Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Cochery to visit

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    On a qualified veteran minimum contract, a player's cap hit is less than his salary. Also, only the 51 highest salaries count. So Whimper's cap hit is $635k, but he replaced somebody at $420k, meaning he only uses $215k in cap space. There are reports that the Steelers borrowed against the cap in earlier years and are paying it back, in part, this year. That would account for $750k, so that could be the difference.

[URL]http://overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Steelers&Year=2014[/URL]

"borrowed against the cap"..... wow. Knew they were in cap hell, but that is approaching Hades at the hottest spot......

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    "borrowed against the cap"..... wow. Knew they were in cap hell, but that is approaching Hades at the hottest spot......
    That's what happens when you don't develop young players and hang onto veterans too long because they know the system and you are trying to get just one more.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    That's what happens when you don't develop young players and hang onto veterans too long because they know the system and you are trying to get just one more.
    I am sure that is the Steelers strategy.

Two failed drafts in a row will cause you to "hang onto veterans too long"........

Yes. You can claim they failed, but it is not like they didn't try to restock. You have heard it a hundred times, the players from 2008 and 2009 should be the ones on the field replacing the old guys today. Most are not even in football.

Legend

User Info Menu

I recently read somewhere (can't find it now) that a number of teams, the Steelers included, borrowed $1.5 million a few years ago against future caps. I believe that was something that came about because of the lockout and the new CBA after the uncapped year.

Rookie

User Info Menu

I thought that the Steelers had $1.5 million of unused cap space last year that they were permitted to move to this year...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    I thought that the Steelers had $1.5 million of unused cap space last year that they were permitted to move to this year...
    I thought I remembered that they were right up against the cap last season...when they had to sign a player in the middle of the season, they had to re-structure someone's salary just to squeeze out enough cap space to do that.

Rookie

User Info Menu

I've read several reports that state that the Steelers had about $1.3 million in unused cap space last year that may rollover to this year...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    They were keeping a superbowl roster together, damn near all championship teams try to do that...they are in an awkward position of old guys leaving and new guys coming in.

08 and 09 were no help, not for a lot of teams

Legend

User Info Menu

I am sure that is the Steelers strategy.

Two failed drafts in a row will cause you to "hang onto veterans too long"........

Yes. You can claim they failed, but it is not like they didn't try to restock. You have heard it a hundred times, the players from 2008 and 2009 should be the ones on the field replacing the old guys today. Most are not even in football.
    Those drafts were killers. Look at the failed picks:

- RB
    - Tall WR
    - OLB
    - DE

And looks at the picks that weren't retained:

- WR
    - CB

These were all areas of need that have been addressed with subsequent high picks or are areas of need today.

When you rely on the draft, you cannot come up empty with two classes. And especially with the Wallace situation, if you aren't going to be able to retain the player, you need to find a way to exchange that asset to return value. The third round comp pick, whoever it is, likely won't be a contributor until late 2014 or 2015, regardless of the side of the ball.

Legend

User Info Menu

Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha