Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If we need to add depth at HB in the draft.....

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

If we need to add depth at HB in the draft.....

....I don't see using a high pick; I am thinking maybe adding a back in the 5th round or so.

This guy is interesting. Only knock is his size, but if he only needs to handle 10 touches a game, I think he could stay in one piece.

James White, of WI.

Who you like in a later round HB?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Isaiah Crowell is one of my guys for backup RB. James white would be a decent option too though

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Wisconsin running backs benefit from great Oline play and are often disappointments in the NFL. White was the second best back on his team this year, after Melvin Gordon who is Jamaal Charles-like.

That said, I wouldn't be disappointed with him as a late rounder. He has some speed, quickness, very good vision and lateral agility. But, he doesn't exactly excite me either. He could struggle with smaller holes and stronger tacklers given his size and running style.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Storm Johnson out of UCF. Hard runner with good hands. Can get him late. Read the following identifying him as a "sleeper"

[URL]http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2014/03/13/2014-nfl-draft-sleeper-watch-storm-johnson/[/URL]

The 2014 NFL Draft is a draft that, while it lacks truly elite talent at the running back position, does possess several mid-to-late round prospects that could end up making a big impact in the NFL. One of these running backs, Storm Johnson, has all the skills required to become a great back at the next level, yet he’s somehow still being overlooked as a potential sleeper.

Standing at 6-foot, 215-pounds, Johnson has great size for a running back, and with a big frame and a downhill running style, Johnson has very good power in his runs. Displaying excellent patience, Johnson does a great job of timing his runs, and when you throw in the fact that he is a solid pass catcher out of the backfield, Johnson looks like a pretty complete prospect.

With that said, Johnson does have his fair share of weaknesses. Although he is good at everything, he isn’t elite in any one aspect of his game, and because of that, he may never be more than a part-time back in the NFL. Not to mention, because he only started in one season of his college career, Johnson still lacks game experience.

Overall, however, Storm Johnson is what he is: He’s a jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none type of player. Johnson probably isn’t going to be a starter at the next level, but he has plenty of talent to get the job done as part of a committee backfield. Johnson isn’t a star, but there is no doubt he would be well worth a late-round draft pick.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think Bell is going to kill it this year.

I was hardly a bell fan last season too, loathed the pick at first

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post

Yea, but you don't like much about the Steelers currently anyhow, so we all just let it ride.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Yea, but you don't like much about the Steelers currently anyhow, so we all just let it ride.

Pappy
    I think you have me confused with someone

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post

I loved the Bell pick and predicted it a month ahead of the draft. Bell will put up a huge year but we need some depth with Dwyer gone. I think they will be adding a HB no matter what. I would like to see Jones come back. He has some talent; he just isn't an every down back as he was drafted to be, but we don't need him to be. I'd like to see Jones and a rookie. I agree WI backs have mostly disappointed in the NFL, especially the most prolific college back ever, in Ron Dayne. He was a huge bust, although many scouts did predict he would be. They were right.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I did not want bell at all, but I figured they were targeting him hard with the visits and rumors and what not. I was pro lattimore/sign bradshaw

At the end of the day, hes tough, he has a nice first step and is an excellent receiver. I think he has a real chance to be a top 5-7 back this year in TDs and YFS

I would like one of Jones and LSH back though...i think they add something as a change of pace back

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think Andre Brown would be a good signing as well