Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: James Harrison on NFL Total Access

James Harrison would like to return to Pittsburgh
    Posted by Michael David Smith on March 18, 2014, 6:42 AM EDT
    James Harrison AP

Free agent linebacker James Harrison would like to finish his career where he started it.

Harrison, who entered the league as an undrafted rookie in Pittsburgh in 2002 and became a five-time Pro Bowler with the Steelers, says he would love to play for the Steelers again. Asked on NFL Total Access if he would like to return to Pittsburgh, Harrison answered, “Everybody knows that.”

“I’ve got two rings and I’ve got a lot of relationships, teammates, former teammates that are still good friends,” Harrison said.

Steelers cornerback Ike Taylor was in the NFL Network studio and indicated that Harrison would be welcomed back in the Steelers’ locker room with open arms.

The Steelers cut Harrison to save cap space last year, and he played last season in Cincinnati. The Bengals cut Harrison to save cap space this month. But Harrison said he doesn’t think he’s even close to retiring, and he said he’s going to “go until the wheels fall off.”

At the right price, Harrison could make sense for the Steelers. If the wheels have to fall off somewhere, Pittsburgh would be an appropriate place for Harrison to end his NFL career.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...to-pittsburgh/

bring him in, make him play ILB with Timmons.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    The guy was a shell of himself last year on the Bungles, and the year preceding that one, with us. Still, we need a viable back-up to Worilds... someone who can step right now and know his role--BESIDES CHRIS CARTER. But even with that, as much as I love the guy, I wouldn't take him still, UNLESS...

He has any ability to play at ILB as well. As a contributor in both situations, I would probably do it.
    I think he played great his last year with us once he healed

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by tjs1974 View Post
    Hinted that he wants to come back to the Steelers. I would sign him to a 1 year deal for depth, just in case of
    an injury.
    ...or as insurance if J Jones underwhelms for a second straight season.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    ...or as insurance if J Jones underwhelms for a second straight season.
    or if Worilds gets injured again... or if V. Williams doesn't pan out..... or if Foote gets injured again.

you know, for depth.

um, foote is gone.....at least for now anyways

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by passhappy View Post
    um, foote is gone.....at least for now anyways
    well, replace Foote with Spence..

we have more than enough injured LB's to choose from.

Like I said in the other thread, this may be more of an emotional fan decision than a rational football decision, but I'd like to see James return. Let him start and play run downs, with JJ rotating in heavily. JJ will play a role similar to what Timmons did in his second year, coming in primarily as a pass rusher, with Harrison kicking inside.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    The guy was a shell of himself last year on the Bungles, and the year preceding that one, with us. Still, we need a viable back-up to Worilds... someone who can step right now and know his role--BESIDES CHRIS CARTER. But even with that, as much as I love the guy, I wouldn't take him still, UNLESS...

He has any ability to play at ILB as well. As a contributor in both situations, I would probably do it.
    I don't find this completely accurate. The year previous, he battled injuries but down the stretch, once he became healthy, he was the old, menacing JH. I forget his stats, but I think he had 4 games with sacks to finish the season. In Cinci, he was playing a new position, in the 4-3 and it just wasn't a fit. You can't base his value playing in that system compared to our 3-4. Plus, I don't think he will be asked to be on the field for 40 plays. He could be a spot player on play for 15 plays or so, and used that way, I think he could still provide a lot of value.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    I don't find this completely accurate. The year previous, he battled injuries but down the stretch, once he became healthy, he was the old, menacing JH. I forget his stats, but I think he had 4 games with sacks to finish the season. In Cinci, he was playing a new position, in the 4-3 and it just wasn't a fit. You can't base his value playing in that system compared to our 3-4. Plus, I don't think he will be asked to be on the field for 40 plays. He could be a spot player on play for 15 plays or so, and used that way, I think he could still provide a lot of value.
    We just disagree then. In those last four games, while he might have put up a few sacks, he didn't just overpower guys like "the old JH". He may be able to dip under on the edge occasionally like the old JH, but he hasn't whatever speed he had, to get his shoulders past the lineman. Now, they just ride him by.

HOWEVER, as an ILB (or OLB in a 4-3), his heavy legs (lack of speed) are less a factor. I wonder if he can still jack guys up (wonder whether his back is still sound). If he can, I think that would be a great addition next to Timmons. IIRC (correct if I'm wrong), he was a back-up ILB for us way back when.

I think letting him compete for the starting ILB job next to Timmons, while also filling the back-up OLB role would be a good move. (I don't like bringing in a guy of his stature solely as the back-up OLB.)