At 1.28 I could see A LOT of players in play....Hageman (even tho I think hes more in the Michael Brockers area as a prospect), Marqise Lee, Ryan Shazier, Kelvin Benjamin, Nix, even Fuller could still be there

Legend

User Info Menu

This draft is really deep so there is going to have to be a player that some team is dying to have for a tradedown to work. I just don't see that happening with a deep draft like this.

I do like the idea and the players you picked. I do think you would have to swith the pick of Matthews and the CBs because I think Matthews would be in higher demand.

I do agree with K Train in that if Evans is there at #15, the Steelers will sprint to the stage like they did for DeCastro.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Rookie

User Info Menu

Agree. Most draftniks agree that this is a deep draft for good WRs, so if I'm Carolina I don't see much motivation to move up.

Legend

User Info Menu

I don't think trading down is an option this year...

There is a lot of movement in FA for WR's which is a little surprising

Legend

User Info Menu

I guess I'm thinking that if the Steelers covet Evans that much a team that has its entire receiving corps depleted and is potentially signing a veteran (Cotchery) might want him as well. The Steelers offense isn't the problem at this point and as we've mentioned with a deep draft a good receiver can be had in the 2nd or even the 3rd. Regardless, I just go to thinking about Carolina's situation and thought they may consider it.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

Legend

User Info Menu

Last year the Panthers had a big need at DT so their first two picks were a double down at the position with Star Lotulelei and Kawann Short. They could have a similar double down situation with their top two picks at WR this year. Could be Cooks or Beckham or Benjamin in the late first, followed by Matthews or Robinson or Landry in the late second.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think we have a major problem at WR right now, #2 WR is one of the biggest holes on the team.

Panthers have it bad, but the steelers arent far behind as far as being weak at WR. Funny hearing people brush it off as the offense isnt a problem on the steelers, right now it is