Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ranking our Offseason so far..

This team has serious needs
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    The Steelers would prefer to go into the draft without any huge holes. That will probably still happen, though there may be one (DL or WR).

When I look at the current roster I see...

QB - Good. May want to draft someone late to push the kid from Oklahoma. But, no needs.
    RB - After Bell, we don't have much here. We will need to add at least one more vet at some point. But, the rest of the squad can be found in the draft or as udfas or waiver wire pick ups
    WR - Add a vet who is an efficient route runner and reliable target. Brown, Wheaton, and a rookie can provide speed and playmaking.
    OL - With Whimper and Wallace, we now have 8 guys (and backups to all starters). Add a draft pick and/or udfas and camp bodies to mix.
    TE - It would be nice to add a playmaking rookie. But it is not necessary.
    DL - must add another vet and a draft pick to round out this group.
    CB - All starters return. That is good and bad. This is a group that must be upgraded as Allen's contract will expire soon and Taylor is old. Must draft someone in first three rounds or so. A vet would be a luxury that I'm not sure we can afford.
    S - We have starters and two or three backups. We are set.
    ILB -If Spence can play, this could turn into a position of strength. OTherwise, we could look to draft someone to play next to Timmons.
    OLB -We need depth and future/spot starters. The draft and UDFAs look like the likely route after we invested so much in Worilds.

Yeah, a vet DL and a vet WR/possession guy and perhaps a RB look like FA needs right now. But, the steelers could go with youth and multiple draft picks and then scour the waiver wire during preseason at any or two of the positions. They would probably find good value doing that.

All in all, a typical Steelers offseason. We will likely only have one, or perhaps no, glaring need(s) going into the draft after we add a couple more low cost vets.

Good assessment and the right places to add bodies.

The only places i might slightly disagree - if spence looks healthy-ish, could see the team adding a veteran and not drafting an ILB. Timmons and Spence, Vince and a vet to fight it out opposite him, wouldn't be terrible. I read the name Pat Angerer - wondering if that would be overkill (depends on price).

At OLB, I expect one mid-to-late draft pick and/or maybe a recycled vet as a security blanket.... wondering how inexpensive Deebo would be these days.
    Mock 3.0
    1. Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State
    2. Jordan Matthews, WR, Vandy
    3. Ed Stinson, DE, Alabama
    4. Lache Seastrunk, RB, Baylor
    5. Zachariah Kerr, NT, Delaware
    5a. Shaquille Richardson, CB, Arizona
    6. Marcel Jensen, TE, Fresno State
    6a Greg Blair, ILB, Cincinnati
    7. Kaleb Ramsey, DE, Boston College

2013 MNF Executive Champion!

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    This team has serious needs

yup, at this point we are worse than our 8-8 team last year
    1) CB D Dennard
    2) OLB R Shazier
    3) DE J Ellis
    4) WR M Bryant
    5a) OG D Yankey
    5b) OLB J Tripp
    6a) RB D Archer
    6b) NT D McCullers
    7) WR J Janis

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    yup, at this point we are worse than our 8-8 team last year
    Maybe improved S position. Got worse at RB (but might not matter by season start), WR (lost 2 out of the top 3 WRs), DL (Most are fine with Hood leaving, most disappointed loss of Woods, losing Keisel makes us worse but that doesn't mean I would favor offering him more than a 1 year, cheap deal). LB unit worse. Right now, this team has got worse, not better. And that is bad news for an 8-8 team.

Starkey: Steelers offseason rates an 'A' so far

March 17, 2014
    By Joe Starkey

Steelers linebacker Jason Worilds sacks Lions quarterback Matthew Staford in the third quarter Sunday, Nov. 17, 2013 at Heinz Field.

Admit it: The Steelers have surprised you this offseason.

I know they've surprised me.

I'd rate their work an “A” so far.

That hardly means their problems are solved. As we've stated previously in this space, the offense will have to carry the load next season because you're going to see a patchwork defense. Might be worse than that if Jarvis Jones doesn't fill out or if Jason Worilds morphs back into a chronically injured underachiever rather than the Worilds beater we saw for part of last season.

It'll take longer than one offseason to make up for the poor drafting (so long Ziggy Hood), injuries (bye-bye LaMarr Woodley) shaky personnel evaluations (Keenan Lewis) and natural erosion (see you on SportsCenter, Ryan Clark) that ravaged a once-great defense.

But if you don't like what the Steelers have done over the past 10 days, you're plain stubborn.

Look at this way: If I'd told you going into March that the Steelers would find a way to retain Worilds, extend Troy Polamalu and Heath Miller with little risk, get Ike Taylor to take a massive pay cut and make a $25 million dive into free agency, would you have been satisfied?

Yes, I know, it wasn't like they committed $25 million to free safety Mike Mitchell on the spot. That was just the total number. He might never see it. Everybody's a cap expert these days. A bunch probably tried to convince you there was no way the Steelers would keep Worilds — and certainly not at the expense of LaMarr Woodley.

Well, the Steelers found a way. That is not to be underestimated. They shocked everyone by dusting off the old transition-tag play. They'd made a mistake with Lewis and weren't going to repeat it without a fight.

In essence, they were acknowledging the obvious: You simply cannot allow young talent to leave when you're trying to rebuild a dying defense.

It's amazing, in a way, that the Steelers apparently are going to commit tens of millions of dollars to a player (Worilds) who has had two good months in four years. It's also entirely possible that Woodley, like Joey Porter when he went to Miami, has one great year left in him.

Still, the Steelers made the right move. They had to get younger. Worilds showed enough to make you believe he could be a pass-rushing force from the left side.

If few had the Steelers keeping Worilds, fewer had them making a splash play on day one of free agency. The photo going around Twitter — before the Mitchell signing — depicted eight people sleeping at a conference table under the headline, “Steelers Free Agent War Room.”

Apparently, they woke up.

Mitchell, by all indications, is a younger version of Clark, complete with a naked contempt for Roger Goodell. He crushes receivers. He adds speed and playmaking ability. We'll find out how much of his success was a product of the talent around him in Carolina.

As for Ike, he might not be able to shadow top receivers anymore, but he can still play. And he'll do so at the drastically reduced rate of $2.75 million in base salary. Another win for the Steelers.

Meanwhile, there was much consternation over losing Al Woods, whom a lot of fans seemingly believe is about to become the James Harrison of linemen — an oft-cut journeyman who suddenly becomes a star.

Well guess what: They wrote a book about James Harrison because those stories don't happen very often. You can find another Al Woods in a lot of places — free agency (Cam Thomas helps), waiver wire and this thing called the NFL Draft. Sure, the Steelers are short on ends at the moment, but I'm pretty sure whey won't line up in a 1-5-5 for the season opener.

I'm guessing they will patch together a decent defense by then. They're trying. Give 'em an “E” for effort so far.

And more importantly, an “A” for execution.

http://triblive.com/sports/joestarke...#ixzz2wFhmGI83