Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: Trading Down

  1. #11
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,277
    Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    I guess I'm thinking that if the Steelers covet Evans that much a team that has its entire receiving corps depleted and is potentially signing a veteran (Cotchery) might want him as well. The Steelers offense isn't the problem at this point and as we've mentioned with a deep draft a good receiver can be had in the 2nd or even the 3rd. Regardless, I just go to thinking about Carolina's situation and thought they may consider it.

    Pappy
    The Steelers offense isn't ever a concern until they can't score in the red zone then everyone on this board wants to call the OC an idiot and scream for him to get fired.

    Not sure if you noticed, but over the past 48 hours our offense has taken a major hit. We have lost our #2 and probably #3 wide receivers with nothing but untested players to take their choice. We have zero experienced RBs behind Bell. And despite that everyone thinks everything is fine with the offense so lets draft defensive players who won't play much in 2014.

    Our offense needs just as much attention this offseason as the defense. Last I checked, the only outside free agents we have signed who have a chance to start have been on defense.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  2. #12
    Legend papillon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Under your bed
    Posts
    6,939
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    The Steelers offense isn't ever a concern until they can't score in the red zone then everyone on this board wants to call the OC an idiot and scream for him to get fired.

    Not sure if you noticed, but over the past 48 hours our offense has taken a major hit. We have lost our #2 and probably #3 wide receivers with nothing but untested players to take their choice. We have zero experienced RBs behind Bell. And despite that everyone thinks everything is fine with the offense so lets draft defensive players who won't play much in 2014.

    Our offense needs just as much attention this offseason as the defense. Last I checked, the only outside free agents we have signed who have a chance to start have been on defense.
    Did you take a look at the players I would try to get if for some reason the Panthers would want to move up and grab Evans? Since the offense has taken a hit in the past 48 hours a trade down (should the Panthers go for it) would really help then, wouldn't it? I was trying to see what different fans would do if the Steelers could grab some extra picks, that's all.

    I know you're an offensive guy and I'm a defensive guy, but a move like that could give us both what we want.

    Pappy


    1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

    "Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

  3. #13
    I like the idea of moving back. I would think we should be able to find a dance partner if we really want to. Quality vs. quantity is always a difficult call.

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron City Inc. View Post
    I like the idea of moving back. I would think we should be able to find a dance partner if we really want to. Quality vs. quantity is always a difficult call.
    I agree Iron city. And what if god forbid the Steelers don't like Evens at 15? And IF they could move back this would seem to be a good year to do that.

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    I think we have a major problem at WR right now, #2 WR is one of the biggest holes on the team.

    Panthers have it bad, but the steelers arent far behind as far as being weak at WR. Funny hearing people brush it off as the offense isnt a problem on the steelers, right now it is
    Haven't heard may say it ISN'T a problem... perhaps not the TOP problem. Unfortunately, our team has lots of holes this year. And a couple of them are critical and neither side of the ball looked completely rock solid.

    I'm in the boat of keeping hope alive that Wheaton wasn't a total miss and should be entrenched in the rotation this year. Guess it remains to be seen, but, there are enough holes that you gotta gamble with somebody stepping up.
    Mock 3.0
    1. Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State
    2. Jordan Matthews, WR, Vandy
    3. Ed Stinson, DE, Alabama
    4. Lache Seastrunk, RB, Baylor
    5. Zachariah Kerr, NT, Delaware
    5a. Shaquille Richardson, CB, Arizona
    6. Marcel Jensen, TE, Fresno State
    6a Greg Blair, ILB, Cincinnati
    7. Kaleb Ramsey, DE, Boston College

    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    Haven't heard may say it ISN'T a problem... perhaps not the TOP problem. Unfortunately, our team has lots of holes this year. And a couple of them are critical and neither side of the ball looked completely rock solid.

    I'm in the boat of keeping hope alive that Wheaton wasn't a total miss and should be entrenched in the rotation this year. Guess it remains to be seen, but, there are enough holes that you gotta gamble with somebody stepping up.
    I also look for Bell and Miller to have there number called more this coming season in the passing game. Would also hope Johnson gets more love in the passing game. Even Spaeth could catch a few. Plus a rookie or 2. Maybe Moye can step up big this season to replace Cotchery. There are 8 wr's on the offseason roster.

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Laser View Post
    I agree Iron city. And what if god forbid the Steelers don't like Evens at 15? And IF they could move back this would seem to be a good year to do that.
    Evans isn't likely to make it to 15 and we'll just have to live with it. However if that means a corner falls to us and we select on at 15 I would be okay with that as there may be about 7 wr's go in round one but there will be about 4 or 5 top wr's left for round 2 and we may just get our big receiver at 46.
    If there was a year to be thin at wr this draft class will be just what the doctor ordered.

  8. #18
    Legend hawaiiansteel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hawaii 5-0
    Posts
    14,976
    Steelers’ G.M. says everyone wants to trade down in this draft

    Posted by Michael David Smith on March 23, 2014



    Don’t expect the Steelers to trade up from the 15th overall pick in the NFL draft.

    Steelers General Manager Kevin Colbert said today at the league meeting that with the available talent in this draft, trading down makes a lot more sense than trading up. Unfortunately for Colbert, he thinks the rest of the league feels the same way, which means that teams looking to pick up extra picks by trading down won’t find many takers.

    “It makes more sense in this draft than trading up,” Colbert said of trading down, via Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “I’m sure everyone shares the same thought.”

    All it takes is one team to fall in love with a player, however, for the possibility of trading up to materialize. If some team that isn’t near the top of the draft decides that it has to have Teddy Bridgewater or Blake Bortles or Johnny Manziel or Jadeveon Clowney or Greg Robinson or Sammy Watkins or Khalil Mack, a team with a high pick will have the opportunity to trade down.

    But Colbert seems to think the strength of this draft is in its depth, not in the elite players at the top. Which means accumulating more picks is the key to putting together a strong draft, and trading down is better than trading up.

    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...in-this-draft/

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •