Thread: Your the GM..

Legend

User Info Menu

Your the GM..

Do you push the owners to vote for a cap roster exemption or do you just push for a higher cap limit?
    The answer seems rather murky. Let's say a team doesn't have a franchise QB (Browns), is it fair to them to have an exemption for a player much further down the cap limit (like a CB or WR)?
    I can see where the 'haves' and 'have nots' might be battling this one out. Bottomline, the owners want to control salary costs and it's not clear to me that an exemption would actually serve that purpose.

Legend

User Info Menu

Exemption... everybody has a "face of the franchise" player, regardless of position. That's the point... to be able to keep that guy.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Early April Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama
    2.51 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.84 -Sedrick Van Pran-Granger, C, Georgia
    3.98 -<tbd>
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    Exemption... everybody has a "face of the franchise" player, regardless of position. That's the point... to be able to keep that guy.
    But doesn't that create a "Yankees" and the rest of the league? The rich teams buy the best QBs with not having to worry about a ceiling. My guess this is one reason why some owners are reluctant to approve an exemption. Do the Steelers have the money to spend like the Redskins?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    But doesn't that create a "Yankees" and the rest of the league? The rich teams buy the best QBs with not having to worry about a ceiling. My guess this is one reason why some owners are reluctant to approve an exemption. Do the Steelers have the money to spend like the Redskins?
    A franchise doesn't have 22 faces.. That's the problem with baseball... You assign one player a tag of some sort...
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Early April Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama
    2.51 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.84 -Sedrick Van Pran-Granger, C, Georgia
    3.98 -<tbd>
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    If that's the case (I hate the Yankees) but they could make it a homegrown clause to it.
    In order to do this the person must be drafted by the team.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

nope... it's up to the GM to decide if they want to pay a QB 20 mill...

There will be a GM or 2 in the future who are brave enough to release or trade a Russell Wilson after his rookie contract and other teams will follow.

Legend

User Info Menu

I have always said that you should be able to exempt one player who meets a Time in Service requirements for that team, lets say 5 years. I think that is importnat because it allows a team to keep a "face of the franchise" player and prevents the team from buying someone with a huge free agent contract and then exempting them.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

I'd go with something similar to the old "Larry Bird" exception they had in the NBA. Allow a team one exception for a guy who, even if not drafted (I'm thinking Brett Favre or even the Bus), has been with the team for a certain amount of years.