Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cochery to visit

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

We are already going to have a lot of new blood next year. I'd love to keep Cotch. He works well with Ben and already knows Haley's system. My guess is that the team will probably be going after a WR in draft at some point as well. The more consistency we can keep, the better, IMO.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Without Ben, Cotchery's career is done elsewhere.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    The Panthers are worse off at WR than the Steelers are.

They might throw a 3 yr deal at him.
    Yeah, no kidding. Their top 4 WR last season were Steve Smith, Brandon LaFell, Dominick Nixon, and Ted Ginn. All 4 have signed elsewhere. Folks pegged Carolina native Hakeem Nicks as a shoo-in for the Panthers, but he signed with Indy. Cam Newton literally has jack squat at wideout right now.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    We are already going to have a lot of new blood next year. I'd love to keep Cotch. He works well with Ben and already knows Haley's system. My guess is that the team will probably be going after a WR in draft at some point as well. The more consistency we can keep, the better, IMO.
    Thanks for saving me the trouble of having to type that out Sugar. I agree completely with your thoughts on the subject.

We need to quit screwing around and sign him. It seemed like both sides wanted to get a deal done, then all of the sudden he's making visits elsewhere and we're bringing in his potential replacements.
    Last edited by Flasteel; 03-16-2014 at 10:57 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Yeah, no kidding. Their top 4 WR last season were Steve Smith, Brandon LaFell, Dominick Nixon, and Ted Ginn. All 4 have signed elsewhere. Folks pegged Carolina native Hakeem Nicks as a shoo-in for the Panthers, but he signed with Indy. Cam Newton literally has jack squat at wideout right now.
    Cam Newton finally had his big year. He's gonna need more than Cotchery to throw too.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I can't believe Cotch coming back to Pgh wasn't a given. He saved his career here. So, we are now missing 2/3's of our top 3 WRs. This might now force us to go Evans in the 1st.

Legend

User Info Menu

Sunday, March 16, 2014

WR could become an issue

The Steelers took an expected hit on Sunday when wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders signed a three-year deal with Denver worth $18 million.

But another, unexpected loss could also be on the way as free agent wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery is scheduled to visit Monday with the wide receiver-starved Carolina Panthers.

If the Steelers lose both wide receivers, they will be in a similar situation to Carolina. The Panthers released wideout Steve Smith last week and he signed with Baltimore, while Brandon LaFell, Carolina’s other starting wideout, signed with New England late Saturday night.

The Steelers still have Pro Bowl receiver Antonio Brown, but are now in danger of losing two of their top three wideouts.

Sanders was second on the team with 67 receptions for 760 yards and six touchdowns in 2013, while Cotchery led the Steelers with 10 touchdown receptions to go along with his 46 receptions for 602 yards.

If Cotchery, whom the Steelers would like to re-sign, agrees to a deal with Carolina, the only receivers other than Brown with NFL experience on Pittsburgh’s roster would be Derek Moye and Markus Wheaton, two players with eight combined career receptions.

The Steelers have had some talks with Cotchery’s agent and he just returned from a team-sponsored fan cruise on Saturday, but the 31-year-old played collegiately at North Carolina State.

Just in case, the Steelers also have set up a meeting with free agent wideout Lance Moore of New Orleans on Tuesday.

Pittsburgh has just over $3 million in remaining salary cap space after making five free agent signings last week, including Carolina safety Mike Mitchell, though the team can count on an additional $8 million in cap space being cleared June 1 when LaMarr Woodley’s contract comes off its books.

[URL]http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/2014/03/wr-could-become-issue.html[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Cotchery not expected to leave Charlotte tonight, so it looks they may be working on contract details, physical, etc.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thor75 View Post
    Cotchery not expected to leave Charlotte tonight, so it looks they may be working on contract details, physical, etc.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    X2..Ugh

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -