Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Steelers have re-signed o-lineman Guy Whimper

  1. #1
    Legend RuthlessBurgher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Posts
    21,507

    Steelers have re-signed o-lineman Guy Whimper

    Per Bob Labriola. No contract #'s yet.

  2. #2
    Hall of Famer Sugar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,105
    He seemed to play well last year despite his prior reputation. Welcome back to Abdullah the Butcher!!

  3. #3
    I'd assume that this is a qualified contract for the veteran minimum, which means that there is almost no salary cap hit. As the eighth or ninth guy on the offensive line, you could do worse.

    I hope to see Whimper get some competition in camp for the spot, but I think bringing him back is a solid move.

  4. #4
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Cincitucky (Stinktown, U.S.A.)
    Posts
    3,985
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    I'd assume that this is a qualified contract for the veteran minimum, which means that there is almost no salary cap hit. As the eighth or ninth guy on the offensive line, you could do worse.

    I hope to see Whimper get some competition in camp for the spot, but I think bringing him back is a solid move.
    Yes, as long as it is a non-guaranteed deal, why not? Injuries happen and we will need bodies for camp and likely a vet will help in filling out the roster.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

  5. #5
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,703
    So let me get this straight: Pgh's version of doing good work in FA is to sign their worst players they have? OK, super job, guys.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    So let me get this straight: Pgh's version of doing good work in FA is to sign their worst players they have? OK, super job, guys.
    He's a veteran offensive lineman who knows the system and has played with the other guys. And the contract is likely for the minimum. Given the limited salary cap dollars and numerous holes on the team, what alternative move would you have made?

  7. #7
    Legend hawaiiansteel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hawaii 5-0
    Posts
    15,222
    Ed Bouchette ‏@EdBouchette:

    #Steelers OL seems set now with 4 starters & Gilbert/Adams at RT, the other a backup. G/C Cody Wallace, G/T Whimper. Fill in with draft, etc

    https://twitter.com/EdBouchette

  8. #8
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,682
    Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    So let me get this straight: Pgh's version of doing good work in FA is to sign their worst players they have? OK, super job, guys.

    im sure a late draft pick will be wasted for a camp body to possibly replace whimper.
    great move, no. but considering the way tomlin has drafted and how colbert has kept cowher guys around so long, this is what you get
    1) CB D Dennard
    2) OLB R Shazier
    3) DE J Ellis
    4) WR M Bryant
    5a) OG D Yankey
    5b) OLB J Tripp
    6a) RB D Archer
    6b) NT D McCullers
    7) WR J Janis

  9. #9
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,479
    Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    So let me get this straight: Pgh's version of doing good work in FA is to sign their worst players they have? OK, super job, guys.

    Well they have kept him for two years so obviously someone sees something. You also have to figure that Munchak has gotten a good look at him along with the other off Linemen. I doubt they do this unless Munchak indicated he would fit into what he wanted to do.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  10. #10
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,703
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    He's a veteran offensive lineman who knows the system and has played with the other guys. And the contract is likely for the minimum. Given the limited salary cap dollars and numerous holes on the team, what alternative move would you have made?
    IDK, sign someone who isn't considered the worst player at his position. I would strive to improve, not just keep your worst players. Shouldn't you always strive to improve? Does re-signing your worst players allow for improvement?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •